Translations in Timog Forum

nick

08-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Translations in Timog Forum

Lost in the din of discussions in the forums is the original reason why we have Timog Forum in the first place: to have a place in the Internet, accessible by everyone with a PC, where people can give a hand to fellow Filipinos who need help figuring out papers, notices, bills and other documents written in Japanese. Please refer to this thread. (http://www.timog.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104 )

Submitting images for translation

Here is the procedure for posting images in Timog Forum for translation:

1. You need a way to make a digital copy of the paper for translation. For digitizing text in papers and other documents, the best tool is the scanner. (A nice second-hand scanner won’t cost you 5,000 yen.) For others, such as signs and similar objects, you will need a digital camera.

2. Scan the paper. When scanning, set the image type to “Text” or “OCR” or similar terms (depending on your scanner) and set the DPI (Dots per inch) to 200 to 300. (Alternatively, instead of setting the DPI, you can set the “Output size” of your image; for an A4 paper this should be smaller than 4000 x 4000 pixels). If you do this properly, then you will have a black & white image (like what you get from a copier machine), that is smaller than 4000 x 4000 pixels.

3. Assess the resulting image. If the image is colored (see the side note about colors below), or if it is more than 4000 x 4000 pixels, then you can either edit the image and make it black & white and reduce the image size or you can do another scan. Remember, you’d like the image to be as readable as possible (without going over the image and file size limitations); otherwise, no one would bother to read it.

(Side note about colors: for long text, black & white is ideal for two reasons: it makes the letters more readable and the file size smaller. However, for shorter text, you can also post images in color, like the one posted by makulit below. Just make sure the letters are legible. Please look at other translation requests on other threads to see samples.)

1. If the parts of the image need labeling, please do so, using numbers like ① ② ③, etc. (see makulit’s attached image below). Save it as a GIF file. The resulting file shouldn’t be more than 300KB in size.

(Side note about file types: we recommend GIF files for text (especially for limited colored-images) because of the relatively small file sizes of these files. However, you can use other file types, such as JPG (especially for photos taken with a digital camera) and BMP if they don’t go over the file size limit which is 300KB.)

1. Attach the image to your post by clicking on the “Manage Attachments” button below the editor box when you’re writing a message in the forums. When posting your message, provide as many details about the document, like where you got it, when, what do want to know, what you think it is, etc. It is also a good idea to let people know your Japanese ability, just so the translators will know what kind of person they’re dealing with.

What to expect

1. There is no fee for posting translation requests (I get asked a lot about this); post your messages as usual. People will only respond to messages if they have the ability, the time and the inclination to do so. All of this is entirely voluntary.

2. Do not expect word for word translations. If you need word for word translations of legal documents and other important papers, it may be better for you to hire a professional translator. Some people will probably only tell you what is it about, if it’s relatively unimportant.

3. People who may respond will not have any responsibility as to the accuracy of the translations. Some people will try to help, but please understand that errors are inevitable.

4. Remember that Japanese to English or Tagalog translations are easier than English or Tagalog to Japanese. Don’t be surprised if you get no responses for translations into Japanese.

5. Please submit only papers that you really need to have translated. If in doubt, try posting it; there’s probably no harm in trying. If you don’t get replies, this is due to any of the following: no one saw your post or no one can do the translation (because of number 1 above) or no one thinks it’s important enough.

Please see the attached sample image. It was scanned from an A4-sized paper at 200 DPI and saved as a GIF file (file size is around 145KB). Notice that this is a black & white image and the letters are clearly readable.

pointblank

08-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Hello, Nick… salamat sa guidelines for translation requests.

The burden of accepting and properly using translations is, of course, with the person who requests for the translation; but I was just wondering, with English/Tagalog to Nihongo translations, how is the receiver going to properly “extract” the translation when he presumably cannot read the Nihongo (the reason na nagpapa-translate siya in the first place)? Lalo na pag hindi Nihongo capable yung OS ng computer niya, the Nihongo text might not even appear… just wondering.

Also, we sometimes get translation requests of forms or objects wherein the lay-out is complicated. (Let’s say operation panel ng washing machine o rice cooker.) The difficulty often lies not in the translation per se but in trying to convey “this part means this” “that part means that”… Is there a more systematic way to make it easier for the translator to respond?

stanfordmed

08-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Would it be possible to convert gif or jpeg files to a fillable PDF?

Paul

08-05-2005, 03:19 PM

Would it be possible to convert gif or jpeg files to a fillable PDF?
it’s possible. you can embed the gif or jpeg file in the pdf and add form fields to be filled up. but if it’s as long as the one reon posted, i think it would be more trouble than its worth to convert it to pdf. add to the fact that not everyone has adobe acrobat or any pdf editor. gif or jpeg would be the most practical way since everyone can view them without the need for additional software.

for images of, say, control panels like pointblank mentioned, we can overlay the english or tagalog text over the original image using any image editor. however, it would be better if it could be accompanied by a simple explanation (operation instructions, etc.)

by saving japanese text as an image file, japanese language capability won’t be necessary.

makulit

08-06-2005, 02:13 AM

Also, we sometimes get translation requests of forms or objects wherein the lay-out is complicated. (Let’s say operation panel ng washing machine o rice cooker.) The difficulty often lies not in the translation per se but in trying to convey “this part means this” “that part means that”… Is there a more systematic way to make it easier for the translator to respond?
Maybe kindhearted pinoys who will be able to assist in translation can edit uploaded images and put tags (i.e. numbers) (or better yet! ask those who wants to have something translated to tag their images). Then translators will make use of this tags as a reference.

See sample image →

Translation will be like →
① Translation 1
② Translation 2
③ Translation 3

Suggestion lang po …

nick

08-06-2005, 06:41 AM

The burden of accepting and properly using translations is, of course, with the person who requests for the translation; but I was just wondering, with English/Tagalog to Nihongo translations, how is the receiver going to properly “extract” the translation when he presumably cannot read the Nihongo (the reason na nagpapa-translate siya in the first place)? Lalo na pag hindi Nihongo capable yung OS ng computer niya, the Nihongo text might not even appear… just wondering.Good point, pointblank. I really haven’t thought of that thoroughly. Let’s see how to do things as we go along.

By the way, an English Windows XP can display Japanese if installed with a (free) Japanese language pack. If someone had something translated, he/she can copy the translated Nihongo text from Timog and print it with a text editor. I’ve also accessed Timog with an English Windows XP and I got a message like this, “This website uses Japanese fonts. Would you like to install the Japanese language pack?” And then Windows XP installs the necessary software and fonts. I think Macs also have no problem.

Also, we sometimes get translation requests of forms or objects wherein the lay-out is complicated. (Let’s say operation panel ng washing machine o rice cooker.) The difficulty often lies not in the translation per se but in trying to convey “this part means this” “that part means that”… Is there a more systematic way to make it easier for the translator to respond?I’ve been thinking about this, too. The ideal way would be for people who make the request to do the necessary labeling, as suggested by makulit above. I will revise the guidelines and add this.

Sometimes, translators will end up doing the labeling themselves, but we really don’t want this because this labeling will probably take up more time than the translation itself. I haven’t seen enough translation requests to make a system to tackle this problem. Maybe this is also something we can make as we go along.

Input from other members would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the paper posted by makulit above is an ideal thing for translation: short and easy and can be done in less than 5 minutes.

stanfordmed

08-08-2005, 08:39 AM

it’s possible. you can embed the gif or jpeg file in the pdf and add form fields to be filled up. but if it’s as long as the one reon posted, i think it would be more trouble than its worth to convert it to pdf. add to the fact that not everyone has adobe acrobat or any pdf editor. gif or jpeg would be the most practical way since everyone can view them without the need for additional software.

for images of, say, control panels like pointblank mentioned, we can overlay the english or tagalog text over the original image using any image editor. however, it would be better if it could be accompanied by a simple explanation (operation instructions, etc.)

by saving japanese text as an image file, japanese language capability won’t be necessary.Thanks Paul -
Here’s what I tried to do from JPEG to PDF with notes added on switch #15 & #19. A quick way to translate, but this file cannot be printed with the translations on it. Or could it be printed with the note showing?

P.S.
I guess the file can be printed with the notes added on a separate summary (second attachment).

Doctor J

03-28-2007, 09:17 AM

Hello TF People,

I have read that it is harder to translate from english to japanese but these are actually a few and simple words which I am sure you are familiar with. If I may, I would like to know the translation of the following in Japanese (but not in Japanese characters, please):

1. beauty - bi
  2. beautiful
  3. skin - hifu
  4. face
  5. white - shiroi
  6. pure

Thanks in advance and more power to TF!

p.s.
Got some of the translations already, so i just updated this post. Thanks Ianix

docomo

03-28-2007, 12:07 PM

@Doctor J

1. beauty >kirei na

2. beautiful > utsukushii / kirei

3. skin > kawa / hada

4. face > kao

5. white > shiroi

6. pure> junsui na

Doctor J

03-28-2007, 09:58 PM

@Doctor J

1. beauty >kirei na

2. beautiful > utsukushii / kirei

3. skin > kawa / hada

4. face > kao

5. white > shiroi

6. pure> junsui na

Thanks a heap sir docomo! :slight_smile:

myuki

09-05-2007, 10:50 PM

my sis-in-law mail me this…di ko po alam ano ibig sabihin…mga ka-TF pa help po…

watashitachi wa *****no jijyou ga wakaru kara katachi wa douare hantai wa shinaishi sonaoni (omedetou) tte iitai to omottemasu…

sana po matulungan nyo po ako…
thank you in advance po…

hanikami

09-05-2007, 11:18 PM

myukiさん,

hope this helps.

~hanikami

===

watashitachi wa *****no jijyou ga wakaru kara katachi wa douare hantai wa shinaishi sonaoni (omedetou) tte iitai to omottemasu…
we understand the situation about ***** so we’re not opposing (it) in anyway and we’d even like to genuinely offer our congratulations.

myuki

10-08-2007, 12:15 PM

kase yung friend kung hapon gusto nya sanang ipadala yan sa girlfriend nya pero gusto muna nyang malaman yung meaning…please po sana para po kase yang sa anniversary nila…:bowdown:

form eng to japanese…kahit ano wag ang kanji…

All my life i had built up a fantasy of a perfect man
Countless romance stories and fables
Helped make that fantasy a reality in my mind
Serching for that fantasy lead to many dissapointments
Reality made it clear that there was no such man
And as the years went by, the fantasy started to fade away - until i got here…
I had almost given up on the fantasy until my fantasy became reality
that reality became you
I hope you know who you are…

salamat po in advance…

myuki

01-18-2008, 08:54 AM

pano po ba nihongo ng “lagnat sa loob” yung lagnat na di pa lumalabas sa katawan…
tama ba explanation ko… pasensya na po di ko ma explain mabuti… pero sana na-get nyo po yung point… salamat po in advance sa magpo-post…

japhil

06-16-2008, 07:49 AM

pwede po bang mag request yung mga kinukuha sa city hall pwede po ba english to japanese translate na sa itaas para po madali nalang makita. kung ok! lang po pati mga document sa immigration:)

exp: 1. residence certificate
2. income tax certificate

core2duo

10-24-2008, 07:27 PM

mga ka-tf ano po translation nitong

chinchin tabiru?

erokawaiiAYA

10-24-2008, 07:34 PM

mga ka-tf ano po translation nitong

chinchin tabiru?

chinchin - sex organ ng lalaki
taberu - kain

core2duo

10-24-2008, 07:43 PM

chinchin - sex organ ng lalaki
taberu - kain

eh?! :eek: honto?, loko yun ah :mad:…

=============

@eroka

thanks sa translation…

Bluemax

11-04-2008, 04:03 PM

eh?! :eek: honto?, loko yun ah :mad:…

=============

@eroka

thanks sa translation…

:smiley: naisahan ka nun… hehehehe

core2duo

11-17-2008, 12:58 AM

mga ka-TF pa-translate naman sana nitong news ata sa site na’to

http://kireaji.net/blog/cat3/aoi180308.html

domo arigatou gozaimshita! :slight_smile:

Dax

11-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Para po sa mga nagpapatulong magpa-translate, sana ay gumawa na lang po tayo ng thread dito sa Translations, huwag po sana natin ipi-PM. :frowning: Sana ay hindi po ito maging sanhi ng hindi pagkakaunawaan. Ipagpaumanhin niyo na lang po. m(_ _)m

core2duo san,

Hindi mabuksan ang link na pinost ninyo, na-block dito sa office. Ito ang warning message na lumabas:このサイトまたはサイトへ のリンクは、コンテンツフィルタリング機能 によりブロックされました (Fetish;Adult Indulgences) This site or the link to the site has been blocked by content-filtering feature. (Fetish;Adult Indulgences)

core2duo

12-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Para po sa mga nagpapatulong magpa-translate, sana ay gumawa na lang po tayo ng thread dito sa Translations, huwag po sana natin ipi-PM. :( Sana ay hindi po ito maging sanhi ng hindi pagkakaunawaan. Ipagpaumanhin niyo na lang po. m(_ _)m

core2duo san,

Hindi mabuksan ang link na pinost ninyo, na-block dito sa office. Ito ang warning message na lumabas:This site or the link to the site has been blocked by content-filtering feature. (Fetish;Adult Indulgences)

@dax-san
awww, sayang naman…pero dibale nalang…thanks narin…

==================== ==================== =========

guys paki translate po sana itong mga quotes & sentences na ito sa jap…thanks :slight_smile:

“Wars take many lives away. Humans never forget the grief, but they also never stop the fighting. Streams of blood and tears are only an ornament for their destructive ritual”

“A sword is nothing but a weapon, and Kenjitsu is nothing but a means to kill. This truth cannot be changed by a beautiful words or false pretensions. To slay one to protect the other, to kill one so another can live, this is the reality of Kenjitsu.”

“I’m in love with three women/girls because of it, my heart’s been acting strange lately it keeps pointing on three different directions like a wasted/thrashed compass…how troublesome”

“Whatever happens, happens.”

“You know, they say when you fall, it’s best to fall straight to the bottom. And the farther you have to crawl back up, the stronger and greater you will become as a result.”

"There is no such thing as coincidence only the inevitable "

shirayuki

01-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Hello! Sa Pinas ako…

I read some of the replies to translation requests at ang daming versions. Siguro it would be nice to invite a native speaker para ma improve if not correct our suggestions para matuto tayo ng tama. Yun bang libre :slight_smile: Mahal din mag-install ng Babylon :smiley:

Dax

02-27-2009, 01:31 AM

Gusto ko lang po ipaliwanag kung bakit hindi ako tumatanggap ng request na magpa translate sa PM. Pagpasensyahan niyo na po at dito ko ulit ipo-post.

Unang una, tayo po ay nasa forum - ito ay isang lugar na pampubliko. Maaaring ang ating tanong ay makatulong din po sa ibang ka-TF, kaya mas makakabuti na din kung ang matatanggap nating sagot ay makikita din ng iba. :wink:

Pangalawa, tao lang po tayo na nagkakamali. Kung magkamali po ang nag-reply sa ating tanong ay makikita din ng ibang ka-TF at maaari pa nila itong wastuhin. :thumb:

Pangatlo, ito po ang pinaka importante sa lahat. Kailangang willing po ang isang tao para matawag na “tulong” ang kanyang ginagawa. Hindi naman po yata maganda para sa tatanggap ng PM (at para na din sa nagpadala) kung halimbawa magta-translate siya dahil napilitan lamang. :frowning:

Iyan po ang mga dahilan kung bakit inaayawan ko ang PM. Hindi ko po alam kung ang ibang ka-TF ay ganito din ang nararamdaman. Sariling opinyon ko lang po ito. Wag po sana natin personalin dahil wala po akong galit o hinanakit sa mga nagpadala ng PM. Peace po tayo ha. :sweeties: Magta-translate pa din po ako kapag feel ko itong gawin. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu. :slight_smile:
Para po sa mga nagpapatulong magpa-translate, sana ay gumawa na lang po tayo ng thread dito sa Translations, huwag po sana natin ipi-PM. :frowning: Sana ay hindi po ito maging sanhi ng hindi pagkakaunawaan. Ipagpaumanhin niyo na lang po. m(_ _)m

stupify

02-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Gusto ko lang po ipaliwanag kung bakit hindi ako tumatanggap ng request na magpa translate sa PM. Pagpasensyahan niyo na po at dito ko ulit ipo-post.

ooppss second demotion …:hihi:

clovergirl

09-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Unang una, tayo po ay nasa forum - ito ay isang lugar na pampubliko. Maaaring ang ating tanong ay makatulong din po sa ibang ka-TF, kaya mas makakabuti na din kung ang matatanggap nating sagot ay makikita din ng iba. :wink:

Pangalawa, tao lang po tayo na nagkakamali. Kung magkamali po ang nag-reply sa ating tanong ay makikita din ng ibang ka-TF at maaari pa nila itong wastuhin. :thumb:

Pangatlo, ito po ang pinaka importante sa lahat. Kailangang willing po ang isang tao para matawag na “tulong” ang kanyang ginagawa. Hindi naman po yata maganda para sa tatanggap ng PM (at para na din sa nagpadala) kung halimbawa magta-translate siya dahil napilitan lamang. :frowning:

Iyan po ang mga dahilan kung bakit inaayawan ko ang PM. Hindi ko po alam kung ang ibang ka-TF ay ganito din ang nararamdaman. Sariling opinyon ko lang po ito. Wag po sana natin personalin dahil wala po akong galit o hinanakit sa mga nagpadala ng PM. Peace po tayo ha. :sweeties: Magta-translate pa din po ako kapag feel ko itong gawin. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu. :slight_smile:

ooppss second demotion …:hihi:

i feel the same way po (^0^):open_mouth:

stupify

10-04-2009, 02:10 PM

lagi na lang pinapalampas… UP ko lang ho
sa mga nagpapatranslate po, and I want to emphasize “Make clear and specific titles”

What to expect

1. There is no fee for posting translation requests (I get asked a lot about this); post your messages as usual. People will only respond to messages if they have the ability, the time and the inclination to do so. All of this is entirely voluntary.

2. Please submit only papers that you really need to have translated. If in doubt, try posting it; there’s probably no harm in trying. If you don’t get replies, this is due to any of the following: no one saw your post or no one can do the translation (because of number 1 above) or no one thinks it’s important enough.

Additional Guidelines for the Translations Forum
Search first before posting

There are often cases of people asking for translations of words and expressions that are commonly used and which have, in fact, already been translated in a previous thread. To avoid having multiple threads requesting for translations of the same words/expressions, first make a search on the Translations thread <click here (http://timog.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 9) for the link>. Look for the link on the right side which says “Search this Forum” and type in the word/expression you want to have translated to see if there are already existing posts or threads for it.

Make clear and specific titles
Members requesting for translation must write clear and specific titles for their threads.

Examples of Thread Titles
・Good
(○) Ano ang “report of divorce” sa Japanese?
(○) KSP in Japanese
(○) About driving… translate please
(○) Health/Medical terms - Paki-translate please

・Bad
(x) Pa-translate naman po
(x) How do you say this in Japanese?
(x) Help
(x) Onegai shimasu, urgent po
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

adrian

02-20-2010, 04:41 PM

sir. .may ipapa translate po sana k0ng 2 pages na docs. . Ang mahal po kase ng cinicingil ng mga agency d2 samin. .sana po mapag bigyan nyo po ako. .

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.