Letter from the Philippines: Long afterward, war still wears on Filipinos

andres

08-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Here’s an interesting article from the International Herald Tribune:

“For a people wounded by Japan like no other in Southeast Asia, Filipinos are now very friendly toward Japan.”
Tungkol sa historical amnesia ng mga pinoy, atbp.
basahin po dito>> (http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/08/12/news/phils.php)

(note: hindi ko na matandaan kung kailangan pang mag-register sa IHT, pero libre lang yan)

reon

08-14-2005, 08:05 AM

related article: Kamikaze statue sums up Asia’s feelings (http://www.washingtonpost.c om/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/13/AR2005081300651.html ).

i’m not excusing Japan’s wartime atrocities, but to be fair, Spain and the U.S. (who together occupied the philippines for 400 years) did worse things to the filipinos yet we also don’t get to hear those stories.

Teddy

08-14-2005, 09:36 AM

When I was in the Philippines the first time around as an exchange student, one of my next door students was Korean(I stayed in a dorm for international students.). I went to his room to say hi, and he started to talk about what Japan did to Koreans during WW2. I’m not saying, “Come on. Let’s just forget all about this and move on”, but I don’t know anything about the war which ended more than half-centry ago, and Japan is one of the peaceful nations in the world as you may all know(Some people even we are “heiwa boke”(lack of a sense of crisis because of too much of a peaceful state of the country), it’s just that I was just trying to be nice to him and make friends with him.(In fairness, all the other Koreans were all nice to me.) I just want Korean(and Chinese) people to know we are not a threat to them any more and stop teaching thier new generations how evil Japan is in order to establish a healthy friendly relationship for the future. We have changed. We are “tamed”. The lesson we Japanese should have in mind is that we should not repeat the shameful history.

I appreciate the Pilipino people’s warm hospitality to Japanese:)

sam

08-15-2005, 12:07 AM

“The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places.”
-from ‘A Farewell to Arms’ by Earnest Hemingway.

I just read ‘Ghost Soldiers’. The main piece of this book is the daring rescue of American POWs (remnants of the horrible Bataan Death March in 1942) from a Japanese prison camp in the Philippines by the heroic act of American Army Rangers and Filipino Guerrillas but it is also filled with war backgrounds that would give a hint why there is brutality, injustice, torture and suffering on both sides. By the way, the first movie version (‘The Great Raid’ under Miramax) of this epic rescue operation is about to be release sometime next week starring our very own, Cezar Montano as Capt. Pajota. Spielberg together with Tom Cruise has another one.

Dax

08-15-2005, 10:55 AM

we tend to forgive and forget that’s why. we should forgive but never forget.

related article: Kamikaze statue sums up Asia’s feelings (http://www.washingtonpost.c om/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/13/AR2005081300651.html ).

i’m not excusing Japan’s wartime atrocities, but to be fair, Spain and the U.S. (who together occupied the philippines for 400 years) did worse things to the filipinos yet we also don’t get to hear those stories.

munting tinig

08-16-2005, 02:19 PM

PARENG REON HELLO!

DI YATA’T PUSPUSAN ANG PAGMAMAHAL MO SA BANSANG HAPON AH!!!

PATI SA INUMIN KITANG KITA…

MINSAN NAKAKALUNGKOT ISIPIN MARAMING KABABAYAN NATIN ANG MADALING MAKALIMOT

PERO DI KITA MASISISI KALIMOT-LIMOT NAMAN KASI ANG ILANG EXPERIYENSA NATIN SA SARILING BAYAN EH…

neblus

08-16-2005, 10:24 PM

EXACTLY, munting tinig.

Marami na tayong problema sa ngayon, pwede ba, let us solve those first then kung gusto nating balikan iyong mga dati pang problema, then go ahead…

reon

08-18-2005, 09:59 PM

PARENG REON HELLO! DI YATA’T PUSPUSAN ANG PAGMAMAHAL MO SA BANSANG HAPON AH!!! PATI SA INUMIN KITANG KITA…pareng munting tinig, anong inumin ang sinasabi mo? :slight_smile:

hindi naman sa mahal ang bansang hapon, nilaglagyan ko lang ng perspective ang mga bagay-bagay. mahirap magdebate tungkol sa mga ganitong bagay kasi hindi matatapos. ang opinion ko lang ay: sa halip na umangal tayo tungkol sa mga pangit na nangyari sa ating bansa, bakit hindi tayo gumawa ng paraan para tayo umangat? (kunyari, kagaya ng ginawa ng south korea – o kahit japan mismo.) pero alam naman natin na wala sa isip ng mga lider natin sa pilipinas ang ganitong bagay.

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.