Are Filipinos to blame for wages declining in the ESL industry in Japan?

Reddit won’t let me embed:

What do you think about this?

This was inspired by another thread on a different subreddit which blamed the falling/stagnant wages on people from the Philippines.

For someone in the Philippines, an Interac salary is actually pretty good. That is because Philippines is a poor nation.

Filipinos tend to do a good job and don’t complain, call in sick etc. So they are good employees and easy to exploit.

Should they take some of the blame for accepting these wages without complaint?

https://www.reddit.com/r/teachinginjapan/comments/1cbnsmx/are_filipinos_to_blame_for_wages_declining_in_the/

Well, if that’s true you can add Filipinos to anime and the Internet for lowering ESL wages in Japan.

I wouldn’t say Filipinos are “to blame” but they are probably a “factor” in the decline of wages of English teachers in Japan. Companies and schools who used to pay over the top wages for “native” English teachers probably realized that they could hire Filipinos for lesser pay and still get the same quality of work.

Not that all Filipinos are good teachers. I know many who are probably competent at what they do and a few who are just so-so.

Filipinos tend to do a good job and don’t complain, call in sick etc. So they are good employees and easy to exploit.

This poster implies that you need to be a bad employee so you won’t get exploited. Hindi ko makuha ang logic.

May kilala akong Canadian dati (10 years ago) kasama ko sa photography club of sorts. Nababanggit niya na bumababa na nga salary ng English teachers sa Japan dahil sa mga Pilipino.

Hindi ako English teacher kaya hindi ko alam kung ano nga ba ang tamang compensation para sa ALT. Palagay ko the market should dictate what the salary should be.

Dito sa lugar namin sa Tsukuba, almost half yata ng ALT na employed ng BOE ay mga Pilipino. I don’t have first-hand account pero sa mga naririnig ko, mas madaling i-manage ang mga Pilipino, competent, less ang reklamo.