Hanabi in Tsuchiura

reon

10-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Hello TF members,

Just came back from watching the Tsuchiura All-Japan Firewords Competition (http://www.city.tsuchiura.i baraki.jp/sight/m01.htm). The roads were all clogged but we left before it ended so we managed to escape the traffic. This fireworks display, which is one of the biggest in Japan, is held every year on the first Saturday of October and is attended by fireworks makers all over the country.

Here’s another interesting page (‘æ71‰ñ“y‰Y‘S‘‰Ô‰Î‹£‹Z‘å‰ï) showing the different types of fireworks on display.

Although I brought my camera along and snapped no less than 30 shots (about a roll of film), below is the only decent shot in the bunch. Only shows fireworks photography is not my strongest point.

reon :slight_smile:

RinaDG

10-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Hey - also got to watch the Tsuchiura fireworks tonight but opted to bring my video camera instead of my Canon EOS. I would have wanted to try taking pictures using the ASA800 film the camera saleslady recommended for fireworks display. (I was just wondering how digital cameras can be “set” to take nice fireworks display. I mean with the regular camera, one can use a higher ASA for the shots.) Just in case you’re interested, there are now some disposable cameras designed for fireworks shots - like Fuji’s “Night and Day”. I used it for my trip to Sapporo and the lighting of the ice sculptures really looked lovely in the night. Sharing one such shot. Nice to hear more comments from the “camera pros” in the group.:wink:

daddy_b

10-02-2004, 10:21 PM

Reon,

I am wondering if you used a tripod for your fireworks photography. For this type of shooting, a tripod and a camera with bulb setting are musts. If you used a digital camera, then you probably won’t have problems with reciprocity failure, which would make things easier. If you use film (which I still do), I would probably open the shutter at first burst and then close it when the light starts to fade. This would be from 2 to 5 seconds.

daddy_b

Paul

10-02-2004, 11:57 PM

hi rina, welcome to TF. lovely pic of the ice sculpture. cool colors.

you can also use a higher ASA/ISO number with digital cameras, most of them have manual settings for these. when i take pictures of fireworks, i set my aperture to f8, shutter speed to bulb, iso to 400, white balance to sunny, and put the camera on a tripod and use a remote shutter release. the hardest part is positioning the camera for the burst. i have lots of shots of fireworks which are out of the frame. here’s one of the pics i took at the fireworks festival in Matsushima this year with my EOS Kiss Digital. click on the pic for more pics. oh, and i’m not one of the “camera pros” here, just another amateur who likes taking pictures.

http://homepage.mac.com/polegario/.Pictures/Fireworks/IMG_5969.jpg (http://homepage.mac.com/polegario/seasons/PhotoAlbum41.html)

reon

10-03-2004, 07:41 AM

RinaDG,

welcome to TF! nice picture! akala ko noong una parang illustration sa isang children’s book. there’s something eerily fascinating with night pictures with falling snow. para kang nasa fantasy land.

i wonder what’s the difference between the regular disposable cameras and Fuji’s “Night and Day”? Maybe a higher ASA and longer focal length? btw, if you’re looking for camera pros, you’re in the wrong place! we’re all amateurs here. :slight_smile:

daddy b,

ahh, the tripod! kailangan nga ng tripod! kaso mabigat yong tripod ko kaya nagdala na lang ako ng monopod. tapos nung isi-setup ko na, na-realise ko na marami palang mga tao sa likod namin na nakaupo (dahil nasa baba kami ng rice fields). kaya hinand-held ko na lang ang camera! kaya yan ang nangyari, haha. at hinahanap ko pa ang bulb setting the camera ko.

Paul,

i like this shot the best of the lot. i think the hardest part of fireworks photography is getting the right composition and contrast (preserving the colors). with this picture, you got both.

reon :growl:

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.