Cute eggshell desktop speakers

Flickr user and blogger gomhi shows off his self-made eggshell speakers:

I made some speakers using eggshells as cabinets. While there’s no bass, I’m very satisfied at the nice feel of the sound from the speakers. I also like the slick appearance of the matching brown vibrating plate and the red skin of the eggshells.

I made some speakers using eggshells as cabinets. While there’s no bass, I’m very satisfied at the nice feel of the sound from the speakers. I also like the slick appearance of the matching brown vibrating plate and the red skin of the eggshells.

I must say these are nicely crafted, if a little bit fragile, speakers for ordinary use. gomhi writes on:

I realized while making these that speakers are a very interesting thing to create. You can control elements like acoustics, materials, mechanics, electrics, craftsmanship; there are many parameters that can affect the sound.

When you can’t get the sound you like, you meditate and listen to the sound while wandering around your solution space and then you will gradually feel more comfortable. I think in this instance, my solution space seems near the aviary.

When I was little, I liked the family of chickens we kept in the house. If I had made these speakers from the eggs of those chickens, they would have been the best treasures of my childhood. And I could have also used as sound-absorbing material the the down feathers that they shed during the summer, right?

Materials used: Hi-Vi B1S (1inch full range), eggs, cotton (sound-absorbing material), clay (stand), etc

Predictably (and as gomhi also notes on his blog post), speakers this small and brittle are no good playing layered, heavy, bass-intensive sounds from such music genres as hard rock and heavy metal and are more suited to such simple sounds as those coming from acoustic guitars, maybe like this (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind opening song):

https://youtu.be/oGm2IzQNVCs

{via Wired Vision}