numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he
told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the
oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he
noted that the water was not boiling, but instantly the water in the cup
“blew up” into his face.

The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water
had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face
is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may
leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye.

While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this
is fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a
microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be
placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as: a wooden stir stick, tea
bag, etc. It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea
kettle.

General Electric’s response:

Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist you.
The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids
do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually
get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble
up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea
bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid
for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the
microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

If you pass this on … you could very well save someone from a lot of pain
and suffering .

mcgregor

10-10-2005, 05:48 PM

very useful info. thanks, peacemaker. palagi pa naman akong nag-heat ng tubig using microwave.

docomo

10-10-2005, 05:55 PM

nice tip peace maker… i do this all the time … pabalik balik ang mug ng coffee ko sa microwave pag lumalamig na …lucky lang siguro kasi di pa ko natyetyempuhan:)

reon

10-10-2005, 06:41 PM

i’m always wary of email that i get from the internet such us this. i know there is some truth is this, however this is unduly alarmist and exaggerated – not surprisingly because this is a chain letter, and gets passed on over and over again on the internet. the last part gave it away: “if you pass this on you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.”

kung totoong “common occurance” ito, bakit wala akong nababalitaan nito sa japan, kung saan lahat ng tao may microwave?

it’s always good to learn about something from reputable websites than from people you don’t even know. i’m sure peacemaker got this from someone, who got from someone, who in turn got it from someone else ad infinitum and would have been embellished along the way if not entirely faked in the first place.

here are good sites:

Can Microwaved Water Explode? (http://urbanlegends.about.c om/library/weekly/aa011900a.htm) from About.com

A Superheated Debate (http://www.breakthechain.or g/exclusives/nukedh2o.html) from BreaktheChain.org

Superheating and Microwave Ovens (http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/superheating.html) from the School of Physics of the University of South Wales, with quicktime and mpeg videos. the water doesn’t explode.

the good news is, most microwave ovens in japan have settings for different kinds of food and drinks. i think there’s no need to worry.

(off-topic: kung may gustong subukan itong exploding water sa bahay nila, mas exciting ang cd o kahit aluminum foil sa loob ng microwave, hehe.)

sensei

08-01-2006, 03:57 PM

I had an experience boiling water using microwave…nasubuka n ko na ito pero ang nangyari…

na overheat yung baso at naiwan yung pwet nito sa loob ng microwave pag lift ko.

Syang yung baso…I bought it from 100yen shop :lol:

jannaria

08-09-2006, 02:50 AM

peacemaker, nagnyari yan sa isa sa mga kasamahan ko. nagpakulo sya ng tubig sa microwave pagkatapos,nilagyan nyan g vicks kc may ubo sya.tapos, noong binababa nya ulo nya para maamoy ang vicks, biglang pumutok ung tubig! napakainit! nagimbal kaming lahat! tapos,ginawa nya,pinunasan nya ng malamig na oshiburi ung face nya, biglang naglagas ung balat nya! my god,nakakatakot! isang buwan syang hindi nakapagtrabaho! kaya ako, ingat palagi!

mOtt_erU

09-20-2006, 01:02 AM

…salamat sa Useful Info na ito Peacemaker San:)

cosmicbblgum

09-20-2006, 04:46 AM

I’ve seen videos of some water microwaved and bumubulwak nga yun tubig kagad. Microwave is ok if not overused. Kaya nga microwave, by the name itself, they use high frequency waves to heat up something. If you see small satellite dishes na gamit sa mga towers or sa mga cell cites, they are also called microwave dishes. I used to work in the telecomms industry. If you directly stay in front of one dish (powered on) for a few minutes you’ll feel a bit dizzy, pag tumagal ka pa dun ng ilang oras or days, either may cancer ka na or baog ka na for sure.

And also limit the use of plastics. Plastics, though microwaveable are also bad for your health. The intestines slowly get damaged by repeated use of plastics. It also causes colon cancer. Kaya nga dati pinagbawal yang styrophors sa fast food, ceramics ang ipinalit, ewan kung bakit binalik yun.

Basta remember, anything artificial is too bad for the body. You may not see the effects now, but in the long run the damage will accumulate or build up. :wink:

Hensoldt

11-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Do NOT superheat water, especially distilled water in your microwave. Nuking a cup of water in the microwave for a minute or two should be enough, and reheating boiled water increases the chances of getting scalded by exploding hot water.

1_OXM4mr_i0

adechan

11-07-2007, 08:48 PM

pero meron naman na ngayong pre heat for milks ~~ meron dito sa microwave ko, i use that also for coffee, but didn’t tried water yet

and agree Hensoldt = superheat that makes sense

Hensoldt

11-07-2007, 09:03 PM

pero meron naman na ngayong pre heat for milks ~~ meron dito sa microwave ko, i use that also for coffee, but didn’t tried water yet

and agree Hensoldt = superheat that makes sense

It takes approximately 6 minutes to boil a cup of water in my microwave.
Good thing I don’t drink distilled water. Para sa battery ng kotse lang yon. :smiley:

adechan

11-07-2007, 09:11 PM

It takes approximately 6 minutes to boil a cup of water in my microwave.
Good thing I don’t drink distilled water. Para sa battery ng kotse lang yon. :smiley:

sus 6 minutes:eek:???
grabe naman pala eh
a cup of coffee or milk needs 40 seconds or a minute lang, minsan nakakapaso na ng dila ==

infinite_trial

11-07-2007, 09:11 PM

from snopes (http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp)

Hensoldt

11-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Here’s another example of what could happen after superheating water.

SC_NtH8vWSc

sisa

11-10-2007, 01:23 AM

kung “don’t microwave water”, e di vice versa rin: don’t water the microwave:bonk: :bricks: :smiley:

KikoyBalayon

11-10-2007, 02:38 AM

Here’s another example of what could happen after superheating water.

kewl… masubukan nga… :hihi:

shakey

11-10-2007, 11:11 AM

nice tip peace maker… i do this all the time … pabalik balik ang mug ng coffee ko sa microwave pag lumalamig na …lucky lang siguro kasi di pa ko natyetyempuhan:)

naku pareho tayo mod doc…ako naman milk ang pabalik balik sa micro wave ko…haaaayyy buti na lang di tayo nasasabugan sa muka.

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.