Engrish in Laoag, Ilocos Norte

Paul

08-24-2005, 07:39 PM

meron din tayong Engrish (http://engrish.com) sa 'pinas…
kuha to sa Laoag, Ilocos Norte…
malapit sa palengke…

http://www.timog.com/gallery/files/1/4/holyhouse.jpg

andres

08-24-2005, 11:52 PM

cool. hehe. saan 'to?

Oi reon!! Diba may nakita tayong ayos na engrish sign dyan sa tsukuba?? yung pagupitan yata. baka gusto mong i-post dito.:slight_smile:

reon

08-25-2005, 01:51 AM

magaling paul! pati kulay at composition magaling. ganito ang mga pictures na gusto kong kunin. andres, hindi ko na matandaan yang sinasabi mo. may picture ba ako nyan? :slight_smile:

stanfordmed

08-25-2005, 05:43 PM

meron din tayong Engrish (http://engrish.com) sa 'pinas…
kuha to sa Laoag, Ilocos Norte…
malapit sa palengke…

http://www.timog.com/gallery/files/1/4/holyhouse.jpg

Is this where the diocese hangs out?

Paul

08-25-2005, 06:07 PM

yup, it’s quite near the Laoag church. i’m pretty sure the drugs there are blessed.

Stacie Fil

08-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Guess the LORDS must also be there. :smiley:

City_rabbit

08-25-2005, 10:44 PM

I don’t know if this will also fall under Engrish… but last week at mass, an Ilocano accented woman near me was saying the Creed— I believe in God… instead of saying the " Creator of heaven and earth…" - I could not help but smile, when I heard her say… " Creature of heaven and earth…"
Oh, my God… help me… not to laugh I prayed…

By the way, I do enjoy the Engrish page… I have been a fan for a long time.

Here are some I enjoy… no photos, some that I have seen near my former office…One fruit shop near Kasumigaseki - “Fluits Stand” … and a few meters away - there was a sign - “Karaoke and music rounge”

One coffee maker had a sticker on it - “Now deliciously dripping for you”

Well, that is all I can remember for now…

Ciao…

stanfordmed

08-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Here are some I enjoy… no photos, some that I have seen near my former office…One fruit shop near Kasumigaseki - “Fluits Stand” … and a few meters away - there was a sign - “Karaoke and music rounge”

One coffee maker had a sticker on it - “Now deliciously dripping for you”

Well, that is all I can remember for now…

Ciao…

:toofunny: Quite funny, especially the later one! :biglaugh:

goldhorse

08-26-2005, 12:09 AM

And if you’ve been around long enough how can you miss Amuro Namie’s hit song, “Can You Celebrate?” I can still hear it at times in my nightmares.

stanfordmed

08-26-2005, 12:36 AM

And if you’ve been around long enough how can you miss Amuro Namie’s hit song, “Can You Celebrate?” I can still hear it at times in my nightmares.

:jiggy: :band:
(Can you celebrate?
Can you kiss me tonight?
We will love long long time)
Wo…omoide kara
Hon no sukoshi nuke dasezu ni
Tatazunderu wake mo nakute
Namida afure egao koboreteru
(Can you holde me tight?
Let’s a party time tonight
Say goodbye my lonely heart
Say hello forever)
Eien te iu kotoba nante
Shiranakatta yo ne
Can you celebrate?
Can you kiss me tonight?
We will love (long long time)
Futari kiri da ne konya kara wa
Douzo yoroshiku ne
Can you celebrate?
Can you kiss me tonight?
I can celebrate

Pleasant dreams! :sleep:

pointblank

08-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Buti pa kayo, you were able to understand what Amuro was saying…

The first time I head the song, I almost choked on my coffee because I thought I heard: Can you CELIBATE??? E ba’t ka humihingi ng kiss tonight?

stanfordmed

08-26-2005, 03:05 PM

The first time I head the song, I almost choked on my coffee because I thought I heard: Can you CELIBATE??? E ba’t ka humihingi ng kiss tonight?

Kung celibate, p’wede naman humingi ng kiss, ewan ko lang about the ‘we will love long long time’… :smiley:

Dax

08-26-2005, 03:08 PM

How about “Body Feels Exit”? Another Amuro hit. Ano kaya ang ibig ipahiwatig?:confused :

stanfordmed

08-26-2005, 03:23 PM

How about “Body Feels Exit”? Another Amuro hit. Ano kaya ang ibig ipahiwatig?:confused :

:band:
Body feels exit
Body feels excite
Koko made donna michi wo aruite
Anata to yatto tadoritsuita ka wo
Nanika miezu ni dakedo nanika wo
Mitsuketakatta yo heya ni hitorikiri
Hiza wo kakaete ugokenaku tatte body feels! …:whistle:

goldhorse

08-26-2005, 08:23 PM

It’s called OBE, or Out of Body Experience. Sometimes also called Astral Flight…

Dax

08-27-2005, 04:20 PM

Naruhodo ne…nakakapag-OBE pala si Amuro-chan. Sugoi! :nuts:

Dkid

08-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Mercado: You speak ‘Filglish’?
By Juan L. Mercado

(Many gripe they’re worn down by the crisis mode of the news: from oil prices to impeachment. That’s also true of us in media.

We’ll get back to the emergency Monday. For this weekend, here’s some lighter stuff on play of words–from Pinoy “combos” to the Washington Post–Juan L. Mercado)

Yearly, the Washington Post’s “Mensa Invitational” asks readers: alter any word–by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition. Here are this year’s winners:

Ignoranus: A person who’s both stupid and an asshole. Then, there’s glibido: All talk and no action. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.

Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito. Gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

Caterpallor (n.): is the color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you’re eating. However, giraffiti is vandalism spray-painted very, very high.

Sarchasm is the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn’t get it. But hipatitis is terminal coolness.

Reintarnation is coming back to life as a hillbilly (or as a promdi?). But bozone is the substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Our play on words tend to weave in and out of Pilipino and English. That results in “Filglish”? If you speak Filglish, these combos should be easy for you.

Use “be cool” and “I’ll buy” in a sentence. Answer: The tourist went to Mayon volcano in I’ll buy, be cool" (Albay, Bicol). Use “laity” in a sentence. Taga “laity” si Imelda Marcos.

Or use “deletion” in a sentence. Answer: The balat of “deletion” is crispy. How about using “schooling” in a sentence?

Answer: As the phone rings, you say “Hello? Who ‘schooling’ plis?" Then, use “decanter” in a sentence. Answer: You can order that medicine over “decanter."

Why, there’s even an extended section for those who can read and understand Tagalog. Read on:

Use “borrow” in a sentence. Ang dumi naman ng “borrow” mo. Use “cadet” in a sentence. “Cadet” ko si Monina nung isang gabi. Ngayon, ikaw naman ang “cadet” niya. Or use “cardiac” in a sentence. Na "cardiac yung kotse ni Pedro noong isang gabi.

Can you use “dedicate” in a sentence? Pag ginamitan ng glue, siguradong "dedicate” iyan. Use “mention” in a sentence. Ang laki ng bahay nila, parang “mention.” Use “diffusion” in a sentence. Brown-out…siguradong “diffusion” pumutok.

Signs on street food stalls can also be uniquely Pinoy. They can help you choose what and how to order your meal. “Here’s a sanitized version of Karinderya Menu,” Ding Roces writes. “Some items were a bit too sexually explicit for General Viewing:”

You’ve bumped across “tapsilog." This is, by far, the most ubiquitous signboard. That’s from “tapa” or dried beef, “sinangag” is fried rice, while “itlog” is egg.

Fried rice and eggs anchor various combinations. These are signaled by the first syllable.

Thus “longsilog” means longganisa or sausage is the main staple. “Hotsilog” is where hotdog is centerpiece. “Porksilog” and “chicksilog” are self-explanatory.

But have you tried the exotics? “Azucarrera,” for example? That’s shorthand for “adobong aso” or fried dog meat–something the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals decries. “Kalkal” is “kalderetang kalabaw” or stew from carabao meat, not goat this time.

For penny-pinchers, there are budget meals: “Kalog” is from kanin and means no frills rice and eggs. “Luglog” is eggdrop with soft-boiled rice–what the Chinese call “congee.” "Pakaplog” is the Pinoy version of continental breakfast: pandesal, kape at itlog.

And there is: “bahaw.” This is “kaning lamig ito pero may nagtinda”–cold left over rice that is still being peddled.

Finally, have you looked at our billboards recently? There’s one about “Signature Brands” from the Philippines. Displayed at a souvenir store in the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, this large signboard reads: “Choice Signature Brands (All Made in the Philippines).”

A list of the “signatures” offered then follows: CK–Cavite Kamiseta; YSL–Yari Sa Laguna; UCB–Under the Coconut tree in Baclaran; DKNY–Divisoria Kanto Ng Ylaya; and GQ–Galing Quiapo.

Adjacent is a sign pitched to balikbayans who have complete immigration and customs checks for their return fights:

"Mga balikbayan! Ito ang inyong bilhin at signatures na signatures po ang mga ito. Magandang ipasalubong sa mga kamag-anak ninyo sa America at sa EU (Returnees–These are genuine signatures you should buy. Your loved ones in America and Europe will appreciate these as gifts).

On display at Tiangge in Greenhills was this child’s Superman costume with the text: “Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.” [Don’t blame the company, blame the parents!]

“Just passing on the good news folks,” Ding writes. “I recently bought a signature shoe and shirt myself.”

(juan_mercado@pacifi c.net.ph)

jhayelle

09-08-2005, 08:12 AM

“we will love long long time” lol hahahaha fan pa naman ako ni amuro :smiley:

Firipinjin

07-13-2006, 11:46 AM

boobtube booboos:

Host: Is the economy improving this year?

Guest: We think so. Our statistics show that there is a rise in the national per cavity income. (We have more money — but our teeth hurt!)

Host: After your modeling tutorial session, are you a better model now?

Guest: Yes, when I model now, my walk is more bouncely! (Ay, bouncely!)

Host: How much do you admire (name of beauty queen)?

Guest: Oh, so much! She was the one who idolized me to also join a beauty pageant! (Point of clarification: Who’s the idol here?)

Host: Why did you join the recent political rallies?

Guest: Frankly, because I think our leaders now should be changed, they should be outsed from power! (Ay, outsed!)

Host: People say we don’t have enough really good actors. Do you agree?

Guest: No, we have many good young actors, but they have not yet been given major roles, so they’re still waiting the wings, as the saying goes. (No, that’s not how it goes…)

Host: How should this political conflict be resolved?

Guest: Through legal means, that’s why they are threating to bring the case to the court. (Ay, threating!)

This happened many years ago though I can’t remember when… A local actress was interviewed on a talk show and the host asked what her favorite dish was. To which the actress replied: “I love Chinese diseases”

Some people say the darnest, stupidest (is there even such a word?) things on TV……

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.