Message edit and delete by members

nick

09-03-2005, 07:44 PM

As everyone knows, members are not allowed to delete their posts or threads. And they are only allowed to edit their messages within 2 hours of posting.

I believe that posters should take responsibility for the messages that they post in the forums. Messages in the forums cannot be deleted, by principle. Just like in real life, once you say something, you really can’t “take it back”. All you can do is to clarify it, tell people it’s mistake, or tell them you are sorry for it.

I actually think that 2 hours for editing one’s post is too long. I’m thinking of shortening it to 15 minutes. Why? Because it only takes about fifteen minutes for the poster to realize he had made a double post or spelling error. Especially now that we have more than 400 members, a post (especially a provocative one) will probably get a lot of responses within two hours.

What would happen if the first poster edited his post to give a completely different meaning from his original message (or replaced it with “moderators please delete this post”)?

In fact, any user who edits his/her post within the edit limit and effectively changed his/her message into something completely different (or replaced it with “post deleted” or something similar) when other members have already responded will get a warning. Repeated violations will earn a ban. (With a 15-minute edit time, this possiblity is remote.)

Of course, corrections for double posts (and the like) are understandable – and we will gladly do this for members, though it’s very time-consuming for us.

Discuss this if you want.

puting tainga

09-03-2005, 08:18 PM

I agree.:smiley:
You say something, you can not take it back.

As for editing, for me, 15-minute new time limit is fine.
Spell checker helps me a lot.
Also, I read twice before clicking the “submit reply” button.
I am always afraid what if what I say may be rude or I may look stupid.:confused:

betong

09-03-2005, 08:44 PM

I think that 15 minutes may be too short and yes 2 hours a bit too long. And people should think twice (or more) before typing in something. I myself received an answer to my post that at first I thought was offensive only to find the same post a day later rewritten.

By the way, congratulations on the success of this site!:toast:

Bayer

09-04-2005, 02:12 AM

15 Minutes is way too long. Make it simple, once the “Submit Reply or Post” is depressed, it’s posted with no delete or edit allowed.

What was that word again Stanfordmed??? Responsibility!:slight_smile: Concur!:slight_smile:

nick

09-19-2005, 08:15 AM

We have rules in Timog but we also have exceptions. Let’s face it: people make mistakes. If we get a request for the deletion of an embarassing post, we will evaluate the post and make the decision accordingly. (We’ve deleted a number of posts as requested by members.) However, if an embarassing post is directed at another member, deletion is not the solution; apology is.

There is no hard and fast rule for this. However, when we make our decisions, the guiding principle is always the benefit of the group. Let’s remember that Timog Forum is above all a community, and as with all communities, we have to balance individual rights and the good of the whole.

It seems clear to us that granting members the right to delete threads and posts and closing and opening threads will not benefit the community; it will lead to disorder. I have no doubt that the majority of members will use these rights responsibly. However, other members are less likely to do so, and in times when judgment is clouded by emotions, even senior members will err.

We always try to do what is good for every individual member and the whole community of Timog Forum, and we are always open to suggestions. However, we see no benefit to change the present system of Timog Forum: 1. All members are free to post responsibly in the forums and can edit their posts within the time limit. 2. Deletion of posts and threads, and closing, opening, moving and splitting of threads are the sole responsibility of the admin and moderators.

We ask that you try to understand our position on this matter. ご協力お願いします。

betong

09-19-2005, 11:11 AM

However, if an embarassing post is directed at another member, deletion is not the solution; apology is…

It seems clear to us that granting members the right to delete threads and posts and closing and opening threads will not benefit the community; it will lead to disorder. I have no doubt that the majority of members will use these rights responsibly. However, other members are less likely to do so, and in times when judgment is clouded by emotions, even senior members will err.

Amen to that

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.