earthquake clouds

andres

12-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Last Thursday, a japanese friend came over to my place to teach me hanga (woodblock printing).

“There will be an earthquake,” she said. This was the first thing she told me. I could see she had a troubled expression.
“How do you know? Can they predict this sort of thing?” I asked, trying to make conversation while taking my coat off.
“From the clouds… The clouds speak to me, and they tell me that there will be an earthquake”.
I was startled, naturally. Our conversations have always been rather strange, but this was quite new.
“When will it happen?” I was scrutinizing the sky now, not so much to find anything there, but really to hide the incredulity that was surely on my face.
“Soon. Maybe in one week”.
I mean, come on. I am a scientist. What possible connection could clouds have to a tremor that is yet to happen?
“Will it be strong?”
“Yes”.

This morning (Monday) I happened to be on the same bus as my boss. He asks me " was your country affected by the earthquake?" Eh???
I definitely felt shivers run up and down my spine when I heard that!! It turns out to be the biggest earthquake in the past 40 years!! I’m sure you’ve all heard about it by now.

I haven’t talked to my japanese friend yet. But now I’m almost scared of her. And it turns out there are such things as “earthquake clouds” (yes, I googled up the words). Yet, as a scientist, I am still skeptical. Has anyone else heard of this??

nick

12-28-2004, 08:55 PM

coincidence, i say. very creepy though. :skull:

Paul

12-29-2004, 01:25 PM

earthquake prediction research is rife here in japan and everything from animal behavior to clouds have been the subjects of such research. a couple of years ago i saw this documentary on earthquakes and the latest on earthquake research. and yes, earthquake clouds were included. as far as i can remember, it has something to do with low frequency waves emanating from underground before the actual tremors reach the surface which causes some clouds to give of a reddish glow (i think). researchers here in japan have also produced significant results by observing abberations in fm radio frequencies before an earthquake.

but the way your friend told you about the clouds talking to her is a bit creepy.

sensei

05-02-2006, 11:14 AM

“There will be an earthquake,” she said. This was the first thing she told me. I could see she had a troubled expression.
“How do you know? Can they predict this sort of thing?” I asked, trying to make conversation while taking my coat off.
“From the clouds… The clouds speak to me, and they tell me that there will be an earthquake”.
I was startled, naturally. Our conversations have always been rather strange, but this was quite new.
“When will it happen?” I was scrutinizing the sky now, not so much to find anything there, but really to hide the incredulity that was surely on my face.
“Soon. Maybe in one week”.
I mean, come on. I am a scientist. What possible connection could clouds have to a tremor that is yet to happen?
“Will it be strong?”
“Yes”.

Onaji koto Iuwaretandesu…
Last April 30, on my way back to Izu Shizuoka, earthquake cloud no koto omoidashitandesu.
“Soiu kumo ga mittara nanika ga okoru…”
Kinilabutan ako…“pag ganito ang kumo ano na naman kaya sunod na mangyayari?” habang nakatingin sa ulap.
Nagulat na lang ako ng biglang nag-vibrate ang keitai ko…otousan da:D omiage no koto ka? hehe!!!

“Jishin attayo!!! Atami no hou de…shindo 5”

Bangis

05-02-2006, 01:43 PM

It could be possible to happen through observation of nature’s behaviour…

Kasi dati wala namang mga weather forecast at kung anu-ano pa… nature lang din ang ginagamit nila to predict or to assume what will happen next time, days and months…

:slight_smile:

chris_rock

05-02-2006, 01:48 PM

a lot of things, you just can’t explain. pati scientists, baffled din. not sure kung sa china yun pero sa lab, they study yung behavior ng animals. especially daw yung cockroaches and rats. since these are subterranean creaures, they are very sensitive to vibrations sa ground which could be a precursor to an earthquake.

sensei

05-02-2006, 08:13 PM

I’m here in Izu
…still worried
last week lang 4~5times in a day
takot ako sa lindol
sinasabi ng lahat
…may mas malakas na lindol na parating

kanina lang…
yureta:cry: :cry: :cry:
umiiyak na ako

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.