10-04-2005, 12:45 AM

:mad:

This story was taken from www.inq7.net

http://news.inq7.net/viewpoints/index.php?index=2&story_id=52111

How Gloria is like and unlike Marcos
First posted 02:52am (Mla time) Oct 03, 2005
By William Esposo
INQ7.net

FRIENDS and kin were frantically texting me last week to ask my reading of the news about an impending imposition of martial law. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo used complex jargon but this was seen only as euphemism for the bad M word. This did not temper anxieties, particularly since it was no less than the Philippine Daily Inquirer and INQ7 who had bannered the story. The subsequent events (the curtailment of freedom of dissent through the Calibrated Pre-emptive Response (CPR) policy and the infamous Executive Order 464 that now prevents government officials, including military officers, from attending congressional investigations without prior presidential approval) all fueled and heightened people’s fears.

Martial law or ‘calibrated pre-emptive response’ or even ‘emergency rule’ is by no means a daily fare of freedom-loving nations. Anyone imposing it must have very strong justification and must be able to carry it out most effectively. Even more basic than that – the leader must have the character and personality to maintain control. Otherwise, it will be like riding the back of the tiger only to end up inside its stomach as its repast.
Pakistan’s Musharraf and Egypt’s Mubarak govern by authoritarian regimes under the guise of ‘constitutional order’, similar to the one propagated by our own Ferdinand Marcos whose martial rule covered the country’s dark years between 1972 and 1986. Based on common conditions and circumstances, it is easy to see how Musharraf, Mubarak and Marcos managed to operate under authoritarian conditions. To determine therefore if indeed President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo can imitate Marcos and impose martial law, we must study her personal qualities as well as the conditions under which she governs. We then have to run all this against the personal qualities of Marcos, the man, and the conditions in 1972, the year he declared martial law.

continues…(INQ7) (http://news.inq7.net/viewpoints/index.php?index=2&story_id=52111)

pointblank

10-04-2005, 01:50 PM

I find this article extremely interesting.

Conrado de Quiroz, in his Inquirer column, had actually predicted a couple of months before the 2004 elections that Gloria would eventually find a way to impose martial law so that she could indefinitely stay on in power.

Being a veteran victim of the Marcos martial law, he expressed fears that Gloria was actually going to be even worse than Marcos - a lethal combination of more greed and less talent. :mad:

pointblank

10-05-2005, 02:23 PM

The latest news coming in from Manila is that the Justice Department has ordered an investigation into an alleged plot by Senate President Franklin Drilon and former President Cory Aquino to assassinate Gloria.

Yes, CORY, of all people, is plotting to ASSASSINATE Gloria daw.:confused: :scratch:

When Malacanang reaches this level of hallucination and inventiveness, we had all better get worried. This just strengthens the suspicion that Gloria is finding all reasons, by hook or by crook, to declare martial law. :mad:

If this circus by the lavandera in Malacanang keeps going on, there will soon be no Philippines for any of us to be worth going home to…

piNkAhOLiC

10-05-2005, 09:42 PM

The latest news coming in from Manila is that the Justice Department has ordered an investigation into an alleged plot by Senate President Franklin Drilon and former President Cory Aquino to assassinate Gloria.

Yes, CORY, of all people, is plotting to ASSASSINATE Gloria daw.:confused: :scratch:

When Malacanang reaches this level of hallucination and inventiveness, we had all better get worried. This just strengthens the suspicion that Gloria is finding all reasons, by hook or by crook, to declare martial law. :mad:

If this circus by the lavandera in Malacanang keeps going on, there will soon be no Philippines for any of us to be worth going home to…

Wait and see attitude muna ako dito…i foresee more developments in the coming days and i think its best to wait as things unfurled…based on my own personal assessment of cory, i don’t think that she is capable of this assasination plot…however, drilon may be capable of this and is using cory or cory’s image somehow…After all, the source of mirriam defensor is a relative of drilon, not of cory…

nadamay lang siguro si cory cause close sila ni drilon at ito’y kanyang naging justice secretary during her presidency…di ba galit na galit nga si enrile (kahit ngayon) kay drilon cos pinakulong sya ni drilon noon…pinakasuhan ba naman ng isang kaso na wala namang legal basis, something like - ______:confused: coupled with rebellion…

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.