Japanese films

totomai

11-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Ive watched Zatoichi and Nobody Knows and I can say that these two films are very good.

Anyone who had watch some japanese films? any recommendations? :open_mouth:

Dax

11-07-2005, 01:11 PM

One is Shall We Dance? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V7S34/104-0594117-6885563?v=glance&n=404272&s=video&v=glance), the original Japanese movie. I haven’t watched the Hollywood remake, but friends who have seen both say the original is better. :slight_smile:

Btw, my father recommends the older Zatoichi series (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/3CK744PU8ZO4U/qid=1131336574/sr=5-1/ref=sr_5_1/104-0594117-6885563). He says Beat Takeshi’s version is “pwede na” but the older ones which he has seen in the 60’s and 70’s ARE great movies. Can’t find them in the shops here anymore, so I buy online from Amazon and have them sent to him. Miss nya na daw hehe. Hmm gusto ko din mapanood paguwi ko sa Pinas.

BEBOT

11-07-2005, 01:14 PM

Hello totomai!
I’ve watched “Shall We Dance” and Bito Takeshi’s “Doll”. Two good japanese films, for me.
bebot

betong

11-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Anyone who had watch some japanese films? any recommendations? :open_mouth:
Any movie from one of the best Japanese directors to date, Kurosawa. Have been wanting to watch the Seven Samourais (Shichinin Samourai) but haven’t yet, this is probably his most famous one.
Most of the best one’s were shot in the 50’s to the 70’s before the general quality went down. Of course there are still good ones coming out from time to time garnering worldwide acclaim. Beat Takeshi movies are quite known in the west.

Raiden

11-07-2005, 06:22 PM

I’ve seen The Twilight Samurai (Hiroyuki Sanada). Set during the days before the Meiji Restoration. Great movie.

Another one is Brother (Takeshi “Beat” Kitano). Not exactly a Japanese movie, but the main guy was Beat Takeshi. Set in the U.S., with the Yakuza taking on the Mafia.

And for those who have a taste for the macabre. Try Ichi The Killer.

summer

11-07-2005, 07:21 PM

I watched the drama “Hotaru no Haka”. NOt the anime one. Nagandahan ako (naiyak na rin).

docomo

11-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Zatoichi - good movie … a story of a blind samurai… a bit of a comedy …But I love the actions scenes , looks like Brotherhood of the wolf

The Grudge (japanese version) super nakakatakot

In the Realm of the senses ~ good movie din po

In the Realm of the pleasure ~ good movie din:)

docomo

11-07-2005, 07:33 PM

ni-erase ko na po …sorry po nadoble … hahaha (minus)

betong

11-07-2005, 08:11 PM

In the Realm of the senses ~ good movie din po

Ah, the famous egg scene…
This movie hasn’t been shown in it’s original version in Japan due to censorship, I don’t know if the current DVD versions available in Japan are uncensored.:coffee:

docomo

11-07-2005, 09:03 PM

( coffee din ako like betong , nainggit ako:coffee: )

Akira Kurosawa films ~ “Ran” maganda din po (think “KING LEAR” in japanese setting) followed closely by “Seven Samurai” which was the inspiration for “The Magnificent Seven”… Most of his movies are shogun/samurai period war films…so if you’re into that kind of thing , check it out:)

puting tainga

11-08-2005, 12:24 AM

As I have mentioned in other threads, I mainly watch Hollywood movies.

However, partly because I want to brush up my Japanese, I made it a rule to watch famous Japanese movies occasionally.
I have watched almost all the movies other members mentioned above.
They are good, indeed.

Director Juzo Itami’s movies are good, too.
Especially the cult movie “Tampopo” is good.
It is a story of a ramen shop.

Also I enjoy watching B-class Yakuza movies.
Sho Aikawa, Riki Takeuchi are the famous actors for B-class Yakuza movies.
Gokudo no onnna tachi, (Wives of Yakuza) series are fun to watch, too.

crister

11-08-2005, 12:44 AM

sa mga napanood kong mga Japanese Movies, 2 lang ang nagustuhan ko…

WaterBoys at SwingGirls…kasi kahit di ko naiintindihan ang mga sinasabi eh nasusundan ko ang story…hehehehehehe

Pero may sinabi sa amin ang isa namin kaibigan na Hapon na meron daw Japanese Movie na magandang panoorin kasi halos lahat daw ng common conversation na gamit sa pangaraw araw ay ginamit sa movie na ito, meron ba nakakaalam sa inyo kung ano ang Title kasi nakalimutan na nya eh…

totomai

11-08-2005, 08:33 AM

uy marami pong salamat sa mga films na inerekomenda ninyo, mahanap nga para mabawasan ang lungkot dito sa japan :slight_smile:

may isa pa pala akong napanood, ung Spirited Away na cartoons, tapos ung Mountain Patrol di ko alam kung chinese o Japanese e. :smiley:

Hilig ko kasi manood ng mga pelikula ng ibang bansa, haha, wala sa aking interest ang Hollywood movies :cool:

Dax

11-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Try Ichi The Killer.
Just saw the trailer at www.ichithekiller.ne t and it stirred up my curiosity. I wanna watch this. :smiley:

Raiden

11-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Just saw the trailer at www.ichithekiller.ne t (http://www.ichithekiller.ne t) and it stirred up my curiosity. I wanna watch this. :smiley:

You ought to have a strong stomach though.

This movie is not for the squeamish. :yikes:

I’m currently looking for the movie Audition, directed by the same director of Ichi The Killer. I’ve read some good reviews about it.

totomai

11-09-2005, 08:56 AM

sa mga napanood kong mga Japanese Movies, 2 lang ang nagustuhan ko…

WaterBoys at SwingGirls…kasi kahit di ko naiintindihan ang mga sinasabi eh nasusundan ko ang story…hehehehehehe

Pero may sinabi sa amin ang isa namin kaibigan na Hapon na meron daw Japanese Movie na magandang panoorin kasi halos lahat daw ng common conversation na gamit sa pangaraw araw ay ginamit sa movie na ito, meron ba nakakaalam sa inyo kung ano ang Title kasi nakalimutan na nya eh…

may nakita ako nito, kaso ang mahal ng dvd, di kasali sa sale :smiley:

adechan

08-22-2006, 11:00 AM

男たちの大和
otoko tachi no YAMATO

I still didn’t watch the whole movie, but my husband recommended it. He even bought the dvd.

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.