Question about change of status of residence

friley

09-14-2005, 03:59 PM

I would like to seek a comment from fellow filipino who have been or experience the same with my present dilemma, I am a japanese scholar here in japan and presently receiving money from the japanese goverment, I got married (japanese) last year and when I consult at the immigration prior to marriage they suggest that my student scholarship might be nullified if I change to a spouse of japanese citizen. My wife is a pediatrician but I don’t want to be a financial burden to her, we have agreed to do paperworks when my scholarship finish next year. to top that we just have been blessed with a child last month, we have registered her at the local city office but not yet with the Philippine embassy. My wife was convincing me to change my citizenship into japanese (I have been here in japan for 5 years) but we have an arguement I would like to get a permanent resident instead of loosing my filipino status, she insist that I could not get a permanent job here in japan or I cannot be promoted. I was accepted as a research assistant in tochigi ken for next year after I graduate. As I see it no matter what you do they will see at us as foreigner no matter where we go no matter what visa we got, cause I have experience that and other foreign student as well here in our present university. What benefit will I get as a japanese citizen versus a permanent resident?

striver

09-14-2005, 06:28 PM

im also same with you, dati rin akong student here thru a scholarship
sponsored by ministry of labour ng japan. 3 years din po iyon, now im also working
here at tokyo. first of all congrats. so your question is cons and pros of taking
a permanent resident or changing a status. so actually i have also the same question
before. nag inquire ako about that sa ilang government offices here. refer to the
following:

1. if you are not japanese citizen and you are working here for a long time, at permanent visa
    lang ang hawak mo, di mo makukuha 100% ang babayaran mong kokumin nenkin buwan
    buwan (equivalent sa SSS sa atin) if you will start to work here as a proper employee, you
    will only get pay of 20% of that sabi nila sa akin. so for exmaple daw you work here for 3
    years and stop working you will only get an amount 200,000 yen sabi nila sa kin. so if that
    is the case kawawa ka at your resignation. wala kang makukuha. so better daw na maging
    japanese citizen.

2. even if you are not japanese citizen, you will also avail any services availed by common
    japanese worker. lahat pare pareho lang iyan. you will get bonus, pay all hoken, taxes, etc.
    marami kasing bawas eh. magugulat ka na lang pag tanggap mo ng pay slip mo.

3. you are married to japanese woman madali na siguro for you to convert to japanese
    citizen. i’ve heard that you can avail double citizenship sa pinas ah. so pwede kang japanese
    citizen at filipino at the same time sa pinas. i heard na may law na raw sa tin about that.

4. when you work, siguro kahit nakaavail ka na ng japanese citizen, i thnk ganun pa rin
    tingin nila sa iyo. foreigner pa rin. mahirap mabago iyon. magbibilang ka ng dekada siguro.
    pero wala naman siguro magiging problem. i think ang magiging labas nyan eh you are
    japanese in papers only not by heart.

good luck for your decision making. maybe i will also try that in the future.
nagiisip din eh. sayang iyong kokumin nenkin ko.

puting tainga

09-14-2005, 06:31 PM

I agree with your wife.

Except for low class positions, a government worker must have Japanese nationality.(Also, no criminal records, and must not be a member of an organization that pledges to destroy the government by force.)

Thus, a professor of a national university must have Japanese nationality.
(I heard there are a few exceptions. Also, nowadays national universities are called 独立行政法人Dokurits u Gyosei Hojin, independent administrative legal person.)

Private universities might have similar rules, or a limit of the number of non-Japanese professors.

puting tainga

09-14-2005, 06:42 PM

My message above may seem strange.
It was written on condition that your wife wanted you to become a professor.
(Tanungin mo siya.)

TRIVIA
By the way, in order to become a stable-master (oyakata) of sumo, you have to be a Japanese citizen.
That’s why Musashimaru, Akebono etc changed their nationalities.

Professional babeball teams in Japan have a rule that up to 2 non -Japanese players are allowed in the team.

friley

09-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Thank you for the quick response, for the advise and well wishes. It was really heartwarming to see that I am not alone here in japan, and come to think of it, even having same problem with you. I will do further inquiries. About the position in tochigi ken I will be given a teaching position (jichi daigaku, where my wife had here medical schooling) with annual evaluation daw after I finish a post doctoral course, he gave me an offer that will suffice my living and not my family, It was not a bad start daw my wife said and she was most encouraging. She fell in love to philippines (it’s people [not the bad things] and culture) when she trained there in the hospital where I was working for 1 year in manila. I have heard of the dual citizenship but the japanese don’t have that they wont allow at the time being only the philippine law allows that same with the US. but if im to stay for a long time I think the SSS stuff like as you explain was a good reason, but you are really true they can never erase my filipino culture and mannerism,I’ll be forever filipino craving for hilaw na mannga at bagoong, I will then inquire and search further regarding these matter, thanks again for the advise andcomment…

City_rabbit

09-16-2005, 01:09 PM

I have not changed my citizenship, although I can… at first I did not want to give up my Filipino citizenship - to be a Japanese citizen…

But years ago, the dual citizenship in the Philippines - has been approved, right? I am really not sure about this though -

But it is too bad if the Japanese government does not allow it yet…
then I will have to wait for that time - to apply for Japanese citizenship and still remain a Filipino national-
:slight_smile:

In the meantime, I enjoy my present status… a Filipino living in Japan.

friley

09-16-2005, 04:08 PM

thank you very much to everyone, Stiver, puting tainga and city rabbit. your points are well taken. I will look at the legalities and limitation of the philippine dual citizenship after I finish my manuscript this year. I have to do it one at a time.

Regards to everyone else
friley;)

eps

09-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Hello friley ! :wave:

Since it may really take time before you become a Japanese citizen, why don’t you apply for a permanent residence for the time being? After seven years or so , you can then decide whether you want to apply for a Japanese citizenship… I guess there is no need to make haste … Sabi nga nila “slow and steady wins the race”… :slight_smile:
By the way, I live in Tochigi…I have a Japanese acquaintance who is studying at 自治医大学 。

Good luck and God bless…

friley

09-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Hi Eps, It’s nice to know someone from tochigi, I have been there once when I met my future sensei, If I finish my study march next year I can transfer there by march… Hope you can acquaint me with the community if ever I got there. How much does an apartment near the 自治医大学 cost. it was kinda scary to move to a new environment after 5 years stay here in Mie.

Thanks,
friley

eps

09-16-2005, 07:11 PM

hi friley, good evening :slight_smile:

That acquaintance of mine lives in a dormitory …If you want to live near the universtiy, I’ll ask her kung may idea siya about the apartment rental. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, Tochigi people are very friendly…:wink:

Anyway, please try to visit this website: URL http://tia21. or. jp/
or you can send an e-mail to : tia@tia21.or.jp

This website has nothing to do with 自治医大学, but when you move to Tochigi, you can make some inquiries.

v_wrangler

09-16-2005, 07:51 PM

Striver, I am very much surprised by the information you posted. The Kokumin nenkin does not descriminate base on nationality. You might be referring to those people who leave Japan after a few years and decide to withdraw from the the system, so they’ll obviously get a kapupot of what they paid in. The nenkin was designed to support retirement when an employee reaches that age, and receive money based on the contributions paid while employed.

1. you are married to japanese woman madali na siguro for you to convert to japanese
    citizen. i’ve heard that you can avail double citizenship sa pinas ah. so pwede kang japanese
    citizen at filipino at the same time sa pinas. i heard na may law na raw sa tin about that.
    This is not entirely true. Marriage to a national isn’t a ticket to permanent residency or citizenship although it does ease the process, you would still have to prove your capacity to provide a means of livelihood (if you are the man of the house). As some people already mentioned, you would have to give up your filipino nationality once you are granted Japanese citizenship. While the Philippines allow double citizenship the Japanese constitution does not.

2. when you work, siguro kahit nakaavail ka na ng japanese citizen, i thnk ganun pa rin
    tingin nila sa iyo. foreigner pa rin. mahirap mabago iyon. magbibilang ka ng dekada siguro.
    pero wala naman siguro magiging problem. i think ang magiging labas nyan eh you are
    japanese in papers only not by heart.
    This is exactly the problem I see with almost all the post i read lately, we need to stop being too conscious of our birth right to Filipino nationality - we in japan need to go above what some people think makes one pinoy. Instead of being too conscious of being labelled as true-blue pinoy national - we should be more conscious of our own personal identity and actions. Be conscious of what we do at home, how we act outside. Thats the true measure of great nationalism - not how much one listen to pinoy music or how many kilos of pinoy food stuff one have in the tokador. Meiwaku kakenai pinoy - thats a true pinoy in my humble opinion.

Going back, do not spend the energies thinking about how some Japanese think badly of the foreigner, But spend your time - in search and practice of excellence. Kung magagaling yong kasamahan mo sa trabaho - e di dapat pilitin mong malampasan yon. Kung me mababait sa kanila - dapat mas mabait ka. Excellence at di pag-payag sa mediocrity (mali ata ispeling ko) In your work and in our daily living. This I believe - is the other essence of being a good citizen ng mundo, maging berde or pula man ang iyong pasaporte.

Citizenship requires more years of stay than your regular PR. The PR requires a minimum of five but it does not include the stay while you are a student or receiving monies from the government as a scholar. It starts with your first spousal visa but there are exceptions to those who have established themselves in the business sector - i believe they need to have stayed in japan much longer than required than if you have Japanese familial ties.

There seems to be some form of descrimination among foreign workers in Education - Debito Arudo et al think so. Problems with short tenure and witheld participation in some university policy making.

So marami na ang sumagot so I hope me naidagdag ako.

mylfer919mdo

09-16-2005, 09:16 PM

Friley,

Goodluck to whatever decision you might indulge with.

eps

09-16-2005, 09:25 PM

just a thought…

. …if we could only learn how to understand and respect each other’s culture, there won’t be too much discrimination and prejudice against each other.

striver

09-18-2005, 11:56 AM

about the kokumin nenkin, i got that info from the counter
who manage it in the city hall where i lived. sana just like what you
said sana walang discrimanation about that. i was also shock when i
heard that, that is why im also thinking what will happen at time
of my resignation. mahirap pag di ko nakuha ng buo iyon.
kahit sno namin siguro sa tin dito na nagwowork as a normal employee
affected lahat.

im not feeling discriminated here in japan. nasa tao na iyon kung ano mararamdaman
mo. but did you not feeling irritated kapag nabanggit ang mga kababayan natin
especially mga kababaehan natin. parang ang tingin ng iba sa kanila
eh mga laruan lang. naiinis din ako pag naririnig ko iyon. pero sinasabi ko
na hindi naman lahat ganun eh. kaya lang gawa kasi ng iba, kaya lahat
damay na. how can you say about that. medyo naiba lang topic but
i think its part of discrimination.

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.