Newbie who's a bit confused about 'Otsukaresama'

walnut

11-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone!

Just want to know what ‘Otsukaresamadesu’ really means… I often hear this and i dont really what to reply… Based from my nihongo book it is usually being used when going home…its like thank you for your hardwork or something. But there are times when my nihonjin friends are saying otsukare eventhough they’re not going anywhere… kinda confusing right? anyway, im new at this so i hope you will bear with me.

another one is the ‘yoroshiku onegaishimasu’ phrase. according to my ever dependable book, we say this when we introduce ourselves to someone or when we meet new people. but i always hear this term from my friends eventhough we already know each other. sometimes they will just say ‘yoroshiku’… what should i reply to that?? :confused:

i hope someone will enlighten me!

thanks!

:slight_smile:

tfcfan

11-24-2005, 06:23 PM

Hi everyone!

Just want to know what ‘Otsukaresamadesu’ really means… I often hear this and i dont really what to reply… Based from my nihongo book it is usually being used when going home…its like thank you for your hardwork or something. But there are times when my nihonjin friends are saying otsukare eventhough they’re not going anywhere… kinda confusing right? anyway, im new at this so i hope you will bear with me.

another one is the ‘yoroshiku onegaishimasu’ phrase. according to my ever dependable book, we say this when we introduce ourselves to someone or when we meet new people. but i always hear this term from my friends eventhough we already know each other. sometimes they will just say ‘yoroshiku’… what should i reply to that?? :confused:

i hope someone will enlighten me!

thanks!

:slight_smile:
good pm sayo walnut? "Otsukaresama desu literally means thank you for your help/work.But it could be use to express appreciation to someone who has finished working.For instance,people say this to fellow workers who have ended their day’s work and are on their way home.You can also use this expression to thank just about anyone who has done a job or service for you; for example,a delivery man,a repair man,or a house painter.
Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu as you said,is use in meeting someone/introducing yourself for the first time.But it could also be use to express politeness especially if you are the one asking a favor or to someone who will do a favor for you.:slight_smile:

katty0531

11-24-2005, 06:50 PM

Yes walnut, exactly what tfcfan said,…that’s it walang labis walang kulang…:smiley:

puting tainga

11-24-2005, 08:39 PM

The following is native-checked:

Otsukare samadeu at Gokuro samadesu is similar, but there is one diffirence.
Gokuro samadesu should be adressed to someone who are below you.
And, gokuro san, may mean sacastically pointing out your futile effort.

walnut

11-25-2005, 01:31 PM

WOW! i feel so enlightened now! hehe :slight_smile:

salamat po ng maraming marami! :slight_smile:

victork

04-18-2006, 08:37 PM

yorosiku onegaishimasu can also mean be kind to me,when u introdece ureself.

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.