Juken benkyo anyone?

chepot

07-30-2005, 08:29 AM

anybody who experienced sending their child on juku? planning to send my daughter on a catholic school and having her juken benkyo…she is now on her 4th grade &was shocked coz super advanced ang pinagaaralan niya…i know she needs support from me coz medyo lzy sya when it comes sa academic… anybody who have sensible ideas pra maabsorb nya ang mga lessons niya…heard na medyo madugo ang entrance exams dito for a private high school…:confused:

Teddy

07-31-2005, 10:10 AM

I myself went to juku(but that was when I was in high school.). I decided to go there because I was so shocked when I realized how far away what I was learning in school then and what I needed to know to get into college was. Senseis at juku are all pros. They know how to get your kids into school they want to, have all the data of what school your kids can get in, all the entrance exams from the past years for certain schools and so on. I must say I learned a lot more in juku than in school. Unfortunately, what they learn in school is not enough for kids to get in any prestigious private schools in Japan. But of course it’s up to your kid if getting motivated to study harder or only disillusioned at tough competition with other kids. There are also one-on-one type of jukus. You can always move to another juku if you don’t like it there. Pero yung nga lang hindi ganun kamura yung tuition fee… Good luck!

chepot

07-31-2005, 08:47 PM

hi there!!!thanks for the idea…actually since she was in grade 3 i have researched all the juku school near our area…fortunately, ive found one and that was where she was enrolled now…maybe u r familiar with it…(nichinoken) they have all the branches nationwide and most of my friends says that it is a good one kya lang medyo mataas ang level…the gesha is also kinda high but still i decided to enroll her…
when she was in pre-school, i sent her early.(2 years old.)its an extra ordinary pre-school… medyo tipong montessory ang teaching…fortunatel y, 4 years she was in pilot class…but, my husband refused to enrolled her sa private elementary school coz parehas lang daw ang turo…dont have any knowledge at all so, i enrolled her to a government school…there, since advanced ang utak nya, she became lazy and she realized na even if she doent study, she can pass…now, i am really worried coz her study habits changed…i thought of transferring her to another juku but she insists…her friends nung pre-school were there and enjoying most of her time…but still, medyo behind sya on all the tests…dont wanna pressure her pro, really, i am really disturbed…
by the way, how much time do u spend when u study? my daughter spend only 1 hour most of the time but ngayon summer vacation, 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon that is when she doesnt have any extra curricular activity…
thanks really…i appreciate much…more power!!!:bowdown:

maple

07-31-2005, 10:07 PM

hi there!!!thanks for the idea…actually since she was in grade 3 i have researched all the juku school near our area…fortunately, ive found one and that was where she was enrolled now…maybe u r familiar with it…(nichinoken) they have all the branches nationwide and most of my friends says that it is a good one kya lang medyo mataas ang level…the gesha is also kinda high but still i decided to enroll her…
when she was in pre-school, i sent her early.(2 years old.)its an extra ordinary pre-school… medyo tipong montessory ang teaching…fortunatel y, 4 years she was in pilot class…but, my husband refused to enrolled her sa private elementary school coz parehas lang daw ang turo…dont have any knowledge at all so, i enrolled her to a government school…there, since advanced ang utak nya, she became lazy and she realized na even if she doent study, she can pass…now, i am really worried coz her study habits changed…i thought of transferring her to another juku but she insists…her friends nung pre-school were there and enjoying most of her time…but still, medyo behind sya on all the tests…dont wanna pressure her pro, really, i am really disturbed…
by the way, how much time do u spend when u study? my daughter spend only 1 hour most of the time but ngayon summer vacation, 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon that is when she doesnt have any extra curricular activity…
thanks really…i appreciate much…more power!!!:bowdown:
hello chepot, welcome to TF.

pwedeng sumingit sa usapan niyo? eh eto na nga…sumingit na ako:)

anyway, arent you becoming a 教育 Momma? You enrolled your daughter in a pre- school at the age of 2? Two year old kids are supposed to be rambunctious...ang tawag nga ay terrible 2. I dont know what they teach to 2 year old kids in an extra ordinary pre-school, but look at your daughter, sa kwento mo, seems like shes lost interest now.

give her a break. Look at her other talents and have faith in Japanese public schools too.

Maple

Teddy

07-31-2005, 10:48 PM

Yung ay depende talaga sa kakayahan nya… Sa kaso ko, sa average ng 8-10 oras ako nag-aral para sa college entrance exam(nyu-si=nyugaku-shiken), pero hindi naman ako pumasa sa college na pinakagusto kong pasukan… hay…

Suggestion ko po ay subukan nyong maghanap ng juku kung saan pinakamaraming students galing sa yung juku ay pumasa sa yung school na gustong pasukan ng anak nyo.

makulit

08-01-2005, 03:48 PM

hello chepot, welcome to TF.

pwedeng sumingit sa usapan niyo? eh eto na nga…sumingit na ako:)

anyway, arent you becoming a 教育 Momma? You enrolled your daughter in a pre- school at the age of 2? Two year old kids are supposed to be rambunctious...ang tawag nga ay terrible 2. I dont know what they teach to 2 year old kids in an extra ordinary pre-school, but look at your daughter, sa kwento mo, seems like shes lost interest now.

HI Maple, my daughter started going to Yochien at 2 years old din. I think its normal to do this specially if both parents are working. Its nothing out of the ordinary. Ganon talaga dito …

Chepot may tanong ako, sabi mo advance ang tinuturo. Well, my daughter still has 2 years to go in Yochien naman. Pero what do u mean by too advance? Can you give me ideas what do they teach in gradeschool?

chepot

08-01-2005, 04:29 PM

halu!!!:wink: as what uve said,tomobataraki kami ng husband ko…we both work and here, baby sitters eh mahal…i can send them to day care centers pro,i prefer to send them sa pre-school… i believe kc na human species starts to learn from day one… i mean from the day we were born pa lang…have read this book entitled "HOW TO RAISE A BRIGHTER CHILD-THE CASE FOR EARLY LEARNING"by JOAN BECK… i t says na “early stimulation can actually produce changes in the size, structure and chemical functioning of the brain…“i never dreamed naman na my children to finish school with honors…i just like them to go to a good school…i also believe na there is no such things as genius…nasa study habits yon…im just plain mother who cares bout her own children…and i am sure most mothers are like that…yung kids ko eh grade 4 na and grade one…they graduated already sa yochien…yung eldest ko now is studying at a juku school for preparations sa entrance exams for high school. Yung tinuturo sa school eh not enough for them na makapasa sa entrance exam…tinuturo lang dun ay panay basics…” Gimu kyouiku” pag elementary and junior high school so, basta present ka parati and di ka problem student, u can pass…(thats what i observed)

wanted to correct MAPLE bout her statement…i dont have anything against publicschools. kanya kanyang diskarte yan…"i believe na kailangan lang ng daughter ko ng konting motivations…thats why humihingi po ako ng payo…and, one thing more pala…my kid is also taking ballet lessons and swimming lessons since she was 4…coz ayoko din naman ang puro aral lang…nakakasakal di bwa?:kiss: mata na!!!

reon

08-01-2005, 08:32 PM

hello chepot, teddy, maple at makulit! pasingit din sa usapan. :slight_smile:

ako rin, may pinapaaral at medyo concerned ako dahil parang hindi sapat ang itinuturo sa public elementary school dito sa amin. may kaibigan kami sa pilipinas na nasa elementary school din ang anak at base sa kuwento nila, advanced ang lessons doon sa school nila (admittedly, isa sa pinakamagaling na private schools ito sa los banos) kumpara sa school ng anak ko dito sa tsukuba (at siguro lahat ng ordinaryong public school sa japan).

ang tanong ko ay: kung gusto mo na pumunta sa isang magandang high school (at university) ang anak mo, kailangan ba talagang i-enroll sa juku? hindi matatakasan ito ibig sabihin?

habang nasa usapa tayo ng juku, tamang-tamang may informative article dito ang japan times: cram schools cash in on failure of public schools (http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ek200 50728a1.htm). baka gusto ninyong basahin. interesting reading. yoroshiku.

chepot

08-02-2005, 12:37 PM

howdy bowdy reon…thanks for d article…very interesting…bout your question…i think the answer is yes…pro, it will depend kung nong grade sya mag start…in my case, ive observed natong aking panganay eh nagbago ang study habits…kc nga pa easy-easy lang ang lessons sa school. she is interested more sa paglalaro…thats why ive enrolled her last sem. sa juku school. according naman sa mga hearsay na once u attend a juku school makakapass ka ng entrance exam to any private school…sa case ko lang here eh i wanted my child to go sa catholic school here in kantou area…which medyo mataas ang percentage ng mga pumapasok na bata…meaning ninki aru…now, kung di ka man pumasok sa private school ng junior high, once na graduate sya ng elem.automatically, makakaenroll sya sa government school pra sa junior high…kc nga,“gimmu kyouiku” compulsory education. pro, di rin makakaligtas ang anak mo coz she/he has to study naman for senior high entrance exam…ganon din…lots of schools to choose…kaya it will depend yon sa utak ng bata and of course sa decison ng parents…

maple

08-02-2005, 09:09 PM

halu!!!:wink: as what uve said,tomobataraki kami ng husband ko…we both work and here, baby sitters eh mahal…i can send them to day care centers pro,i prefer to send them sa pre-school… i believe kc na human species starts to learn from day one… i mean from the day we were born pa lang…
Hello Chepot,

I`m sorry, akala ko kasi ay puro aral na lang ang ipinagagawa mo sa anak mo.

And Nick, sorry if I wander off from the original topic (juken benkyou/ juku). I just cant help myself from sharing my story, since Chepot mentioned first her preference.

I began to send my daughter to Hoikuen when she was 4. Would you believe guys na walang Yochien dito sa town namin:eek:

Two of my daughters dokyusei since Nensho (class for 4 year old kids) in Hoikuen are now studying in Kyoto University. They have been my daughters playmates even before they began attending Hoikuen. Prior to Hoikuen, am pretty sure, these 2 brilliant kids didnt take any kind of education at any toddlers cram school.

The three of them attended the same hoikuen, elem school, Jr High and Senior High school. They started attending the same cram school (iisa lang naman kasi ang cram school sa katabing barrio pa namin) when they were in Junior High na.

When my daughter was in Senior High, her dai ichi kibou school was Hiroshima University. When she told her adviser about this, wala naman kaming narinig na " discouraging remarks" from her adviser.

Maybe, had we (hubby and I), not shown our daughter some other parts of the world when she was 17 (which made her change her mind from pursuing college in Japan), MAYBE, she would have taken the entrance exam to Hiroshima U. Had she passed the exam then, talagang magpapa-Matsuri ako dito sa bakuran namin…lol

kalypso

08-03-2005, 09:50 AM

. i believe kc na human species starts to learn from day one… i mean from the day we were born pa lang…
ako naman, i do believe that learning starts in the mother’s womb pa lang :).

welcome nga pala to timog forum, chepot. have a pleasant stay.

chepot

08-05-2005, 02:19 PM

hi maple dear…hmmmm…it seems u r blessed with a brilliant child…and so your friends child…i dont know what is the emphasis of your message…i know hiroshima university is a good school and a national university…wow!!!ku ng ang kid ko eh pumasa on that kind of school same here, magpapa obon matsuri din ako…imagine, i will not spend much on her schooling di ba? but i never thought of it pa…my daughter has 2 1/2 years more to go for the entrance exam for high school…so,college is a bit far pa…again, i dont have anything against parents who do not send their child on cram school…maybe, when the time she wants to go to a university, she will be matured enough to understand why she has to study more for the entrance…
she can go to her fathers alma mater “JAPAN UNIVERSITY”…her father graduated there from junior,senior and college…it is much easier for my children to go there pero, i dont want it that way…i want them to set them a goal… to strive hard for what they want…

we all have different preferences in life…i respect yours and please respect mine also…we all learn from our mistakes…and we learn also from our children…i just started this topic asking for advice lang naman who have experience sending their kids to a juku…i know teddy is right bout what he wrote…and thinking about it right now…

thanks again for the concern…GOD BLESS YOU

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.