GMA: One of the Most Powerful Woman in the World

logical

07-29-2005, 04:02 PM

Despite political scandals and turbulence in her administration, GMA was ranked no. 4 as one of the most powerful woman in the world.

Source: Forbes Magazine

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/11/1YDI.html

betong

07-29-2005, 10:50 PM

Here’s the caption on the link:

Arroyo, 58, is now fighting to hold on to her job as the opposition party seeks to file impeachment charges against her over a series of scandals, and her attempts to fix Manila’s weak finances are falling apart, causing frustrated technocrats to bolt from her government. After donning the mantle of president in 2001, Arroyo tried to work diligently on her governing platform, which includes the eradication of poverty, which helped her win re-election in 2004. Nevertheless, despite a growing economy (in 2004, the Philippines economy grew an estimated 6.1%, up from 4.7% in 2003), Arroyo’s stewardship has been burdened by a Muslim insurgency and the Philippines’ designation as the second most corrupt country in Asia, according to a survey of businessmen conducted by the Hong Kong-based Political and Economic Risk Consultancy. Arroyo, a former classmate of Bill Clinton’s at Georgetown University and a onetime economics professor, is currently under investigation by lawmakers into allegations she cheated to win last year’s election; to date Arroyo has declined to testify before her government’s Congress.

Hmmm. I think we should start a revolution, bring down the current administration and send in new people, fresh, idealistic and most of all honest (enough)…

pixel

07-30-2005, 09:08 PM

From INQ7 (http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=1&story_id=45322):

FORBES magazine’s ranking of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as the fourth most powerful woman in the world is an insult to Filipinos, Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr. said.

He said the magazine’s survey was not grounded on reality and did not take into account the prevailing sentiment of Filipinos who, as local surveys show, want Arroyo out of Malacañang.I respect Pimentel as a senator, but how can the list be an insult to Filipinos? What has it got to do with surveys and what ordinary Filipinos think? A rare dumb comment from Senator Pimentel.

pcbuildersam

09-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Hello and good day,
Did I hear somebody said revolution? What !?? Wow and I mean wow.Peace man ,peace.That is all we need and after that and only after we have that (PEACE) can we solve our patong patong na problema.Then we are going to change the people with another set of people that will govern the country?With whom,with what? Comes the proverbial…Same dog ,with a different collar.That is all there is to it.Where are these so called "good saintly (with matching halo) people that will govern the country?.We still have to find them,my main man.We are in short supply…
Good day!!

betong

09-22-2005, 09:58 AM

Dear friend, how can you attain peace when most of our countrymen are in dire poverty, a lot of our professionals are leaving the country for jobs they are over-qualified for, when education is so expensive thus expanding the number of uneducated people, when healthcare is not in the minds of our politicians, and our politicians caring mostly for their own good or that of their kin.
There are a number of Filipino’s who are honest enough to lead the country, or care for it. The problem is that they are not the ones on top. They are the people you meet everyday, in the jeepneys, the one selling you pandesal in the morning, the family man who shines your shoe at market before going to church, the barber, the school teacher. There are a lot if them. And if you haven’t met anybody honest enough to lead us, well, I guess you are just not in a very good circle, PCman.
BTW, there have been peaceful revolutions; people power revolution, the portuguese flower revolution.
The Phil may now be in the brink of another one, thanks to the help and mingling of the Church. I believe that taking to the streets to topple leaders becoming a habit is akin to mob rule which is a step backwards from democracy. What should happen, in my opinion, humble though it is, is that people should make an informed decision before voting for our leaders. People should not count on charismatic value, or who just spent some dough earned on the backs of our kababayans just to woo people a few weeks before election time then forget about the same people that were wooed when the money starts rolling in. And political parties should actually stand up for something not change from one ideal to another depending on who is on top or what will assure them more votes, the so-called ‘Butterfly politics’ that has plagued our country.
So, in the end, like everybody else, I want peace. But having the bahala na attitude or not wanting change from our present condition will not help us attain the peace that we so long for. This can only be good for the tophat pigs that gobble our sweat.

han

09-22-2005, 11:18 AM

on Pimentel, i used to admire him , i actually campaigned (real hard, sweat and blood) for him when he ran as vice-president, but i guess power and pride have gotten over him. i think he actually saved the face of erap during the edsa II, it was very dramatic when he suddenly resigned from senate presidency, but i think, at the back of his mind, he knew erap was losing (not just in the senate, but outside the street). if only the impeachement for erap went on as it was meant to be, eh di sana nagdurusa talaga ngayon sa kulungan si erap, at hindi parang bakasyon grande, at walang ginawa kundi magplot ng paghihiganti. while whoever replaced him (GMA or not) would surely suffer the consequences, just as we are witnessing now. and as the nation was part of the edsa II, we are all meant to suffer now. sana lang, matuto na tayo. :<

pcbuildersam

09-22-2005, 11:35 AM

My friend Betong and to other Pinoys ,
I don’t understand fully well your line of thinking and also your point.Too vague for me ;maybe my brain needs some tune up or some oil change.
Summarizing everything, I think a lot of people want some change.Change for what?Change the government?Any other form better than democracy?Change the people that runs the BIR,Customs,Immigrat ion…etc etc and all the other pest infested bureaus ,departments…?Sino papalit mo ?Ikaw,ako,si Mang Telesporo ,Mang Tulome, all these Harvardian .Yale ,Princeton grads with all these diplomas blurting out of their tummies?Sino,pare ko? Sinong tao ang ilalagay mo sa puesto na hindi mangungurakot .Anybody out there?
All these rants,complaints,rek lamo rito reklamo roon.Are we doing something or rather contributing anything to help the plight of the poor? Ask yourself?Be honest with yourself.You ,myself and all the others outta there are all the same.Unless we do change ourselves from the inside out nothing’s gonna happen.
Detailed example: People complaining to the municipal government about the basura that’s clogging their canals,waterways.Che ck it out ,man.Plastics,carton ,papel ,dumi ng tao,etc. etc. that is making bara sa canal.Now blame the government for that?C’mmon man.There is only so much that a government can do.It’s got its own limitations,boundari es.It’s us who’s got to give a bigger share.Use the power of the internet as well as the Text power to report all these mangungurakot and all these katiwalian.We cannot completely eliminate it but hopefully,drasticall y minimize it.At least we did our share.“Rome was not built in one day”.
Good day.

City_rabbit

09-22-2005, 11:46 AM

Presidents in the Philippines?

Give me a break… to me they are all the same - they take care of themselves first before the Filipino people… just look at our country…there was a time- as far as I can remember - the US dollar was $1= 7 pesos… now what?

The Philippines had a great economy compared to its other Asian counterparts… that was once upon a time…

There are a lot of crooks - thieves around - " big " men and women, but they cannot be “touched” - because they have the power… and the connections…

They pick on those who have less or none…

Poor Philippines and our families in the Philippines…
all I can do from here is - Pray…

How ironic, the Philippine President prays too - for what- I wonder?

neblus

09-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Despite political scandals and turbulence in her administration, GMA was ranked no. 4 as one of the most powerful woman in the world.

Source: Forbes Magazine

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/11/1YDI.html

Inspite of all the rallies, ingay, impeachment, etc. nandiyan pa rin si GMA… so seems like it is true na she is one of the most powerful woman in the world…

City_rabbit

09-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Small but …?:smiley:

Just pray that we have a good leader. Someone who will lead well and wise.
And make all Filipinos contented with their life standards…
praying for that day to come…

seanty

09-22-2005, 08:57 PM

tama si Neblus…had the same happen to the others, matagal na silang nawala sa puwesto but GMA knows what to do kahit ISINUSUKA na sya, NANDIYAN PA RIN SYA hehehe at mukhang mahihirapan ang kahit na sino na mapatalsik sya dahil kung hindi po natin napapansin, mas matindi pa sya ke Marcos. Simple nga lang kung dumiskarte kaya hindi masyadong napapansin na unti-unti na niyang ginagamitan ng kamay na bakal ang sambayanang Pilipino. Ex. http://news.inq7.net/nation/index.php?index=1&story_id=50969

goldhorse

09-22-2005, 09:17 PM

Small but …?:smiley:

Just imagine if she stepped down, literally.

City_rabbit

09-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Just imagine if she stepped down, literally.

That is a good one goldhorse…
:stuck_out_tongue:

crispee

09-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Bumaba na raw si GMA kanina.

Pero umakyat din pagkatapos niyang mag-lunch sa labas ng malakanyang:D.

andres

09-22-2005, 10:35 PM

@pcbuildersam,

For once I find myself totally agreeing with you (bikkurishita :yikes: believe me hehe):smiley:

The government – yes the ‘government’ has become everyone’s favorite bogeyman in our country. Poor economy? Blame the government. Maduming paligid? Blame the government. Basted ka ng nililigawan mo? Gobyereno may kasalanan basta buhuhu.

Pero sino ba yang shadowy group of villains na yang gobyerno na yan? At paano nila nakokontrol lahat ng nangyayari? At bakit gusto nila tayong pagdurusin?

In other words, the “government” has become a convenient excuse for anything that is wrong or unpleasant, and I say convenient because it deflects all blame from the self.

Don’t get me wrong. There’s plenty, plenty wrong with our government. But, if you look closely, who are these people in government… you will find that… they are just like you and me. They are you and me. Same needs, same wants, same frustrations. And if you listen to them, you will probably find that… they complain all the time… about the governmnet. :slight_smile:

Hmm… I probably didn’t express my thoughts very well, but hopefully you will see what I mean.

Another question… we all clamor for change, and rightly so. But, ask yourself, honestly, are you willing to make the sacrifice? Because, if we are to change (I mean change for the better), that would surely entail every one of us making sacrifices. And will you support the changes which are necessary in order to make our country a better, more just, place?
Just some random thoughts not aimed at anything/anyone in particular…

docomo

09-22-2005, 10:37 PM

This issue speak with forked tongue dipped in honey.But if you really understand what this issue is telling, not everything made sense… The problem why this issue is not taking off is because there is no " legitimate alternative "to GMA … there’s no inspiring figure to take her place that’s why filipinos are just accepting her…(worse >pinagtyatyagaan)…We 're caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.:rolleyes:

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.