Hello from Yokohama

stanfordmed

07-17-2005, 12:38 PM

:japanese: Hello everyone! I just moved here in Yokohama from California last month. I will probably be here in Japan for a year or two then move back to California. I’m a Filipina and can converse in tagalog and a little bit of ilocano, but not that good in writing in tagalog nor ilocano. I moved to California from the Philippines 25 years ago and now living in Japan. I am at lost in this country because I donot speak or read the Japanese language.
I do not know anybody here in Japan, so I’m looking for friends and hopefully get acclimated to living here. Also, I’m looking for someone that can take care of a pet parrot on a part time basis. I live in the portside of Yokohama, 15 minutes walk from JR Yokohama Station. I would very much appreciate any information or assistance. Thanks!
_Emelyn

nick

07-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Hello stanfordmed, welcome to Timog. There seem to be a lot of people from around the Yokohama area in Timog Forum. :slight_smile: Anyway, a lot of the people here read and speak Japanese, so feel free to ask if you’re in a tight spot. I don’t know about the pet parrot, though. :slight_smile:

stanfordmed

07-17-2005, 11:34 PM

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Any pinays out there who wants to show me around Yokohama or around the area or go shopping, etc.? I’m not that familiar with the subway system yet and frankly, I’m getting bored looking down at the city and the bay from the tower.

Paul

07-18-2005, 11:42 AM

stanfordmed,

sure you don’t want a pinoy showing you around yokohama? andres also lives there. although i wouldn’t count on him to go shopping. :smiley:

andres,

you heard the lady. show her around town. looks like she also likes taking pictures. you’d get along real well.

stanfordmed

07-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Sige, why not?! I’ll even pay for fares and food. Basta makalabas lang sa tower na 'to.

Paul

07-18-2005, 12:16 PM

you sound like rapunzel trapped in the tower. :smiley:
o, mga knights in shining armor in the yokohama area. here’s your chance to be a hero and rescue the princess.

stanfordmed

07-18-2005, 12:27 PM

I was actually thinking more like I will see King Kong clinging on the side of this tower any minute now! :yikes:

Re. Rapunzel:
By the way, my hair is not long enough to reach 29 stories down. Hehehe!:lol:

summer

07-18-2005, 03:32 PM

Hello Emelyn, if you do not know how to answer the people speaking Japanese, ay ket ag-ilokano ka latta kabsat. Mabalin latta (Just speak Ilokano - … (i am lost in translation)…). Hahaha. Joke. Siak ni Summer from the North particularly Cordillera Region.

stanfordmed

07-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Hello Summer!

It’s nice to meet you! My parents are from Ilocos, but moved to Isabella when they got married and that’s where I was born and then we moved to the U.S. in 1979.
Saanak met nga nalaing nga ag-Ilocano. Did I say it right? :confused: I understand it well, but when I try to speak Ilocano, I end up putting Ilocano, Tagalog and English together - pathetic I am. Well, at least I haven’t forgotten, unlike others who pretend not to know to speak their own dialect after only a few years. :eek:

jing

07-19-2005, 03:57 PM

hello emelyn, welcome to timog! i hope you’ve had a chance to go down from the tower and have a look around. maganda ang yokohama, especially coming from busy tokyo.

jing

07-19-2005, 04:01 PM

hi summer!

i can’t help but ask, taga-saan ka sa Cordillera? my hubby’s from Bontoc. it’s not often we get to hear from other Igorots – at parang, since coming to Japan a year ago, wala pa yata kaming na-meet na taga-Cordillera dito sa Japan.

jing

stanfordmed

07-19-2005, 04:51 PM

Hi Jing,
Indeed, the portside is nice and not chaotic like Tokyo.
I go down once in a while to touch ground :slight_smile: . Actually, hanggang sa Minato Mirai and around SOGO area pa lang ang napupuntahan ko kung ako lang mag-isa. It’s too hot and humid to be walking and I’m not familiar with the subway system yet. Japan is not tourist friendly when it comes to taking public transportation. I mean, the subway signs, directions, or announcements are mostly in Japanese. I have yet to learn to read and speak the Japanese language.

crispee

07-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Hello Summer!

It’s nice to meet you! My parents are from Ilocos, but moved to Isabella when they got married and that’s where I was born and then we moved to the U.S. in 1979.
Saanak met nga nalaing nga ag-Ilocano. Did I say it right? :confused: I understand it well, but when I try to speak Ilocano, I end up putting Ilocano, Tagalog and English together - pathetic I am. Well, at least I haven’t forgotten, unlike others who pretend not to know to speak their own dialect after only a few years. :eek:
Speaking of Ilokandia, my father is from La Paz, Abra at doon ako pinanganak. Then We moved to Isabela ngamin taga idiay ni Inang. My mom speaks ybanag, Amang speaks ilokano and we mix tagalog in between, lol. Ang gulo pero walang away.:smiley:

crispee

07-19-2005, 07:05 PM

hi summer!

i can’t help but ask, taga-saan ka sa Cordillera? my hubby’s from Bontoc. it’s not often we get to hear from other Igorots – at parang, since coming to Japan a year ago, wala pa yata kaming na-meet na taga-Cordillera dito sa Japan.

jing
If you happen to visit Toyoshiki Church in Kashiwa Shi, Chiba ken, bakasakaling nandoon pa yung mga kababayan nating igorot. Galing kasi ako ng Kashiwa 5 yrs ago at bihirang makapasyal uli doon. Kung pamilyar ka kina Richard and Roger Smith, James Bawideng, Allan Epler, Cadangen, Kenneth Lumbag, Piluden, baka nandoon pa rin sila.

stanfordmed

07-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Speaking of Ilokandia, my father is from La Paz, Abra at doon ako pinanganak. Then We moved to Isabela ngamin taga idiay ni Inang. My mom speaks ybanag, Amang speaks ilokano and we mix tagalog in between, lol. Ang gulo pero walang away.:smiley:
Manong crispee, mano nga tawen (year/s) mo ditoy Japan?
:confused: Correct my Ilocano…

crispee

07-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Nabayagakon ditoy ading. Apay a damdamagem?

stanfordmed

07-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Nabayagakon ditoy ading. Apay a damdamagem?Just curious…
How long did it take you to learn Japanese? Nagrigat met ditoy no haan mo nga ammo ti ag Nihon-go. I’m feeling home sick - na mi-miss ko ang pagmamaneho. Nagrigat ti magmagna atsaka nakapodpodut - lalo nga kimmotung ngak ditoy.
Is there such thing as leasing a car here in Japan?

summer

07-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Hello Emelyn, we are neighbors. Malapit kami sa Isabela. Where in Isabela? I am from the Cordillera (Ifugao). Hope meron ka nang kasamang lumabas to see places outside your tower. Nasa Chiba area kasi medyo adayo dita ayan mo.

summer

07-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Hello Jing and Crispee/n,

Its nice to hear that your hubby is from Bontoc, tell him that my Dad hails from Fontoc and Sagada. My mom is from Mt. Prov. also. I am a pure Igorota but my parents went to Ifugao to work there so we resided there. I often meet other Torogis here. I usually go to their place during my vacant time. Ay ket medyo makaraman ak met iti tinolang manok without the “etag”. I am here in Chiba. Dakayo ngay?

Emelyn, they said that the best way to learn to speak nihongo is to find a nihon-jin bf (that is if you are still available).

stanfordmed

07-24-2005, 06:06 PM

Hello Emelyn, we are neighbors. Malapit kami sa Isabela. Where in Isabela? I am from the Cordillera (Ifugao). Originally from Roxas, Isabela.

Hope meron ka nang kasamang lumabas to see places outside your tower. Nasa Chiba area kasi medyo adayo dita ayan mo. Wala akong kilala dito, so pashoping-shoping lang ako dyan sa SOGO, Takashimaya, etc. Hindi ako marunong magsubway kaya hindi pa nakakalayo. I’ve been here in Japan a month and a half.
Panay met nga awan dyay lakay ko ta kanayon met ang ag-travel didyay Singapore, China, Hong Kong. Manmano nga adda ditoy. Gusto ko ng bumalik sa states. Madalas pa ang lindol dito sa Japan- medyo nakakatakot pag walang kasama.

summer

07-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Madalas pa ang lindol dito sa Japan- medyo nakakatakot pag walang kasama

Nakakanerbiyos nga din pag lumindol. Yung lindol kahapon ang malakas and late na akong naka uwi kasi nag-stop yung services ng trains dito sa Chiba area. I should have challenged myself to walk pero sobrang layo so I patiently waited for the services to resume. Parang napakadalas nga ng lindol ngayon especially dito sa Chiba area.

crispee

07-24-2005, 08:01 PM

Just curious…
How long did it take you to learn Japanese? Nagrigat met ditoy no haan mo nga ammo ti ag Nihon-go. I’m feeling home sick - na mi-miss ko ang pagmamaneho. Nagrigat ti magmagna atsaka nakapodpodut - lalo nga kimmotung ngak ditoy.
Is there such thing as leasing a car here in Japan?
Wala akong formal education sa pag-aaral ng japanese. Puro self-study lang. Pero palagay ko ay more than 3 years bago ko namalayan na pwede na ako sa simpleng conversation lamang. Tama yung sabi nila na kailangan mong gamitin araw-araw ang iyong japanese para mas madali kang matuto. Kahit mga pinoy ang kasama, pwede kayong mag-usap usap sa nihonggo. At saka nga pala mahilig akong manood ng japanese cartoons. Dati may program na "nihon no mukashi banashi’ evey saturday aired in the morning. Tapos yung "gegege no kitaro (http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/kitaro/):D, sazae san (Sazae-san - Wikipedia), crayon shin-chan (http://www.geocities.com/unofficialcrayonshin chan/), at iba pa.
Nakakatulong din ang mga subtitles sa broadcast TV kung medyo nakakaintindi ka na ng hiragana, katakana at konting kanji.

Car lease kamo? Wala akong maisasagot diyan, pero malamang na may alam ang ibang members. Pero bago mo isipin ang driving, may japanese local license ka na ba? Pagkakaalam ko kasi ay yung mga tourist visa holders lang ang pinapayagang gumamit ng Int’l Drivers License.

stanfordmed

07-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Car lease kamo? Wala akong maisasagot diyan, pero malamang na may alam ang ibang members. Pero bago mo isipin ang driving, may japanese local license ka na ba? Pagkakaalam ko kasi ay yung mga tourist visa holders lang ang pinapayagang gumamit ng Int’l Drivers License.I did online search…
There are leasing companies for car/auto in Japan, but I think it’s very expensive.
http://www.sal.co.jp/english/index.html (http://www.sal.co.jp/english/index.html)

As for the driver’s license, here’s what I found:
http://www.japandriverslice nse.com/ (http://www.japandriverslice nse.com/)

Q. How long can I drive in Japan using an international driving permit?
A. You can drive legally for a maximum of 12 months after your entry into Japan. If you leave Japan for 3 consecutive months, the clock starts again.

Up until June of this year, it has been recommended as an administrative guideline for anyone staying in Japan longer than 12 months to obtain a Japanese driving license.
Article 107-2
Anyone staying in Japan for more than 12 months who wants to drive legally must obtain a Japanese Drivers License.

Q. So, I don’t need to apply for a license until I have been in Japan for 12 months?
A. If you receive a traffic infringement while you are driving on your International Driving Permit, it is the general understanding that you pay the fine and can then forget about it. The truth is, the police record this infringement against your name and once you pass your driving test when converting to a Japanese license, you may be told that your new license is automatically suspended for up to 2 years. A minor traffic offense may lead to a big problem in the future if you do not obtain a Japanese license early. This includes simple parking tickets.

shadowman

07-29-2005, 02:05 PM

HELO EMELYN…i know this is already late kasi ngayon lang ako nag-reply sa iyo…
if ever naakyat na ni knight in shining armor ang tower na
tinitirhan mo…
ibigay mo na lng sa akin ang parrot mo…
baka kasi talking parrot yan at ano-ano na lang ang sasabjhin nyan ke knight in shining armor mo pag-akyat nya…hihihihi

stanfordmed

07-29-2005, 05:38 PM

HELO EMELYN…i know this is already late kasi ngayon lang ako nag-reply sa iyo…
if ever naakyat na ni knight in shining armor ang tower na
tinitirhan mo…
ibigay mo na lng sa akin ang parrot mo…
baka kasi talking parrot yan at ano-ano na lang ang sasabjhin nyan ke knight in shining armor mo pag-akyat nya…hihihihi
O sige, ikaw mag-alaga sa spoiled na parrot ko. Gigisingin ka ng madaling araw, sometimes 5:30 sa umaga, tumatawag na! Marunong magsalita at nakakaintindi ng Ingles, unfortunately I didn’t teach her Tagalog. Siguro one of this days she’ll pick up Nihongo - natutuwa ang mga neighbors namin na Hapon dito at kinakausap s’ya ng Nihongo. Tapos kakausapin din ako, eh hindi ko naman naintindihan kaya hanggang apology and smile na lang ang response ko. :bowdown: :slight_smile:

andres

07-29-2005, 06:10 PM

stanfordmed,

sure you don’t want a pinoy showing you around yokohama? andres also lives there. although i wouldn’t count on him to go shopping. :smiley:

andres,

you heard the lady. show her around town. looks like she also likes taking pictures. you’d get along real well.

ooops, sorry ha, ngayon ko lang nabasa 'to.
oo ba, bakit hindi? pero ngayon nasa pinas ako, nagbabakasyon ng kaunti.

pero tama 'yan si Paul, hindi talaga ako pang-shopping, na-s-stress out ako masyado! :frowning:
pero kung sightseeing o photography, game ako dyan! :wink:

stanfordmed

07-30-2005, 06:40 PM

ooops, sorry ha, ngayon ko lang nabasa 'to.
oo ba, bakit hindi? pero ngayon nasa pinas ako, nagbabakasyon ng kaunti.

pero tama 'yan si Paul, hindi talaga ako pang-shopping, na-s-stress out ako masyado! :frowning:
pero kung sightseeing o photography, game ako dyan! :wink:
Hi Andres!

:yippee: Sige pag balik mo from Pinas sama mo 'ko sa sightseeing o photography.

Enjoy your vacation!

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.