Credit card transaction

stanfordmed

08-18-2005, 03:48 PM

When I use credit card to pay for commodities or merchandise at dept. stores, the cashier inquires on how many ‘charges/payment/transaction’ would I prefer. I’m not sure if that’s what they mean because I do not understand Nihongo. In U.S., Europe, and other Asian countries that I’ve been to, it’s always a one-time charge. Would someone care to elaborate on this?

Paul

08-18-2005, 05:16 PM

it’s called “bunkatsu-barai”. they split the payment into the number of charges you want. this is convenient especially when you’re paying for a large amount or you’ve been using your card a lot and don’t want to max it out. for example, let’s say i buy a computer for 100,000 yen, i can split the payment into two 50,000 yen payments or more so i don’t need to have 100,000 yen in my bank account when they debit my account the next month. there are no extra charges up to a certain number of payments depending on your credit card.

hth

stanfordmed

08-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Thanks Paul. So for instance, if I request to split the charges into 3x, my account is charged or debited 1x/month for 3 consecutive months? Is there any cap on the amount or the split, or transaction fee/s?

Paul

08-18-2005, 06:08 PM

that’s right. most credit cards do not charge fees for splitting charges to 2 payments. but 3 or more payments will be charged a certain percentage (around 2% for 3x and increases with the number of payments). any limitations or other charges will depend on your credit card company.

stanfordmed

08-18-2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks for your input! :kiss:

makulit

08-18-2005, 07:27 PM

Hi. Makisingit na po sa usapan ninyo. Since credit card na po ang pinag-uusapan, maitanong ko lang …

Napapansin ko lang pag nag-internet shopping ako, yung payment type may ribo at bonus payment. Ano po ang ibig sabihin non? How does it work?

hotcake

08-18-2005, 09:20 PM

Hi. Makisingit na po sa usapan ninyo. Since credit card na po ang pinag-uusapan, maitanong ko lang …

Napapansin ko lang pag nag-internet shopping ako, yung payment type may ribo at bonus payment. Ano po ang ibig sabihin non? How does it work?Makikisingit na rin ako sa usapan niyo. BTW makulit, ang pagkakaintindi ko sa ribo barai ay revolving payment siya. Iyon bang kimateru ang babayaran mo every month. For example ¥5,000 lang monthly, iyon lang ang babayaran mo every month hanggang mabayaran mo ang kabuuan ng pinamili mo.Di ba siya nakasulat sa papel na natanggap mo from the credit card company? Then iyong bonus naman, I think is kung sa bonus mo babayaran, I’m not sure kung isang bigay lang siya or pwede mo siyang i-split sa natsu at fuyu bonus. Di ko pa na-try ang bonus, pero ang ribo na try ko na.

Maruchan

08-18-2005, 09:46 PM

Bonus barai or bonus payment means you pay your purchase in the bonus season – summer or winter bonus. You can split the payment into two, meaning you pay in two bonuses, but it depends on the department store and the credit card you are using. Most of the time no interest at all, but again, it always depends on the credit card you are using.

Let’s say you bought something worth 100,000 yen and you want to pay it twice during the bonus season. Then the credit card company will charge you 50,000 yen in June (or in July…depending which month your summer bonus falls) and another 50,000 in the winter bonus (which is usually in December).

neblus

08-18-2005, 09:53 PM

take care lang sa so-called “ribo-barai” or revolving payment at you will be charged between 13% to 15% monthly interests.

Also, never ever use credit card for cashing if you can avoid it. That is automatic 25% to 30%.

makulit

08-18-2005, 10:45 PM

Makikisingit na rin ako sa usapan niyo. BTW makulit, ang pagkakaintindi ko sa ribo barai ay revolving payment siya. Iyon bang kimateru ang babayaran mo every month. For example ¥5,000 lang monthly, iyon lang ang babayaran mo every month hanggang mabayaran mo ang kabuuan ng pinamili mo.Di ba siya nakasulat sa papel na natanggap mo from the credit card company? Then iyong bonus naman, I think is kung sa bonus mo babayaran, I’m not sure kung isang bigay lang siya or pwede mo siyang i-split sa natsu at fuyu bonus. Di ko pa na-try ang bonus, pero ang ribo na try ko na.
Thanks hotcake. 7 years ko na gamit credit card ko, nung mag-apply kami, nde pa yata available RIBO noon kaya hindi sya na explain. Nung na-implement naman ang RIBO, am sure nakatanggap ako ng information about it. Problema, hindi ako marunong bumasa ng japanese. Kaya most of the time, diretso sa BIN ang anumang letter galing sa credit card company :smiley: Thanks for RIBO explanation. Tinignan ko yung credit card statement ko last month. May nakalagay na リボ doon and may corresponding amount. So probably yun ang monthly payment.

makulit

08-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Bonus barai or bonus payment means you pay your purchase in the bonus season – summer or winter bonus. You can split the payment into two, meaning you pay in two bonuses, but it depends on the department store and the credit card you are using. Most of the time no interest at all, but again, it always depends on the credit card you are using.

Let’s say you bought something worth 100,000 yen and you want to pay it twice during the bonus season. Then the credit card company will charge you 50,000 yen in June (or in July…depending which month your summer bonus falls) and another 50,000 in the winter bonus (which is usually in December).

Hi Maruchan. Thank you very mch for bonus barai explanation. This is so cool if its 0 interest. :smiley:

makulit

08-18-2005, 10:50 PM

take care lang sa so-called “ribo-barai” or revolving payment at you will be charged between 13% to 15% monthly interests.

Also, never ever use credit card for cashing if you can avoid it. That is automatic 25% to 30%.

:eek: ang laki naman ang interest na yan? nung credit card company yan? i have not used ribo and cashing. thanks for the info. grabe naman interest …

Teddy

08-19-2005, 02:28 PM

bunkatsu-barai=bayad sa hulog?

Maruchan

08-22-2005, 08:27 PM

bunkatsu-barai=bayad sa hulog?

It means paying in installments.

pointblank

08-22-2005, 08:54 PM

Konnichiwa, Teddy.

In Tagalog, it is called “hulugan”. In modern Tagalog (slang), it is also called “gibs” (from “give”) or “drops” (literal translation of hulog = to drop). :smiley:

Sample usage: One OL selling a gold necklace to another OL.
OL 1: Oh, eto, kakakuha ko pa lang galing sa Ongpin. Mura lang, 1500 pesos, two gibs.
OL 2: Ay, maganda nga… pero gipit ako ngayon, pwedeng four drops na lang? :wink:

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.