Usapang libro

andres

10-23-2005, 09:30 PM

Palagay ko maraming book lovers dito sa TF.

Magsimula kaya tayo ng bagong thread tungkol sa mga libro…

mga librong kababasa mo lang,
mga matagal mo nang nabasa,
yung mga paborito mo na mairerekomenda mo sa lahat ng tao,
at yung hate na hate mo kaya sinunog mo, siguro.
:smiley:

Nikome

10-23-2005, 10:41 PM

hajimemashite! I’m thankful I found this website. I learned a lot already by reading your posts. thanks a lot to you, my co-filipinos living and struggling in the Land of the Rising Sun…:slight_smile: anyway, i’m a book lover. as of now, i’m reading ang in na in na Harry Potter and Half blood Prince. And the book, I read previously that is Memoirs of Geisha by Arthur Golden. Impressive. I recommend this book kasi you could learn more about the Japan’s culture. ok. regards to everyone and Ganbatte Kudasai! Kore kara Yoroshiku ne :wink:

twinkle

10-23-2005, 10:48 PM

Palagay ko maraming book lovers dito sa TF.

Magsimula kaya tayo ng bagong thread tungkol sa mga libro…

mga librong kababasa mo lang,
mga matagal mo nang nabasa,
yung mga paborito mo na mairerekomenda mo sa lahat ng tao,
at yung hate na hate mo kaya sinunog mo, siguro.
:smiley:

Finished reading ng SHOPAHOLIC Series by Sophie Kinsella, start with the Confessions of a shopaholic, Shopaholic takes manhattan, Shopaholic ties the knot and Shopaholic and sister. It’s a feel good books which will help one realized whats really important to achieve happiness. Just finished reading the Angels and Demons and currently reading Da Vinci Code both by Dan Brown.

Just a leisure reading, don’t take it seriously!

Maruchan

10-23-2005, 10:49 PM

The books I recently read , last August to be exact that I liked so much is “The Chronicles of Narnia (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0064471195/)” by C.S. Lewis. Grabe! I enjoyed reading this one. And because I read this, I can appreciate more the new book I got last Friday that I am reading now.

I read a dozen books after Narnia, but nothing worth to mention.

Eto matagal ko ng nabasa pero super hate ko. What a rip-off! And not to mention, a waste of my time. Humph! The book is none other than Nick Hornby’s “How to Be Good (Amazon.com).” Yech!

For all the practicing Catholics out there, I would like to recommend this book: “Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul” by Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska. Ang ganda nito…super!

Sa mahihilig naman magbasa ng love story…have you read “The Notebook (Amazon.com)” by Nicholas Sparks (http://www.nicholassparks.c om) na ba? Ang ganda din nito.

O sige kayo naman. Magiisip muna ako ng more books to share.

Happy reading!

zenki

10-23-2005, 10:57 PM

i just read HP6 (HP and the Halfblood prince)

and im now reading Sin Killer by Larry McMurtry.

Im almost done with it and I was wondering where I could buy cheap books here na english.
yung nakita ko pa lang kase sa univ coop eh puro nihongo…thanks

gabby

10-23-2005, 11:17 PM

For those who are aspiring to be a leader or a manager and who really want to get ahead I recommend The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox. It is a wonderful business book in novel format. Try it you wont be sorry.

liza_k

10-24-2005, 12:04 AM

Hi! Been a member for almost 2 weeks, ngayon lang ako nag-post. :slight_smile:
Well, I’ve read all the Harry Potter books, Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point. Also read Memoirs of a Geisha (which is coming out in a movie, I think this year). I recently read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, if you liked reading Dan Brown’s books then you will surely love this one…

As for cheap english books, I usually buy mine from Shinjuku Time’s Square’s Kinokuniya. Been to a lot of bookstores but they have the most extensive selection. Meron pang iba, if you’re interested, let me know, ok.

Maruchan

10-24-2005, 01:55 AM

Hi! Been a member for almost 2 weeks, ngayon lang ako nag-post. :slight_smile:
Well, I’ve read all the Harry Potter books, Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point. Also read Memoirs of a Geisha (which is coming out in a movie, I think this year). I recently read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, if you liked reading Dan Brown’s books then you will surely love this one…

As for cheap english books, I usually buy mine from Shinjuku Time’s Square’s Kinokuniya. Been to a lot of bookstores but they have the most extensive selection. Meron pang iba, if you’re interested, let me know, ok.

Welcome to Timog, Liza_k! :wavey:

docomo

10-24-2005, 11:15 AM

I recommend Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by the same author. The latter book is the precursor to the DaVinci Code. mind everyone that this books are works of fiction … might raise a lot of questions in your mind :slight_smile:

Dax

10-24-2005, 04:13 PM

One of my all-time favorites is “Le Petit Prince” (The Little Prince). For those who haven’t read it yet, definitely recommended!

I recommend Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by the same author.
I had read both and I vote A & D against DVC.
I was not satisfied with DVC (fiction) so I also read one of Dan Brown’s references:
Holy Blood, Holy Grail (non-fiction), given by a friend. :slight_smile:

For LOTR fans, I recommend “The Hobbit”. Sana gawin ding pelikula to. I really like Bilbo’s adventure more than Frodo’s.

sam

10-24-2005, 07:25 PM

i just read HP6 (HP and the Halfblood prince)

and im now reading Sin Killer by Larry McMurtry.

Im almost done with it and I was wondering where I could buy cheap books here na english.
yung nakita ko pa lang kase sa univ coop eh puro nihongo…thanks

for cheap english books, you can go to the Blueparrot in akihabara and takadanobaba. mura na, ok pa collection nila.

books that keep me company as of now:

1. worst journeys, the picador book of travel - kakatuwa mga kwento ng writers who shared some of their worst journeys, in excellent writing. :>

2. the confessions of st. augustine (modern english version) - very slim pocket book, but it is taking me forever to read it because i enjoy reading it slow and go through what’s in the mind of st. augustin while confessing to God.

3. till we have faces (c.s. lewis) - i still have to read this, because once i touch a book by cs lewis, di ko na binibitawan. feeling ko nga friends na kami, sa dami rin ng nabasa kong biography/autobiogrpy nya. once, i almost made him a saint. hehhe. but there was this one biography of him that dehumanized cs lewis (he may be one of the great modern Christian writers of our time, respected across denominations, but hey! he was a self-confessed bigot) typical irish protestant (no offense to our brothers/sisters in other church, but u got to read what it was/is like to be a catholic/protestant in ireland), drunk too much, conceited (he knew he was intelligent) and more. made me realized that he was very much like every sinner (like me), but used by God for His purpose.

4. the groovy greek - funny! funny! funny!

5. bible - never ceases to amaze me

*posted not by sam. i share pc with him, and his name keeps appearing everytime i post, even i log out. niweys, call me JC instead. :>

zenki

10-24-2005, 07:28 PM

I recommend Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by the same author. The latter book is the precursor to the DaVinci Code. mind everyone that this books are works of fiction … might raise a lot of questions in your mind :slight_smile:

I’ve read this too, though I read the Da Vinci code first and it made a good impression (though some parts are on the edge that it raises eyebrow–as docomo said) on me and they told me that Angels and Demons is twice as good, so I read it too…but then I was so disappointed kase the two have parallel plots…almost the same that it became pretty predictable and already dragging…parang mirror story lang sya in a different setting pero approach parehong-parehohmm yun lang my two cents worth…

Hmmm…i just remembered, to all the girls out there (well guys could read too), I think you ought to read 11 Minutes by Paulo Coelho-- a good read, very witty in tackling a sensitive issue but quite a reality! He was able to present the topic with subtlety and poise.

houseboy

10-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Hmmm… puro Dan Brown fans pala nandito. :smiley: Ewan ko lang, pero parang disappointed ako dun sa DVC. Sa akin lang yun kaya bawal magreact sa sinabi ko.:stuck_out_tongue:

Ala bang Frederick Forsythe fans dito? O kaya ay Ken Follet? Or Elmore Leonard? O dili kaya ay sina Robert Ludlum at Lawrence Sanders? Kung meron… pahiram ng mga libro ninyo.:smiley:

Hindi ko favorite to, pero parang may epekto sa akin pagkabasa ko ng “The Sound of (the) Thunder” ni Taylor Caldwell.

maple

10-24-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi guys,

Wala bang Toni Morrison fan dito?:slight_smile: I think shes the first African-American to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1993. Her novels that Ive read pa lang naman ay Song of Solomon, and Bluest Eyes.

And I`m still reading her Nobel Prize winner, BELOVED (inspired by a true story).

Kung nagustuhan ninyo ang ROOTS by Alex Haley, tiyak magugustuhan niyo rin an Song of Solomon.:slight_smile:

maple

docomo

10-24-2005, 09:06 PM

eto pa … good read din po:)

John Grisham most of his novels the best ,BTW looking for this book pala The Broker laging sold out …baka meron kayo pahiram po …

Anne Rice for her Vampire Chronicle …ganda din

Local author" Lualhati Bautista" for dekada 70, Gapo … some of you may find it “baduy” …but I loved her stories …one in a million :wink:

pip

10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Agree with dax… A and D over DVC by Dan Brown, and the Hobbit (have a really old book back home) over LTOR.
The Dune series is a nice read if you are into scifi, have read David Eddings books if you are into fantasy.
Now Im reading the masterworks of Miyazawa Kenji, a Japanese writer from Iwate prefecture.

han

10-24-2005, 11:36 PM

dear MODs: medyo mahaba po ito. this is about books, but u can move it somewhere else. pls do whatever is appropriate. tnx.

Stic’ to you’ own

Angela’s Ashes (Memoirs of a Childhood)
‘Tis (Memoirs)
Both by Frank Mc Court

I spent my summer reading books, of reading any kind of book far from my academic studies. Some two weeks ago, I was in Akihabara, the electric city of Tokyo. I often go there, not to search for anything electronic, but for books that will electrify my senses in one of the very few English bookstores in downtown Tokyo, the Blueparrot.

It was more of an accident when I chanced upon this book, the Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. An accident because there was one whole shelf dedicated to two of Mccourt’s. An adventurer and lover of books would rather prefer to scan the shelves for a rare find, than pick up a book from a monotonous row.

McCourt’s first memoir traced his very poor childhood life back in Ireland. It was so rich in details, the young McCourt would be your intimate friend till he turned 19, at the end of the first book.

I grew up a Catholic from the Philippines, but reading McCourt and how the Catholic Irish take the church seriously, made me feel a novice of the faith. But up to the end of the second book, “Tis, , which took off from where the first book ended, I was anxious that he would eventually leave the church. In ‘TIs, he talked about his struggling life as a hyphenated immigrant, Irish-American, till he became a high school teacher.

What got me in his second book was how McCourt, who was born in America but of Irish parents who went back to Ireland when he was barely of school age, struggled to immersed himself in his adoptive-birth country and fulfill his great American dream. He fled home because of their miserable life, but he couldn’t escape meeting fellow Irish who would always remind him – stic’ to you’ own, Irish, and Catholic, pub, drinks, women, and music. It was like his over-patriotic, alcoholic father in his shadow.

My parents traveled overseas to find better work. It was the lure of money from oil in the middle east for my parents. As I grew up, the exodus of Filipinos leaving the archipelago to countries like US, Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan in search of better lives remain. There are engineers, teachers, doctors and nurses. Some professionals and undergraduate would end up caregivers and domestic helpers. Those with talents and no talents but beautiful face and body become entertainers.

Others, like my friend, came to Japan as scholars. But he is irritated at how he is constantly reminded that he is a government scholar sent to school by the taxes paid by every Japanese salaryman. He said, his grandfather, who was a witness of Japanese occupation regime in the Philippines, must be cursing from his graves. The grants are not enough to pay the damages during the World War II suffered by the Philippines, the only country that never carried a grunt of deep-seated anger though our babies were also thrown out in the air and ridden over by Japanese automobiles as they fell on hot and sadistic pavements.

McCourt had a difficult time in America. I read that he had an accent and scabby-eyes. But he had his own kind. And they stuck it out among themselves. His story is a good read. A fairy tale for many McCourts of today. (#)

docomo

10-24-2005, 11:39 PM

Hmmm… puro Dan Brown fans pala nandito. :smiley: Ewan ko lang, pero parang disappointed ako dun sa DVC. Sa akin lang yun kaya bawal magreact sa sinabi ko.:stuck_out_tongue:

Ala bang Frederick Forsythe fans dito? O kaya ay Ken Follet? Or Elmore Leonard? O dili kaya ay sina Robert Ludlum at Lawrence Sanders? Kung meron… pahiram ng mga libro ninyo.:smiley:

Hindi ko favorite to, pero parang may epekto sa akin pagkabasa ko ng “The Sound of (the) Thunder” ni Taylor Caldwell.

may pagka-adventure ang type ni houseboy … You want a book by Robert ludlum? The Bourne series ? … pahiramin sana kita kaya lang sabi mo bawal mag react eh :stuck_out_tongue:

gabby

10-24-2005, 11:50 PM

dear MODs: medyo mahaba po ito. this is about books, but u can move it somewhere else. pls do whatever is appropriate. tnx.

Stic’ to you’ own

Angela’s Ashes (Memoirs of a Childhood)
‘Tis (Memoirs)
Both by Frank Mc Court

I spent my summer reading books, of reading any kind of book far from my academic studies. Some two weeks ago, I was in Akihabara, the electric city of Tokyo. I often go there, not to search for anything electronic, but for books that will electrify my senses in one of the very few English bookstores in downtown Tokyo, the Blueparrot.

It was more of an accident when I chanced upon this book, the Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. An accident because there was one whole shelf dedicated to two of Mccourt’s. An adventurer and lover of books would rather prefer to scan the shelves for a rare find, than pick up a book from a monotonous row.

McCourt’s first memoir traced his very poor childhood life back in Ireland. It was so rich in details, the young McCourt would be your intimate friend till he turned 19, at the end of the first book.

I grew up a Catholic from the Philippines, but reading McCourt and how the Catholic Irish take the church seriously, made me feel a novice of the faith. But up to the end of the second book, “Tis, , which took off from where the first book ended, I was anxious that he would eventually leave the church. In ‘TIs, he talked about his struggling life as a hyphenated immigrant, Irish-American, till he became a high school teacher.

What got me in his second book was how McCourt, who was born in America but of Irish parents who went back to Ireland when he was barely of school age, struggled to immersed himself in his adoptive-birth country and fulfill his great American dream. He fled home because of their miserable life, but he couldn’t escape meeting fellow Irish who would always remind him – stic’ to you’ own, Irish, and Catholic, pub, drinks, women, and music. It was like his over-patriotic, alcoholic father in his shadow.

My parents traveled overseas to find better work. It was the lure of money from oil in the middle east for my parents. As I grew up, the exodus of Filipinos leaving the archipelago to countries like US, Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan in search of better lives remain. There are engineers, teachers, doctors and nurses. Some professionals and undergraduate would end up caregivers and domestic helpers. Those with talents and no talents but beautiful face and body become entertainers.

Others, like my friend, came to Japan as scholars. But he is irritated at how he is constantly reminded that he is a government scholar sent to school by the taxes paid by every Japanese salaryman. He said, his grandfather, who was a witness of Japanese occupation regime in the Philippines, must be cursing from his graves. The grants are not enough to pay the damages during the World War II suffered by the Philippines, the only country that never carried a grunt of deep-seated anger though our babies were also thrown out in the air and ridden over by Japanese automobiles as they fell on hot and sadistic pavements.

McCourt had a difficult time in America. I read that he had an accent and scabby-eyes. But he had his own kind. And they stuck it out among themselves. His story is a good read. A fairy tale for many McCourts of today. (#)

Hello Han.

I haven’t read the book but I saw the film. It is indeed very intense film. I like it very much. As I watched it all the memories from the Philippines came back flooding to me. I felt like I was cheated. Priests and our Piety fed us lies that really made Filipinos immature though not all I hope. It’s really nice. Just my kind of flick.

Cheers:)

houseboy

10-24-2005, 11:52 PM

may pagka-adventure ang type ni houseboy … You want a book by Robert ludlum? The Bourne series ? … pahiramin sana kita kaya lang sabi mo bawal mag react eh :stuck_out_tongue:

Para yun sa DVC at kay Dan Brown. Mahilig din ako sa espionage, pangarap ko kasing gayahin si Weng Weng e. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please, pahiram po ng Bourne Trilogy mo…at pahihiramin kita ng mga e-books ko. :open_mouth:

abeng

10-25-2005, 01:02 AM

ammmmmpppp
libro ba
bat halos ata dito dan brown
oo nabasa ko yung da vinci code ok maganda nga
pero puro english book mga binabasa ng mga TF members ha

basta ako po
gusto ko ang mga mahihiwagang librong sinulat ni BOB ONG
sana kilala nyo sya

ABNNBSNPLKO
libro ni hudas
bat baliktad mgbsa angmga pinoy
at alamat ng gubat

yan po ang oabirtong kong libro
na hindi ko keln man itatapon at susnugin

docomo

10-25-2005, 01:36 AM

ammmmmpppp
libro ba
bat halos ata dito dan brown
oo nabasa ko yung da vinci code ok maganda nga
pero puro english book mga binabasa ng mga TF members ha

basta ako po
gusto ko ang mga mahihiwagang librong sinulat ni BOB ONG
sana kilala nyo sya

ABNNBSNPLKO
libro ni hudas
bat baliktad mgbsa angmga pinoy
at alamat ng gubat

yan po ang oabirtong kong libro
na hindi ko keln man itatapon at susnugin

Of course abeng may nakakakilala pa po dyan at isa na po ako dun … ABNKKBBSNPLKO , bakit baliktad magbasa ng libro ang mga pilipino, paboritong libro ni hudas … all time favorite po yan

Pugad Baboy pa po idagdag mo …pwamis ang galing:D

gvidanes

10-26-2005, 06:19 PM

me ini-enjoy naman akong book. KOKOLOGY of Tadahiko Nagao…the game of self-discovery. maganda sya kasi nari-relate ko ang sarili ko dun sa mga games and explanations nya…na i realized…oo nga no? tama ang libro…

tower23ph

10-26-2005, 09:27 PM

noli me tangere,El Filibuterismo at Florante at Laura

zenki

10-26-2005, 09:35 PM

for cheap english books, you can go to the Blueparrot in akihabara and takadanobaba. mura na, ok pa collection nila.

hey thanks…hmmm saan pala yang bookshop na yan? salamat ulet.:slight_smile:

Janer

10-26-2005, 10:30 PM

Jason Bourne rocks! :thumb: I prefer the works of Robert Ludlum than Tom Clancy’s. But it’s been a while since i’ve read a good espionage book. :open_mouth:

Currently i’m into Japanese authors: Kenzaburo Oe, Haruki Murakami, Kazuo Ishiguro and Banana Yoshimoto. :king: I’m now re-reading Murakami’s The Wind-Up Chronicle. Really awesome read but takes a lot of energy for me to finish as it’s just surreal, philosophical and dark. Dark is an understatement. There is something unanimous among Japanese writers, how engaging they could describe into words deep human emotions of melancholy, longing, emptiness and other piercing sentiments. Ang bigat sa dibdib basahin! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: In betweens i have to read Harry Potter to lighten up my mood.:smiley: :smiley:

reon

10-26-2005, 10:37 PM

Hello han!

Angela’s Ashes is (coincidentally) the last book I read (borrowed from a friend to whom I’m eternally grateful)! It is also one of the most original and moving pieces of work I’ve ever read. Thanks for the mini-review. Magaling din ba ang 'Tis?

Paul

10-26-2005, 11:59 PM

Ako. Mga binabasa ko mula nung high school pa ko, Frederick Forsyth (The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Dogs of War, The Fourth Protocol), Robert Ludlum (halos lahat ng libro niya especially the Bourne Trilogy), John Le Carré (I just love George Smiley), Leslie Charteris (The Saint Novels), Martin Cruz Smith (Gorky Park, Red Square, Havana Bay), at marami pang iba na hindi ko na matandaan.

Was so fascinated with the cold war and the USSR that I started studying Russian on my own and dreamt of visiting the Kremlin, St. Petersburg (Leningrad), Odessa and Kiev (I still want to but for different reasons now).

Nowadays, I don’t get to read much except for academic journals :frowning: and camera repair manuals :).

han

10-27-2005, 02:39 PM

hey thanks…hmmm saan pala yang bookshop na yan? salamat ulet.:slight_smile:

check out its website: www.blueparrottokyo. com (http://www.blueparrottokyo. com)

enjoy!

han

10-27-2005, 02:47 PM

Hello han!

Angela’s Ashes is (coincidentally) the last book I read (borrowed from a friend to whom I’m eternally grateful)! It is also one of the most original and moving pieces of work I’ve ever read. Thanks for the mini-review. Magaling din ba ang 'Tis?

'Tis is a bit dragging. parang daily journal na ng buhay ni Frank. more whining, i guess, than when he was younger. and as ive implied, if we are to compare the challenges he had to face with many immigrants now, i guess, he was far luckier.

though, maraming adventures na nangyari sa buhay nya and fortunate coincidences which remind me of forrest gump’s adventures (in a war, getting a college degree, and so on)

but i enjoyed angela’s ashes more, maybe because it was written from his perspective when he was just growing up.

but frank is a good writer, so you will also enjoy reading 'Tis because it is light and smooth reading. :>

kalypso

10-27-2005, 05:17 PM

Gabby,

I have seen the movie and read the book as well. My advice: You should read the book. It is way much better than the movie. :slight_smile:

Hello Han.

I haven’t read the book but I saw the film. It is indeed very intense film. I like it very much. As I watched it all the memories from the Philippines came back flooding to me. I felt like I was cheated. Priests and our Piety fed us lies that really made Filipinos immature though not all I hope. It’s really nice. Just my kind of flick.

Cheers:)

eps

10-27-2005, 07:23 PM

I like Jeffrey Archer and John Grisham. Mmmm,… I’ve just finished reading Puppet (Joy Fielding).

I find these two books very inspiring: How To Stop Worrying and Start Living (Dale Carnegie) and The Little Prince…:slight_smile:

zenki

10-27-2005, 09:10 PM

check out its website: www.blueparrottokyo. com (http://www.blueparrottokyo. com)

enjoy!

maraming salamat!! hehehe pero sa tokyo lang ata ito…mejo malayo ako sa tokyo…

ontopic: Nicholas Spark’s books are also worthwile to read which includes The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, The Wedding (a sequel of the notebook), and The Rescue. Before i left i was trying to read A Bend on the Road but was not able to even start.

I also saw this author in several bookshops in Pinas but didnt buy it: Kazuo Ishiguro but I’d like to try reading it though. Sana makakita ako dito…

maytatsu

11-01-2005, 01:09 PM

ive always love daniell steel novels romantic kuno! kasi di lang love story but it talks bout family, work, travel, history etc. etc…i like da vinci code din it`ll surely make ure eyebrows raise when you finish it haha…by the way i get all my books in BLUEPARROT shop in akihabara and takadanobaba all english at may magazines plus games pa! i just bought my kid a playstation game worth 500 yen lang 2 games na yun, so damn cheap in there at after nyo basahin you can trade it or sell it back to them with syempre much lower price na. :slight_smile:

Paul

11-01-2005, 04:41 PM

The book that made me decide to go home after my undergraduate studies here with the hope of doing something good for my country.

Viajero (Amazon.com) by F. Sionil Jose (F. Sionil José - Wikipedia)

andres

11-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Uy, andaming replies!
Masarap talagang pag-usapan ang mga libro. Parang old friends/common acquaintances.

Angela’s Ashes. Niregaluhan ako ng kapatid ko nito nung pasko, ilang taon na, pero hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa rin nababasa (sorry!). Yung simula pa lang nabasa ko… naaalala ko lang naibagsak siya sa lupa nung uncle niya nung bata pa siya (tama ba? o ibang libro ba yon?)

Kazuo Ishiguro. I highly recommend “The Remains Of The Day”. Medyo slow-paced, but it grows on you. It is the story of an aging English butler whose world is rapidly becoming obsolete (in both the physical and the moral sense). Thought provoking.

JRR Tolkien. Aba, pareho tayo, Dax & Pip, mas nag-enjoy ako sa pagbasa ng The Hobbit kesa LOTR (although it took me a while to be able to admit this to myself). Mas intimate kasi, you feel like you were “really there”.

CS Lewis’ Narnia Chronicles. Binasa ko yung The Horse and His Boy, & The Last Battle. Hmmm… he’s not really my cup of tea, to tell the truth. (naku, mukhang delikado ‘to, marami yatang CS Lewis fans dito… peace! :))

Haruki Murakami. I’ve been reading “Norweigan Wood” close to two years now, but I still can’t finish it. Not that it’s not good. It’s great. Uh, personal reasons.

F. Sionil Jose!! His book “Po-on” is probably the best Filipino novel I’ve ever read. In the US version the book is titled “Dusk (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375751440/qid=1130847109/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xg l14/103-4877886-0386234?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)”. Lalo na kung taga Pangasinan kayo, tiyak magugustuhan niyo ito. Etong Viajero hindi ko pa nababasa, pero mukhang mahusay, masubukan nga…

han

11-01-2005, 10:05 PM

Uy, andaming replies!
Masarap talagang pag-usapan ang mga libro. Parang old friends/common acquaintances.

Angela’s Ashes. Niregaluhan ako ng kapatid ko nito nung pasko, ilang taon na, pero hanggang ngayon hindi ko pa rin nababasa (sorry!). Yung simula pa lang nabasa ko… naaalala ko lang naibagsak siya sa lupa nung uncle niya nung bata pa siya (tama ba? o ibang libro ba yon?)

----yung uncle nya (kapatid ng mommy ni frank) ang nabagsak po sa lupa, pero nabuhay naman. :>

CS Lewis’ Narnia Chronicles. Binasa ko yung The Horse and His Boy, & The Last Battle. Hmmm… he’s not really my cup of tea, to tell the truth. (naku, mukhang delikado ‘to, marami yatang CS Lewis fans dito… peace! :))

—most popular is the liion, the witch and the wardrobe (book 2, movie version will be shown in december). but i like the magician’s nephew better (book 1). nakakatawa. baka mas ma-appreciate mo rin ito. :>

reon

11-01-2005, 10:36 PM

Salamat sa reply, han. Ngayon kailangan ko pang hanapin yang 'Tis. :slight_smile:

Nu’ng nahiram ko ang Angela’s Ashes, kasama nito ang The Alchemist at The Devil and Miss Prym ni Paulo Coelho. Una kong binasa yung dalawang libro (mas manipis kasi at mas maganda ang covers). Okay lang yung dalawa, pero mas magaling yung memoir ni Frank McCourt.

Lately, hindi na ako nakakabasa ng novels masyado, either non-fiction o mga short stories lang. Mas madaling basahin at less ang investment ng time. Medyo disappointed ako sa Angels and Demons ni Dan Brown at Digital Fortress (na hindi ko na tinapos). Maganda daw ang Da Vinci Code, pero hindi ko na babasahin. Ang aking humble opinion ay mas magandang panoorin (kaysa basahin) ang mga gawa ni Dan Brown (parang sinulat talaga niya ang novels niya para gawing movies). (Peace sa mga fans ni Dan Brown. :))

Bago ang Angela’s Ashes, ang last na nabasa kong libro ay isa ring non-fiction: Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/157322118X/qid=1130851992/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1770365-2621612?v=glance&s=books). Magaling, lalo na kung mahilig kayo sa mga liblib na lugar.

Paul

11-02-2005, 03:56 PM

CS Lewis’ Narnia Chronicles
Binasa namin yung The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe sa English class ko nung 1st year ko sa university dito (inabot yun ng isang buong sem!). Ok siya pero hindi ko lang talaga type yung mga fantasy/adventure na ganitong klase. Kaya siguro hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa ko nakakabasa ni isang libro sa Harry Potter series. Nung bata kasi ko puro Enid Blyton yung mga binabasa ko kaya medyo mas malapit sa katotohanan ang nagustuhan ko.

J.R.R. Tolkien
Hindi ko natapos basahin ang LOTR. Hanggang The Hobbit lang talaga ako. Nawawalan kasi ko ng gana kapag sinisimulan ko yung trilogy, naiisip ko kasi kung gaano pang kahaba yun babasahin ko para matapos yung kwento. Hanggang inabot na ko nung pelikula. Ayun, hindi na talaga tinapos basahin.

Paulo Coelho
Pinabasa sa 'kin ng kapatid ko ang The Alchemist nung panahon na medyo nalilito ako at kasulukuyang may hinahanap na kasagutan sa isang tanong. Nabasa ko ito sa isang upuan (dahil maiksi lang naman) at binasa ko ulit ng dalawang beses dahil nagustuhan ko. At nakita ko rin ang kasagutan sa tanong ko.

Richard Feynman
The Feynman Lectures on Physics…joke lang. ‘Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!’ ang tinutukoy ko. Aliw 'tong librong 'to. Lalo na kung naging textbook niyo sa Physics yung The Feynman Lectures on Physics tulad ko. Ewan ko, mahilig lang akong magbasa tungkol sa mga buhay ng mga idol kong scientist.

infeliz

12-29-2005, 11:46 PM

I like Allan Pease and Barbara’s books:
Body Language, Why Men don’t listen and Women can’t read maps, Why men lie and Women cry and Why men can only do one thing at a time and Women never stop talking :slight_smile:

houseboy

12-30-2005, 12:00 AM

J.R.R. Tolkien
Hindi ko natapos basahin ang LOTR. Hanggang The Hobbit lang talaga ako. Nawawalan kasi ko ng gana kapag sinisimulan ko yung trilogy, naiisip ko kasi kung gaano pang kahaba yun babasahin ko para matapos yung kwento. Hanggang inabot na ko nung pelikula. Ayun, hindi na talaga tinapos basahin.

… napagtyagaan ko yung LOTR. Ayos sa alright.:stuck_out_tongue:

Wala ba nagbabasa ng libro ni Pol Medina Jr.? Yung comic book niya? Hehehehe…

infeliz

12-30-2005, 12:10 AM

Wala ba nagbabasa ng libro ni Pol Medina Jr.? Yung comic book niya? Hehehehe…

You mean pugad baboy :confused: Read some of it…it’s so funny :slight_smile:

ugnayan

12-30-2005, 12:54 AM

The Testament by John Grisham…may collection ako ng novels nya :slight_smile:
The Roadless Travelled
Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
Book? by Carlos Bolusan
II Chronicles…a book in the Bible…trying to finish the whole Bible before the year ends :slight_smile:

puting tainga

12-30-2005, 01:56 AM

I am happy to find some of my favorite books(or writers) are already mentioned here. (Warren, Grisham, Ludlum, Brown, Le Petit Prince, etc)

As I have posted to another thread, I am now reading Bill Clinton’s autobiography, which I have to return to the library soon.
Addiction to TF prevents me from finishing it.

Partly out of obligation, but mostly for the sheer joy of reading it, I read the Bible every morning, and every night, little by little, maybe a chapter or two, in bed.
Mostly I use Tagalog KJV, together with KJV. (Bilingual Bible)
I read MBB, too.
I read NIV together with Japanese Shinkaiyaku. (Bilingual Bible)

I am interested to find ugnayan’s choice of II Chronicles out of 66 books in the Bible.
At night, I read Leviticus very often.

midnight

12-30-2005, 03:41 AM

@puting tainga: im curious, where do you borrow books in tokyo ? you mentioned library, is there a library here in tokyo that features English books ?

kikx_miles

12-30-2005, 04:40 AM

why men don’t listen,why women can’t read maps…eto yung book na magtuturo satin para maintindihan ang mga ugali ng lalaki at babae.

the alchemist-kahit maikli lang maraming matututunan na lesson,nakaka adik basahin!

puting tainga

12-30-2005, 07:22 AM

I’m curious, where do you borrow books in Tokyo ? You mentioned library, is there a library here in Tokyo that features English books ?

Oh, yes.

If you go to the central library(chuo toshokan) of your ward or city, most probably there are English books on bookshelves. If you go to a branch library, you can ask the clerk to get it from the central library.
(Your ward or city means you are working or living in it. )

A city or ward doesn’t have so many foreign books, maybe a few hundred books, or a few thousand.
But you can ask the clerk to borrow it for you from other libraries that are affiliated with their computer system.

Usually the clerk can not speak English, but I know your Japanese is very good. To those whose Japanese is not very good I recommend you to print it on a paper and show it to them. They can not speak English, but they surely can read. Most city/ward workers are from prestigious universities.

You can also search it by yourself on the net.
Search with such keywords as 図書館 外国語 蔵書 都(toshokan gaikokugo zousyo to)

You can even ask the clerk to buy a book you want.
There usually is a card titled リクエストカード or 図書購入希望票(tosho kounyuu kibou hyou), you fill it in, with your name and address, and the clerk will submit it to the book selection committee to be analyzed and if the committee thinks the book harmless, then they will buy it. This procedure takes several months.

puting tainga

12-30-2005, 08:19 AM

It seems their servers are down now, together with the library.
Most city/ward offices open from Jan 4, I think.

RODSKI

12-30-2005, 09:19 AM

I recommend Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by the same author. The latter book is the precursor to the DaVinci Code. mind everyone that this books are works of fiction … might raise a lot of questions in your mind :slight_smile: . . . . . . nabasa ko na po yung book by DAN BROWN . . . A&D ,DVC, wala naman po cguro magbabago sa paniwala ng mga pinoy na catholic, kya lang if we are going to research tulad ng ginawa ni DAN BROWN, eh bka abutin tyo ng 20 taon:D :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: isa pa, di kya cguro si DAN BROWN at ROBERT LANGDON ay iisa? ano po sa palagay nyo DOCOMO?:confused: :slight_smile:

RODSKI

12-30-2005, 09:26 AM

Wala ba nagbabasa ng libro ni Pol Medina Jr.? Yung comic book niya? Hehehehe… . . . . . . . . . . KUYA HOUSE BOY mukha nga di nyo na tlaga ntapos yung libro na bnabasa nyo,kse nkatulog yta kyo :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: sara nyo lang po yung. . . . bka may pumasok:D pero ok din po yung book na yun:)

mikoboy78

12-30-2005, 11:21 AM

J.R.R. Tolkien : “The Hobbit”
Dan Brown: DVC and Angels and Demons (there are tons of fictions in these books and can lead to misguiding your faith)
J K Rowling: HP 1-5 (disappointed with book 5) dont wanna read HB Prince, book 6

RODSKI

12-30-2005, 01:23 PM

J.R.R. Tolkien : “The Hobbit”
Dan Brown: DVC and Angels and Demons (there are tons of fictions in these books and can lead to misguiding your faith)
J K Rowling: HP 1-5 (disappointed with book 5) dont wanna read HB Prince, book 6. . . . . . . . . . .kuya MIKOBOY,kung talagang you have FAITH and BELIEF,then walang mkakakuha syo nun maski na anong book pa yan maski na DAN BROWNS A&D OR DVC,TONS of fiction pa yan ang importante you ENJOY of whatever book na binasa mo db kuya MIKOBOY :slight_smile: , sa palagay mo ba,JK ROWLING`S all HP eh totoo?:smiley: the key is NAG EENJOY KA.mukhang ikaw na mimis guide ni JK ROWLING eh hihihi:D ,pero ok din po yun.

docomo

12-30-2005, 04:27 PM

. . . . . . nabasa ko na po yung book by DAN BROWN . . . A&D ,DVC, wala naman po cguro magbabago sa paniwala ng mga pinoy na catholic, kya lang if we are going to research tulad ng ginawa ni DAN BROWN, eh bka abutin tyo ng 20 taon:D :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: isa pa, di kya cguro si DAN BROWN at ROBERT LANGDON ay iisa? ano po sa palagay nyo DOCOMO?:confused: :slight_smile:

… Mind stirring ang book , that is up to the person kung padadala sya sa sinasabi ng book or hinde :slight_smile:

… There’s a rumor that this two authors is only one person , it could be … How they Conform a thought is what pays my attention to :slight_smile:

houseboy

12-30-2005, 05:28 PM

. . . . . . . . . . KUYA HOUSE BOY mukha nga di nyo na tlaga ntapos yung libro na bnabasa nyo,kse nkatulog yta kyo :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: sara nyo lang po yung. . . . bka may pumasok:D pero ok din po yung book na yun:)

Napagtyagaan ko, ibig sabihin nun, nabasa ko kahit na dinugo ilong ko sa pagbabasa. Hirap kasi umintindi ng ingles e. Yan ang mahirap sa mga bobong tulad ko.:smiley:

PM Jr.'s PUGAD BABOY nga yun Ms. Gorgeous (Infeliz). May bf na po kayo? Hahahahaha!!!

tepen

12-30-2005, 05:34 PM

one of my favorite book I read is The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by: Stephen Covey. today, tinatapos ko yung The World is Flat by: Thomas Friedman and next to this na gusto kung basahin is Lasting Leadership by: Wharton School Publishing.

ugnayan

12-31-2005, 01:27 AM

I am happy to find some of my favorite books(or writers) are already mentioned here. (Warren, Grisham, Ludlum, Brown, Le Petit Prince, etc)

Partly out of obligation, but mostly for the sheer joy of reading it, I read the Bible every morning, and every night, little by little, maybe a chapter or two, in bed.
I read MBB, too.

I am interested to find ugnayan’s choice of II Chronicles out of 66 books in the Bible.

Kumusta po, Puting_tainga! It took me about 3 hours to finish the book of II Chronicles yesterday. I have 3 more books in my new Bible to read…no particular order in my devotional reading this year. What a timely reading on II Chronicles 7:14 as I enter the New Year. I shared to my Indian friend about my current readings and he asked me to read Deuteronomy 6-8 before the year ends. So marami pa akong babasahin bago magstrike ng 12 midnight! I pray mabasa ko nga:)

For 22 years, I’m reading only King James Version of the Bible…but now I read different versions even Greek and Hebrew. Rick Warren also mentioned a lot of versions in his book Purpose-Driven Life. What comes to mind now is…we are an open Bible to people. Ano kaya ang nababasa nila sa atin?

Let me share this to my Timog Forum Family as my New Year greeting and blessing: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14

RODSKI

12-31-2005, 09:19 AM

… Mind stirring ang book , that is up to the person kung padadala sya sa sinasabi ng book or hinde :slight_smile:

… There’s a rumor that this two authors is only one person , it could be … How they Conform a thought is what pays my attention to :slight_smile: . . … oo nga po kuya docomo,salamat sa reply!!!:slight_smile:

RODSKI

12-31-2005, 09:29 AM

Napagtyagaan ko, ibig sabihin nun, nabasa ko kahit na dinugo ilong ko sa pagbabasa. Hirap kasi umintindi ng ingles e. Yan ang mahirap sa mga bobong tulad ko.:smiley:

PM Jr.'s PUGAD BABOY nga yun Ms. Gorgeous (Infeliz). May bf na po kayo? Hahahahaha!!! . . . . . tumpak po kyo kuya house boy!!!kahit na bagsak na ulo natin sa kakabasa,napapagtyag aan pa din, naks! nakuha ni ate infeliz attention mo ah hehehe!:smiley: HAPPY NEW YEAR PO!!!

RODSKI

12-31-2005, 09:31 AM

… There’s a rumor that this two authors is only one person , it could be … How they Conform a thought is what pays my attention to :slight_smile: . . . . . KUYA docomo DI KYA MEMBER YUNG AUTHOR NG secret society? hehehe:)

selina

12-31-2005, 11:31 AM

hello guys :yesyes: ngayon ko lang nakita tong thread na to ah!!!ureshii,me i have read the lord of the rings trilogy,harry potter series,may collection din po ako ng mga danielle steel novels,i like john grisham(sorry po di ko sure ang spelling) novels too,nung mabasa ko yong da vinci code by dan brown,very interesting to read,angels and demons too but every day i read the DAILY BREAD the best po:thumb:

docomo

12-31-2005, 12:36 PM

. . . . . KUYA docomo DI KYA MEMBER YUNG AUTHOR NG secret society? hehehe:)

Malaman natin yan Rodski… :slight_smile:

Summer!

12-31-2005, 03:16 PM

Highly recommended so far, next to bible para sa akin, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom…kung gusto mong mamuhay nang walang kiyeme sa sasabihin ng iba, basta namumuhay ka nang matiwasay and at peace sa sarili mo, I think you should try reading this, and you’ll be keeping this book for life…:slight_smile:

another is Toto Chan by Tetsuko Kuroyonagi, it’s a true to life story about a young girl who had to undergo a non-conventional type of education during WWII, ang ganda rin, sobrang ite-treasure mo din !:wink:

RODSKI

12-31-2005, 06:09 PM

Highly recommended so far, next to bible para sa akin, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom…kung gusto mong mamuhay nang walang kiyeme sa sasabihin ng iba, basta namumuhay ka nang matiwasay and at peace sa sarili mo, I think you should try reading this, and you’ll be keeping this book for life…:slight_smile:

another is Toto Chan by Tetsuko Kuroyonagi, it’s a true to life story about a young girl who had to undergo a non-conventional type of education during WWII, ang ganda rin, sobrang ite-treasure mo din !:wink: . . . . . . kuya summer or ate summer? tama po kyo sun sa cnabi nyo totoo po yun! . . hapinyuyir:)

Summer!

01-03-2006, 11:04 PM

. . . . . . kuya summer or ate summer? tama po kyo sun sa cnabi nyo totoo po yun! . . hapinyuyir:)

hi, rodski! ate summer desu! happy new year din sa iyo!

denganda

01-04-2006, 09:48 AM

My favorites
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, First Things First, Principle Centered Leadership - all by Stephen Covey – although they’re categorized as business books, they’re basically self-help books pero most of the examples cited in the books are business related

Empires of the Mind: Lessons to Lead & Succeed in a Knowledge-Based World - Denis Waitley – gaya rin ng Covey books, under business pero actually self-help

The Road Less Traveled - M. Scott Peck

Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman

Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies - James Collins & Jerry Porras

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap & Others Don’t - Jim Collins

Raising an Emotionaly Intelligent Child - John Gottman, Ph.D. – the best parenting book I’ve read so far. It focuses on emotional intelligence, what studies show that happy & successful people have.

The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work - John Gottman, Ph. D.

The Christ Commission - Og Mandino – I liked the take on this book, a guy in the modern times who by accident travels back in time to talk with those closest to Jesus

Smart Couples Finish Rich - David Bach – great personal finance book; for women, merong Smart Women Finish Rich, which I actually read first.

Personal Finance for Dummies

The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown – the only fiction book I’ve read in a long time that lives up to its hype. A lot of the things mentioned in the book are so intriguing & at the very least makes you really think about things, or at least it did for me.

You: The Owner’s Manual - Dr. Michael Roizen & Dr. Mehmet Oz – great book that describes in layman’s terms how our body works & how to take care of it. Lots of great tips on what to do, what not to do, & even includes recipes at the end of the book.

I order most of my books online sa amazon.com (first job ko sa States) kasi it’s so convenient & napakadaming selections. Even with the military discounted rates on base, sometimes it’s still cheaper to order online, wala pang shipping basta over $25 ang order & you choose free super saver shipping. My books get here within 7-10 business days, parang sa States din. They also have a Japanese online store, pero I don’t know how extensive the selection is. Free din ang shipping for orders over 1500 yen. If you can’t read Japanese yet, you can click on a tab so you can read it in English.

lilo

01-04-2006, 11:21 AM

I’ve read Dan Brown’s books too, and I liked A&D best.

@mikoboy, i have a collection of harry potter books and i agree with you, the 5th book is the worst. pero try reading the half blood prince, mas oks sya sa 5th.

For those who like Paolo Coelho’s books, try nyo din “veronica decides to die”. i liked 11 minutes and the alchemist, pero it was veronica decides to die that inspired me.

anybody here who likes stephen king’s books? a friend lent me the books “it” and “pet sematary”…was scared of clowns and cats for weeks…

nabasa ko na rin yung lotr…worth the time talaga…i have yet to read the hobbit, though.

i have a collection of john grisham’s books din…pero fave ko yung “the client”

i’m currently reading “the unbearable lightness of being” by milan kundera. it’s an interesting novel…sana matapos ko na sya soon…

chameleon

01-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Hello Fellow Bookworms,

Have you come across any new interesting books or authors lately?..Finally ,I have finished reading all of Dan Brown’s books…from Angels and Demons to Da Vinci Code,then Digital Fortress to Deception Point…If you have not yet read Da Vinci Code,I suggest you read the Angels and Demons first before Da Vinci Code because it is the preceding book where Dr. Langdon first came out as a protagonist…

I also love Ludlum,Follet,Forsyt h,David Baldacci,Grisham ( legal fiction), Dean Kontz,Patricia Cromwell (forensics) ,Michael Crichton for science fiction,etc…Jeffey Deaver for mystery thrillers…

I would love to hear though of another Dan Brown author in the making…if ever…

adechan

01-18-2006, 07:09 PM

I read MBB, too.

hi there puting tainga … it is really so wonderful to know this … ako din bilingual KJV ang lagi kung binubuklat ngayon …

i’m also trying to read japanese while browsing it into english …

lately I’m trying to concentrate reading the whole chapter of psalms for my personal reflection and that book evaluation … kaya lang nababawasan ang oras ko dahil minsan napapatagal ako sa internet.

if you know “Full Life Study Bible” NIV version of new testament … it is so good to read, because every verses have short bible teachings … presently na mi miss ko na nga … nasa hiraman at hindi maibalik balik

adechan

01-18-2006, 07:27 PM

dati po sydney sheldon’s novels, some of daniel steel

at dati pong addict nang mini tagalog pocketbooks >>> “anyone?”

i like the Celestial Prophecy dati …

iyong Purpose Driven Life po parang Christian version nang Celestial prophecy speaking of Life’s purpose.

Paminsan minsan reviewing the PDL (purpose driven life) in tagalog version

and minsan mga poetry and devotional books

Revival’s Golden Key by Ray Comfort (unlocking the door to revival) … hindi pa nga lang matapos tapos basahin

recommended po FULL LIFE STUDY BIBLE para na rin kayong may instant teacher habang binabasa ninyo, nagiging napakadaling intindihin kung anong ibig sabihin sa mga bible verses … lalo na po doon sa mga hindi sanay magbuklat nang Bible.

and most and foremost KJV BIBLE (King James Version):halo: :halo: :halo:

DaiRyouKoJin

01-18-2006, 07:38 PM

Books ive read in the past

• Mitch Albom’s
  • Dan Brown’s
  • John Grisham’s The Notebook
  • The Little prince - eto ang favorite book ko since elementary days ko pa…
  • Loisa May Alcot’s Little Women
  • John Steibeck’s The Pearl
  • Paul Coehlo’s The Alchemist
  • Chronicles of Narnia
  • Chicken Soup for the soul 1-4
  • Chicken Soup for the Nurse’s soul

Just finish reading 100 simple secrets of Happy People :slight_smile:
Currently reading - John Gray’s Mars and Venus in the Bedroom hehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Planning to read pag uwi ng pinas:
Rule of Four
Charlotte’s web

Sayang wala dito sa Japan nung Uncle John’s Bathroom reader…bka meron naman sa inyo na nakatapos na nun, kahit anung version, akin na lang peliiisss…:smiley:

City_rabbit

01-19-2006, 02:17 AM

eto pa … good read din po:)

Local author" Lualhati Bautista" for dekada 70, Gapo … some of you may find it “baduy” …but I loved her stories …one in a million :wink:

Docomo san, please send me a PM about the author Lualhati Bautista, I think she might be my batchmate in college. ; )

By the way -

The books I read -

Fr. Jerry Orbos books - Moments series…

Embraced by the Light by Betty J. Eadie

Angel Power - by Janice T. Connell

The books above helped me alot after our baby passed away…

Am presently reading…
Leo F. Buscaglia books - Loving each other; Living, Loving and Learning;
and Love.

I have also read and I love these books…
The Hustler by Walter Travis; Billiards-the official Rules and Record book; Mosconi on Pocket Billiards…

:cool:

docomo

01-19-2006, 11:47 AM

city rabbit … I will :slight_smile:

rmg

01-19-2006, 12:47 PM

hi just finished reading john grisham’s THE BROKER…i think its a nice read

also the popular DA VINCI CODE, i heard they already made a movie out of it…showing sya may 2006 tom hanks ang gaganap…

may sequel na rin yung THE NOTEBOOK ni nicholas sparks entitled THE wedding,ganda rin romantic…its about how to bring the romance back sa mga couples na sobrang tagal na

& cz im a new parent very helpful din skin ang “WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE FIRST YEAR”

nung dalaga pa ko…na enjoy ko rin ang “THE RULES”

also FASCINATING WOMANHOOD is nice…

zenki

01-20-2006, 07:03 PM

english books here in this part of japan is scarce…i mean when i went to the honya(nearest to the place i live in)…i saw that almost all the books there are the ones i’ve read already…so i settle for e-books that are sent to me by friends…these e-books are pdf files…

i have the following ebooks:
LOTR ( i think the book is better than the movie…very long and sometimes confusing bec of the words and charcters used but its worth reading)
Hobbit (a prelude to the LOTR series)
Harry Potter ( first 6 books are good…quite an easy read…i the first four books i finished in 2 nights…book 5 and 6 i finished in a week)

and my recent acquisition…The Chronicles of Narnia (7books)
i havnt finished narnia yet (3 books more to go)

and right now i am also looking at japanese literature (but those translated in english) that i’ve borrowed from the toshokan and i have read the following: (with some side comments)

The Black Rain (a novel about the Hiroshima Bombing told in a civilian’s perspective and how it affected their lives)

Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki (its like Memoirs of a Geisha, but this time told by a geisha herself…i really wanted to see real geisha…)

i tried reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro but i had to return it to the toshokan bec its due already and havnt finished it because I was bored…or maybe the first part didnt capture my interest
and the other night I have started reading First Snow on Fuji by Yasunari Kawabata and i find it rather interesting and sort of weird…i have yet to finish it…

if anyone is interested in ebooks you may pm me if you want a copy…:slight_smile:

totomai

03-02-2006, 12:54 AM

again nice thread. :smiley:

sarap talaga pag bakasyon, kasi nakakabasa ako dito sa thread na ito.

here’s my fave books

Angela’s Ashes gald to know that marami ang may gusto sa book na ito. i havent heard about this book before but because of boredom, binili ko ito sa garage sale at 50 yen only, hard bound pa. :stuck_out_tongue: kailanman di ko ito bebenta. di ko nagsisi, ang galing ng pagkagawa ng libre. loved the injection of humor in every scene. kahit mabigat na sa dibdib, napapangiti ka pa rin sa mga hirit ng characters.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Grisham. dito rin kinuha ang story para sa Simon Birch na movie. The friendship of two characters here is one of the things that I will remember hanggang sa mamatay ako. walang biro.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpha Lahiri, a collection of short stories. Just great! Especially the story of The Last Durwan.

maimai

03-02-2006, 07:51 AM

i Love novel books…
i have finished reading some of
Danielle Steel books
*Answered Prayers
*The Long Road Home
*Lone Eagle
*Journeys
*Ransom
*The Gift
*To love again
and many mores…

and Sidney Sheldon books
*Bloodline
*Windmills of the Gods
*The Stars Shine Down
*Morning,Noon & Nights
*Nothing Lasts Forever
and many mores…

And Im now reading “Why men Don’t LIsten, Women Can’t Read Maps”(How we’re different and what to do about it) by Allan & Barbara Peas…You will find this book sometimes challenging,sometime s startling,but always fascinating…And also this books is to help you learn more about both yourself and the opposite sex,so that your interaction and relationships can be more fulfilling,enjoyable and satisfying…
This books takes relationship understanding to new hieghts and Its makes you laughed and learned so much at the same time…:wink:

Dax

03-06-2006, 03:52 PM

As I was browsing PDI’s online version, I found this story (http://news.inq7.net/regions/index.php?index=1&story_id=68447) about a rare plant species discovered in Mt. Asog, Camarines Sur. It’s a kind of rafflesia and was named Rafflesia irigaense. Halfway through the article, I got curious and searched Google under the keywords “rafflesia iriga”, hoping that I would find some photographs of it’s flower.

The first link (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Chapter XVIII (by Fedor Jagor et al)) from the search result was from an online book. The author tells that he found some “rotten rafflesia” half-way on his ascent to Mt. Mazaraga (now called Mt. Masaraga). He also mentions something about Spaniards…Spaniard s? Wow, this book is about the Philippines during the Spanish times! I immediately clicked on the link to the Preface at the bottom and started reading. I haven’t read much yet, but I think this is a very interesting book for Filipinos who are curious of what it was like in the Philippines during (and a little about before) the Spanish colonial period.

I found out that it was written by several people: German scientist Fedor Jagor (1816-1900) who was a friend and counsellor to Jose Rizal, “liberal” Spaniard Tomas de Comyn, German doctor Rudolf Ludwig Karl Virchow (1821-1902), American Naval officer Charles Wilkes, and others.

The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes, from Authorama :
Part I (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Part II (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Part III (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Part III (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Part IV (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Part IV (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Part V (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - (E) (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Part VI and VII (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Part VI (by Fedor Jagor et al)), Notes (The Former Philippines thru Foreign Eyes - Notes (by Fedor Jagor et al)).

It is also available at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10770), and at Explorion (http://explorion.net/f.jagor-t.comyn-ch.wilkes-r.virchow-philippines-foreign-eyes/index.html), but I prefer the Authorama version. :slight_smile:

ichimar

03-06-2006, 03:58 PM

im finish reading the purpose of your life:foreword by james redfield…finding your place in the world using synchronicity,intuit ion and uncommon sense.:slight_smile:

Dax

06-06-2006, 02:19 PM

Arguably, Jesus Christ is the most important person in history. The Gospels mention how he was born in Bethlehem, taken to Egypt, then to Nazareth, and debating with the Pharisees at the Temple when he was 12. And then fast-forward to the time he was baptized by John his cousin, at age 30. So what happened to the 18 years that he was “lost”? Where did he go? What did he do? :confused:

A couple of weeks ago I finished reading this book entitled, “Lamb”. It’s about Levi bar Alphaeus, who is called by the nickname “Biff”. He was born in Galilee during the time Christ walked the earth. He was his best friend. :slight_smile:

Well, this is of course a fiction. A work of imagination, that should not be taken literally. If you had problems reading The Da Vinci Code, then perhaps this one is not for you. :smiley: If you want to laugh, to see how the apostles, Mary the Magdalene, the Romans, and of course Jesus and Biff talked and acted “off stage”, without it hurting your beliefs, then maybe you should try this. :wink: But I gotta warn you…the author is crazy! :hihi:

ayumi

06-07-2006, 12:38 AM

I’m reading now…
“WHY MEN DON’T LISTEN and WOMEN CAN’T READ MAPS” by Allan and Barbara Pease
“THE ROUGH GUIDE to THE DA VINCI CODE” the book,the movie,the thruth
by: Michael and Veronica Haag
and “THE COMPLETE IDIOT’S GUIDE” second edition by:Gary F. Moring
…it’s about idiot-proof explanations of electricity,magnetis m,heat,and the role they play in
Einstein’s theories…
…I will be reading this for 3 months…paulit- ulit…as always…para ma-absurb ko at least 10% of what I read.:scratch:

houseboy

06-09-2006, 10:57 PM

hi just finished reading john grisham’s THE BROKER…i think its a nice read

also the popular DA VINCI CODE, i heard they already made a movie out of it…showing sya may 2006 tom hanks ang gaganap…

Hirap talaga ng matagal na hindi pumapasok sa TF. Daming kaganapan. Hehehe…

Kung nabasa niyo yung DA VINCI CODE, dapat ay basahin niyo yung HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL nina Richard Leigh at Michael Baigent (LEIGH TEABING… yung TEABING ay anagram ng BAIGENT). Hehehehe… …

Nakabili ako ng 100 en na libro… Hannibal. Sa wakas, matatapos ko na rin basahin ang HANNIBAL Trifecta.

Sa may mga libro na gusto niyo nang itapon, ipamigay niyo na lang sa akin. Hehehehe.:smiley:

halloween

06-10-2006, 12:23 AM

@houseboy
Pwede bang maarbor ang Hannibal book pagkatapos mong basahin? Para naman meron akong mapaglibangan pagtapos kong magbasa ng mga librong walang kwenta. :slight_smile:

Napanood ko yung movie nyan eh at nagandahan ako. Baka nga pala meron kang Silence of the Lambs paarbor na rin.

houseboy

06-10-2006, 08:39 PM

@houseboy
Pwede bang maarbor ang Hannibal book pagkatapos mong basahin? Para naman meron akong mapaglibangan pagtapos kong magbasa ng mga librong walang kwenta. :slight_smile:

Napanood ko yung movie nyan eh at nagandahan ako. Baka nga pala meron kang Silence of the Lambs paarbor na rin.

Yung Silence of the Lambs ko at Red Dragon ay nasa Pinas. :smiley:

poulain

06-30-2006, 04:31 PM

:: im a book lover too…

heres my list:

:: the sophies world
:: the notebook
:: the alchemist
:: the five people you meet in heaven
:: tuesdays with morrie
:: angels and demons
:: da vinci code
:: a walk to remember
:: 11 minutes
:: veronica decides to die
:: the wedding
::to kill a mocking bird
:: good in bed
:: in her shoes
:: confessions of a shopaholic…
:: gossip girl…

mejo madami heheee i love books dakara

greatbarrier

06-30-2006, 08:43 PM

sali rin po ako dito!

can’t remember all the books that i read! i’ve been reading since i was a kid coz it’s my father’s favorite hobby! & being a papa’s girl, ayan, i become a book lover too!

listed below are my fave!

• the little prince (my all-time favorite! read this countless times! even took note of nice quotes and passages into my journal)
  • love story
  • like water for chocolates
  • bridges of madison county
  • harry potter book series
  • lotr trilogy & the hobbit
  • the chronicles of narnia
  • kane & abel
  • the prodigal daughter
  • the fourth estate
  • honor among thieves
  • charlotte’s web (i like this a lot coz it’s a story of great friendship. i gave all my bestfriends a copy)
  • stuart little
  • who moved my cheese (easy reading but very deep)
  • the diary of anne frank
  • little lord fauntleroy
  • master of the game
  • the sands of time
  • morning, noon & night
  • memories of midnight
  • tell me your dreams
  • rage of angels
  • the stars shine down
  • nothing lasts forever
  • stranger in the mirror
  • a time to kill
  • the pelican brief
  • the testament
  • the street lawyer
  • the summon
  • the broker
  • chicken soap for the soul
  • a purpose-driven life
  • little princess
  • iliad & odyssey (school requirement but loved it nonetheless)
  • the road less travelled
  • to kill a mocking bird
  • some perry mason’s (the detective lawyer in the novels)

hehehe…dami pala…gomen po…i bought most of these books. wanted to resell sana…but i just can’t…

indeed…reading does a lot to everyone. it sluices out one’s weariness…it brings one’s imagination to a dimension no one would ever reach…and yes, it’s a boon to one’s self-awareness and discovery…

wanna share this quote that i saw in my journal…can’t remember where i got it though…

“A great book is often such a midwife, delivering to the light what has been coiled like an embryo in the dark depths of the brain.”

houseboy

06-30-2006, 09:26 PM

:: im a book lover too…

heres my list:

:: the sophies world
:: the notebook
:: the alchemist
:: the five people you meet in heaven
:: tuesdays with morrie
:: angels and demons
:: da vinci code
:: a walk to remember
:: 11 minutes… …
mejo madami heheee i love books dakara

Hmmmmmmmmm… dami mo “girly books”, Ma’am Poulain.:wink: Kanagawa area ka rin pala. Meron ka alam na mabibilhan ng kahit na 2nd hand books dito?

poulain

06-30-2006, 11:43 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm… dami mo “girly books”, Ma’am Poulain.:wink: Kanagawa area ka rin pala. Meron ka alam na mabibilhan ng kahit na 2nd hand books dito?

yung iba lng po ang Girly Book di lahat, i forgot some titles pa eh… heheee
wala me alam 2nd hand bookstores (english) i order kc sa amazon, dun mdami mga dicounted books…:slight_smile:

houseboy

07-08-2006, 12:38 AM

yung iba lng po ang Girly Book di lahat, i forgot some titles pa eh… heheee
wala me alam 2nd hand bookstores (english) i order kc sa amazon, dun mdami mga dicounted books…:slight_smile:

Salamat po! :wink:

halloween

07-13-2006, 09:07 PM

@sa mga bookworms dito
Meron ba kayong ma isa suggest na inspiring book gaya ng Tuesdays with Morrie?
At kung gusto nyong lubus lubusin eh pahiram nyo na rin sa 'ken, hehehe.

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 10:20 AM

@sa mga bookworms dito
Meron ba kayong ma isa suggest na inspiring book gaya ng Tuesdays with Morrie?
At kung gusto nyong lubus lubusin eh pahiram nyo na rin sa 'ken, hehehe.
hi sistah! have you read The Alchemist and The Little Prince? These are old books but my all-time favorites…read it several times… :smiley: I think medyo same category yan ng Tuesdays with Morrie…pa-OT konti. sayang at di ka makakauwi, bigyan pa naman sana kita nung The Alchemist…:wink:

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 10:56 AM

hi sistah! have you read The Alchemist and The Little Prince? These are old books but my all-time favorites…read it several times… :smiley: I think medyo same category yan ng Tuesdays with Morrie…pa-OT konti. sayang at di ka makakauwi, bigyan pa naman sana kita nung The Alchemist…;)Naba sa ko na ung The Alchemist. Nagustuhan ko talaga. Ang daming meaning ng story at saka ang gandang basahin. :smiley:

Here’s a list of some of the books that I’ve read (masyadong marami ang Star Trek, trekkie kasi ako :D)

• Star Trek: A Time to Be Born (book 1)

• Star Trek: A Time to Die (book 2)

• Star Trek: A Time to Sow (book 3)

• Star Trek: A Time to Harvest (book 4)

• Star Trek: A Time to Love (book 5)

• Star Trek: A Time to Hate (book 6)

• Star Trek: A Time to Kill (book 7) (may last 2 books pa na d ko nabasa)

• also some mininovels of Star Trek: TNG, Voyager, TOS and Deep Space Nine (including the book Planet X where the Star Trek cast meet the X-men)

• Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

• Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

• Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

• Deception Point by Dan Brown

• The Alchemist

• To Kill a Mocking Bird

• The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

• Harry Potter books 1-6 (excited na sa book 7 :D)

Ilan lang yan sa mga libro na nabasa ko. :smiley: Suggest ko na basahin nyo ang The Catcher in The Rye, it’s a good read tsaka kotrobersyal ang librong ito :wink:

May ibang trekkies po ba dito? :smiley:

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 11:02 AM

Nabasa ko na ung The Alchemist. Nagustuhan ko talaga. Ang daming meaning ng story at saka ang gandang basahin. :smiley:
yeah! sobrang ganda ng book na yan!

what do you think sir? at a certain point in your life, do you think you were like Santiago? :wink:

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 11:11 AM

Parang meron yata. Naghahanap ako sa malayo tapos nasa tabi ko lang pala ang hinahanap ko :smiley: Ikaw greatbarrier? Nakarelate ka ba sa story? Nabasa mo na rin ba ang The Catcher in the Rye?

poulain

07-14-2006, 11:19 AM

ask ko lng besides sa Amazon / any online shopping san po sa japan meron mga books (english)

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Meron yata sa Shinjuku, nakalimutan ko nga lang ang pangalan ng building. May bookstore doon na nagtitinda din ng English books at novels. Masyadong mahal nga lng yata.

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Parang meron yata. Naghahanap ako sa malayo tapos nasa tabi ko lang pala ang hinahanap ko :smiley: Ikaw greatbarrier? Nakarelate ka ba sa story? Nabasa mo na rin ba ang The Catcher in the Rye?
yeah! pretty much!

hmmm…sige…i’ll check that book. maganda ba talaga to? :slight_smile:

kisha57

07-14-2006, 11:41 AM

I had just finished reading DA VINCI CODE and Im almost half of ANGELS andDEMONS.I think its enlightening and hope I could read more of Dan Browns,sort of collection of his exciting books, hope its non fiction at all.:slight_smile:

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 11:42 AM

yeah! pretty much!

hmmm…sige…i’ll check that book. maganda ba talaga to? :)Ang masaasbi ko lang ay, kakaiba ang mafeel mo kapag binasa mo ang librong ito. :wink: Manipis lng naman ang book, matapos mo ito ng one day lang.:smiley:

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 11:48 AM

Ang masaasbi ko lang ay, kakaiba ang mafeel mo kapag binasa mo ang librong ito. :wink: Manipis lng naman ang book, matapos mo ito ng one day lang.:Dsige, thanks a lot! i’ll check that at powerbooks ngayon lunch time. :smiley: eto rin, i-recommend ko sa yo…a pretty good book…who moved my cheese by spencer bishop…he’s a corporate writer though…but i think the concepts/lessons in that book apply to life in general…manipis lang din…i read it in an hour lang…

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 11:55 AM

sige, thanks a lot! i’ll check that at powerbooks ngayon lunch time. :smiley: eto rin, i-recommend ko sa yo…a pretty good book…who moved my cheese by spencer bishop…he’s a corporate writer though…but i think the concepts/lessons in that book apply to life in general…manipis lang din…i read it in an hour lang…Nabasa ko na rin yan. Maganda yan idiscuss for business. Maganda nga ang moral lesson nya :D. Kakaibang mga daga :smiley:

Ano pang mga libro maisuggest mo?

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Nabasa ko na rin yan. Maganda yan idiscuss for business. Maganda nga ang moral lesson nya :D. Kakaibang mga daga :smiley:

Ano pang mga libro maisuggest mo? oo nga…naaliw ako sa mga dagang yan! :smiley:

nabasa mo na ba yung charlotte’s web & stuart little ni e.b. white? both nice books, but mas maganda yung charlotte’s web…

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 12:45 PM

oo nga…naaliw ako sa mga dagang yan! :smiley:

nabasa mo na ba yung charlotte’s web & stuart little ni e.b. white? both nice books, but mas maganda yung charlotte’s web…Ano ang title ng book? Stuart little? Yan ba yung sa movie?:smiley: d ko pa nabasa yan. Cge try ko yan.:smiley:

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 12:51 PM

Ano ang title ng book? Stuart little? Yan ba yung sa movie?:smiley: d ko pa nabasa yan. Cge try ko yan.:Dyung isa is “stuart little”. yup, yan yung movie. & the second one is “charlotte’s web”. the latter is better. it’s a story of great friendship. yung mga close friends ko, i gave them a copy of this book after i read it! :slight_smile: both books are easy-reading, thinner than The Alchemist.

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 02:18 PM

yung isa is “stuart little”. yup, yan yung movie. & the second one is “charlotte’s web”. the latter is better. it’s a story of great friendship. yung mga close friends ko, i gave them a copy of this book after i read it! :slight_smile: both books are easy-reading, thinner than The Alchemist.Ayos! salamat greatbarrier.try kong maghanap sa mga librong yan.:wink:

angelitosh

07-14-2006, 02:36 PM

The last book I read was “What’s Going on in there?” from Lise Eliot.
It is a fascinating book and discusses how the brain and mind develop in the first five years of life. This book is very informative and I absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in infant and early child development, brain function, parenting, birthing process, etc.
I got it from Amazon.jp

poulain

07-14-2006, 02:58 PM

who moved my cheese by spencer bishop…he’s a corporate writer though…but i think the concepts/lessons in that book apply to life in general…manipis lang din…i read it in an hour lang…

i loved the story… i read it na 2 years ago…

recommend ko sa inyo yung Tuesdays with Morrie, ganda rin ng story and yung the five people you meet in heaven…

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 03:53 PM

i loved the story… i read it na 2 years ago…

recommend ko sa inyo yung Tuesdays with Morrie, ganda rin ng story and yung the five people you meet in heaven…Ang Tuesdays with Morrie d ko pa nabasa kaya lang nakita ko na ang movie :smiley: Cge try ko rin hanap ng mga librong yan. Thanks po.:wink:

andres

07-14-2006, 04:50 PM

ask ko lng besides sa Amazon / any online shopping san po sa japan meron mga books (english)

Ako mahilig magshopping sa 2nd hand bookstores. Sa regular stores kasi, mahal. Pag online shopping naman… ewan ko, parang may kulang… hindi ko maamoy yung mga aklat :wink: .

Anyway, eto’ mga 2nd hand bookshops sa Tokyo area (na may English books):
Blue Parrot (http://www.blueparrottokyo. com/home.html) sa Takadanobaba. Marami na akong nabili dyan :).
Bondibooks (http://www.bondibooks.com/) sa Kichioji
Good Day Books (http://www.gooddaybooks.com/gooddaybooks/contents/home/?language=english) sa Yebisu
Infinity Books (http://www.infinitybooksjap an.com/) sa Online. Dati Caravan Books sa Ikebukuro pero ngayon online na lang.

Meron pa sigurong mga iba dyan sa tabi-tabi.

andres

07-14-2006, 04:53 PM

Ilan lang yan sa mga libro na nabasa ko. :smiley: Suggest ko na basahin nyo ang The Catcher in The Rye, it’s a good read tsaka kotrobersyal ang librong ito :wink:

@Sarevok,
Isa rin yan sa mga paborito kong libro :thumb:

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 05:46 PM

@Sarevok,
Isa rin yan sa mga paborito kong libro :thumb:Ayos nga pare. Talagang kakaiba ang mararamdaman mo pagkatapos mo itong basahin.:smiley: Alam mo ba na nainspire sa librong ito ang killer ni John Lennon? At saka yung taong nagattempt ng assassination ni Ronald Reagan ay obsessed sa librong ito?:rolleyes: :smiley:

Naiintriga na ba kayo jan? Basa na rin kayo.:stuck_out_tongue:

greatbarrier

07-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Ayos nga pare. Talagang kakaiba ang mararamdaman mo pagkatapos mo itong basahin.:smiley: Alam mo ba na nainspire sa librong ito ang killer ni John Lennon? At saka yung taong nagattempt ng assassination ni Ronald Reagan ay obsessed sa librong ito?:rolleyes: :smiley:

Naiintriga na ba kayo jan? Basa na rin kayo.:stuck_out_tongue:
:slight_smile: sir, i already bought the book. naintriga ko sa comment mo eh. sinama ko na rin yung Tuesdays with Morrie! i’ll see if i can read it this weekend…:smiley: thanks. mukha ngang maganda…:slight_smile:

Sarevok

07-14-2006, 06:29 PM

:slight_smile: sir, i already bought the book. naintriga ko sa comment mo eh. sinama ko na rin yung Tuesdays with Morrie! i’ll see if i can read it this weekend…:smiley: thanks. mukha ngang maganda…:):eek: Ang dali mong nakabili a.hehe Huwag kang magpapadala sa mabasa mo ha.:smiley:

P.S. Tawagin mo nalng po akong Sarevok. nagpaparang matanda na kasi pakinggan pag “sir”.:smiley:

poulain

07-14-2006, 09:50 PM

meron po ba kayo Rise and Fall of the Third Reich byWilliam L. Shirer? d kc ako mkabili online… bka meron po kyo khit used na, bilhin ko na lng sa inyo, ok lng po ba? or The House on Prague Street by by Hanna Demetz

ugnayan

07-26-2006, 01:37 AM

This week I’m going to read 2 books: South Africa, Land of Contrast and When Grace Comes Home by Terry Johnson. Anyone has read these books?

cosmicbblgum

08-18-2006, 06:04 AM

The book that made me read books again : Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Its about Finance, but its not your regular self-help Finance book. Its not complicated, the author shared his views on Finance and his struggles. Basta ang ganda, pati mga suggested niyang books eh nabili ko ang ilan dun hehe.

Also try reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris. It made me realize lots of things about relationships and gave a whole new meaning to the word “courtship”, well for me at least. :wink:

puting tainga

08-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Aside from the Bible and a number of Christian books that I had to read, I read the following books this summer, just for fun.

“New York City Cabdriver’s Joke Book 1” by Jim Pietsch (Warner Books)
“New York City Cabdriver’s Joke Book 2” by Jim Pietsch (Warner Books)

Jim Pietsch was actually a cabdriver for a living.
Jim always asked his customers for their best jokes/
He also repeated jokes to his customers.
And that’s how he made these books.
In my car, I practice some of the good jokes for future use. (You don’t have to try to remember jokes. Good jokes just get stuck in your brain, as the author says.)

“Deception Point” by Dan Brown (Pocket Books)
After reading “Da Vinci Code” and “Angels & Demons”, nothing stops me from reading this.
His books are all exceedingly clever and fascinating and fun to read.
Everyone knows they are fictitious (=not based on true stories), and nothing to fuss over, I think.

supa_freak

08-26-2006, 08:32 PM

Finished reading ng SHOPAHOLIC Series by Sophie Kinsella, start with the Confessions of a shopaholic, Shopaholic takes manhattan, Shopaholic ties the knot and Shopaholic and sister. It’s a feel good books which will help one realized whats really important to achieve happiness. Just finished reading the Angels and Demons and currently reading Da Vinci Code both by Dan Brown.

Just a leisure reading, don’t take it seriously!

nabasa ko din po yung books ni sohpie kinsella,yung shopaholic series tsaka yung undomestic goddess…ganda no…nakakatuwa.Ts aka harry potter,darren shan,zenzele,to dance with a hite dog po ang i rerecommend ko.

Lock

08-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Lexy, Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll

oliver pulumbarit (http://saintvladymir.blogsp ot.com/)

http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/images/index_07.jpg
(http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/)
http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/images/index_06.jpg (http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/)
http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/images/index_08.jpg (http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/)

carlo vergara (http://visprint.net/publications/zsazsa/)

mOtt_erU

09-09-2006, 01:22 AM

I personaly recommend yung book na “RICH DAD, POOR DAD”…:slight_smile:
that`s my allTime favorite tsaka yung “True Phillipine Ghosts Story”, mahilig kase ako sa mga kowai hanashii:)

puting tainga

09-09-2006, 10:04 AM

>(#91)Suggest ko na basahin nyo ang The Catcher in The Rye, it’s a good read tsaka kontrobersyal ang librong ito

Yeah, that’s a great book.
When I was a student, I read it again and again and wept.
I can still remember a lot of phrases from it.

After a while, I realized nothing could be changed by the ways of Holden Caulfield, the protagonist and narrator of the story.
In a bizarre way, this book pushed me to the door of my Christian faith.

Heto ang link sa Wikipedia.

About the book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_R ye
The trivia section of this article is very intriguing.
Also, the same calculation I did years ago to determine the date of the events (logically determined to be Dec. 18-19, 1949) was in this article.

About the writer:

You will realize he may not be a happy person despite his fame and wealth. (This book is sold a lot even today.)

poulain

09-09-2006, 09:33 PM

>(#91)Suggest ko na basahin nyo ang The Catcher in The Rye, it’s a good read tsaka kontrobersyal ang librong ito

Yeah, that’s a great book.
When I was a student, I read it again and again and wept.
I can still remember a lot of phrases from it.

After a while, I realized nothing could be changed by the ways of Holden Caulfield, the protagonist and narrator of the story.
In a bizarre way, this book pushed me to the door of my Christian faith.

Heto ang link sa Wikipedia.

About the book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_R ye
The trivia section of this article is very intriguing.
Also, the same calculation I did years ago to determine the date of the events (logically determined to be Dec. 18-19, 1949) was in this article.

About the writer:

You will realize he may not be a happy person despite his fame and wealth. (This book is sold a lot even today.)

i read it twice and im starting to talk like Holden Caulfield!! haha reading it twice has not changed my perception of the story as intriguing and weird as it is… :smiley:

japina

09-10-2006, 11:40 AM

for me ang book na nabasa ko at very inspirational sa akin THE PRAYER OF JABEZ yan ang favorite ko.:slight_smile:

Lock

09-18-2006, 03:16 AM

I would recommend Out by Natsuo Kirino (http://www.kirino-natsuo.com/), crime-fiction. I beleive this was made into a movie a couple of years ago.

puting tainga

09-22-2006, 01:40 AM

Occasionally I read easy math books or popular science books.
Mainly it is just for fun.
It’s like an exercise of mind.

This week, I’ve been reading again “Applied Finite Mathematics” Mac-Graw-Hill. Inc.

This is a college level textbook for non-math-major students.
This is not the textbook I used when I was a student.
Years ago I bought this book at a church bazaar.
At a church bazaar! How bizarre!

When I was in high school I loved mathematics.
Because it is pure and fair.
I even borrowed college level books from the library and studied it.
But much as I loved mathematics, there was an invisible wall that prohibits me from going any further.
That’s why I abandoned the idea of becoming a math-major, let alone a mathematician.

Years later, I watched the movie “The Beautiful Mind” and I said thank the Lord I didn’t go insane.

yumiyumi

09-22-2006, 10:16 AM

Bob Ong’s “Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang mga Pilipino?” my all-time favorite. sarap magbasa nito&mapatawa ng husto habang cnasabi sa sarili "ai,oo nga noh:rolleyes: " hehehe.

jade_24

09-22-2006, 10:31 AM

Bob Ong’s “Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang mga Pilipino?” my all-time favorite. sarap magbasa nito&mapatawa ng husto habang cnasabi sa sarili "ai,oo nga noh:rolleyes: " hehehe.

yes! tama po kayo diyan. Ilang beses ko na nabasa ang book na ito ni Bob Ong… and I recommend this po coz bukod sa funny, very normal ang pagkakapresent because of the jokes pero makatotohanan, malalim ang nilalaman at mamahalin mo ang pagkapilipino mo sa kabila ng mga negative na bagay.

ugnayan

09-22-2006, 02:40 PM

I just read the Book of Joshua…Time to read more books as I balance my time here at TF. :smiley:

Lock

09-23-2006, 01:49 AM

naku next time, bibilhin ko na yung mga aklat ni Bob Ong!
gusto ko yung mga aklat ni Luwalhati Bautista, example ay DEKADA '70, naiyak ako dito! hebi!

goma_23

10-31-2006, 01:17 PM

Tuesdays with Morrie … very inspiring

Maliit lang yung book pero worth it!

I’ll be reading Art of War (recommended ,specially sa mga balak maging “ahead” sa race of life)

houseboy

10-31-2006, 08:07 PM

I’ll be reading Art of War (recommended ,specially sa mga balak maging “ahead” sa race of life)

In addition to that, please read also “THE PRINCE” by Machiavelli.:wink:

poulain

10-31-2006, 09:51 PM

korekek!!:slight_smile:

shzuokaOrfan

10-31-2006, 10:02 PM

OK din ang Jonathan Livingston Seagull ni Richard Bach, at ang The Old Man and The Sea ni Ernest Hemmingway. Wag din kalimutan ang bagong libro ni Paulo Coelho na The Alchemist.

Pahabol. (actually dapat nasa unahan 'to) paborito ko rin ang lahat ng Jack Ryan series ni Tom Clancy at iba pa niyang war/spy movies, wag lang yung Op Center series.

Last na 'to, pang all-time favorite din, “Le Petit Prince” ni Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

One of my all-time favorites is “Le Petit Prince” (The Little Prince). For those who haven’t read it yet, definitely recommended!

I had read both and I vote A & D against DVC.
I was not satisfied with DVC (fiction) so I also read one of Dan Brown’s references:
Holy Blood, Holy Grail (non-fiction), given by a friend. :slight_smile:

For LOTR fans, I recommend “The Hobbit”. Sana gawin ding pelikula to. I really like Bilbo’s adventure more than Frodo’s.

houseboy

10-31-2006, 10:03 PM

korekek!!:slight_smile:

Miss, swap tayo. Pahiram ng mga girly books mo. Baka yun ang kailangan ko para naman magkaroon ng konting kulay ang aking madilim na mundo.:):wink:

neg

11-04-2006, 10:39 AM

hello guys, i love reading too but i can`t find english books here in my place. gusto ko mga used kase very expensive kase yun new. baka meron po kayong patapon na books na pwede nyo po ishare, sakin nyo na lang po itapon, naku sasaluhin ko with both hands talaga. onegaishimasu:bowdow n:

poulain

11-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Wag din kalimutan ang bagong libro ni Paulo Coelho na The Alchemist.

one of my peyborit! and his 11 minutes… :slight_smile:

Miss, swap tayo. Pahiram ng mga girly books mo. Baka yun ang kailangan ko para naman magkaroon ng konting kulay ang aking madilim na mundo.

name it… ano gusto mo? kulayan kita jan eh… peace!

houseboy

11-09-2006, 08:40 PM

gusto ko fenk.:stuck_out_tongue:

poulain

11-09-2006, 08:44 PM

gusto ko fenk.:stuck_out_tongue:

fenk ba… gomen wala akong fenk… GREEN meron… heheh:D

sino po meron the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich… pa-swap po…!

halloween

11-13-2006, 11:39 PM

Just finished reading Angela’s Ashes.

Sino kaya magpapahiram sa 'kin ng 'TIs?

halloween

11-14-2006, 01:02 AM

Oh last call na 'to ha. Ala ba talagang mag-papahiram? Kung ayaw nyo eh di…
tulog na ko. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: hehehhehe!

McBONG

11-16-2006, 01:13 PM

How about Books History!
JAPAN and the PHILIPINES 1868-1898 by JOSEFA M.SANIEL
Dr.josefa m.saniel-dean of the U.P. Asian center,is a trailblazer in the research on the phillipine-japanese relation,and in the promotion of japanese studies.The 30-year period from 1868t to 1898 constitute a distinct chapter in Japanese-phillipine affairs,the problem of primary importance during this period concerns the interaction between Japan’s aspirations for equality with the Western powers on the other hand,and its immediate interest in the southwestern Pacific on the other.

JAPAN VIEWS the PHILIPPINES 1900-1944 by LYDIA N.YU-JOSE

JAPANESE OCCUPATION of the PHILIPPINES “a pictorial history” by Ricardo Trota Jose/Lydia Yu Jose
The RAPE of Nanking by Irish Chang-The new yorkTimes bestseller “A powerful.landmark book.Riveting in its horror”-Richard Rhodes

yomeryuutam

11-16-2006, 01:57 PM

buti pa ang mga tao d2 may time magbasa ng libro… ako gus2 ko ding nagbasa lalo na yung ke DAN BROWN at HARRY POTTER SERIES…
ang mga books ko lng puro magazine at cook book e…

McBONG

11-16-2006, 03:43 PM

JAPAN VIEWS THE PHILIPPINES by LYDIA N.JOSE-1900-1944 traces the development of japan’s interest in the phillippines from one of peaceful economic expansion to a violent military invasion and occupation of the country.It descrives how the advocates of Japan’s expansion advertized the philippines to prospectives Japanese entrepreneurs and immigrant workers.Through a presentation of selected speeches,autobiograp hies,magazine articles,and the like,the book exposes the japanese reaction to varied and changing politicoeconomic conditions in the phillippines.Set against the backgound of the american period and the commonwealth,Japan Views the Phillipines discusses the triangular interrelationship between japan and the phillipines,Japan and the united states and the United States and the Philippines.Unlike works on international relations that usually disregard the commom man as an actor in the development of national policies,the book gives equal,if not more,weight to the role of the ordinary Japanese in Japan’s decision to resort to war in order to protect her economic interest in the Philippines.
LYDIA N.YU-JOSE-currently the director of the Japanese studies program of Ateneo de Manila.Live and Studied in Japan.She holds the Ph.D.in in International Relations from Sophia University.She teaches political theory,Philippine-Japan relations,and Japanese history.She taught nihongo for several years at the Japanese Language School attached to the Japanese Embassy.Reciepent of several awards and scholarship,the japan Foundation Fellowship.the Japan Foundation Ph.D,notably the Japanese ministry of Education and scholarship.Publishe d articles in such Journals,Japan Bulletin,Japan quarterly.Philippine Journal for Language Teaching and Philippine Studies.

sharpener

11-22-2006, 06:32 AM

at last i found this book:) (ang saya saya ko)
The Lives of the Kings and Queens of England
para syang non fiction fairy tales

bading nga ba si William II??
it was written "Since neither mistresses nor illigitimate children are ever mentioned in connection with William II it is possible that he was a homosexual. He never married.

supa_freak

12-09-2006, 02:45 PM

I`m currently reading Blood Canticle by Anne Rice po.ganda ganda…pati yung ibang books na sulat nya ok din,yung Interview with the vampire tsaka the vampire Lestat.

supa_freak

12-09-2006, 02:46 PM

one of my peyborit! and his 11 minutes… :slight_smile:

tungkol saan po yung the alchemist?

docomo

12-09-2006, 05:00 PM

tungkol saan po yung the alchemist?

check it here> Amazon.com
a good read.:slight_smile:

supa_freak

12-10-2006, 05:14 PM

check it here> http://www.amazon.com/Alchemist-Fable-About-Following-Dream/dp/0062502182
a good read.:slight_smile:

thank u po:D

McBONG

12-10-2006, 11:09 PM

How about Books History!
JAPAN and the PHILIPINES 1868-1898 by JOSEFA M.SANIEL
Dr.josefa m.saniel-dean of the U.P. Asian center,is a trailblazer in the research on the phillipine-japanese relation,and in the promotion of japanese studies.The 30-year period from 1868t to 1898 constitute a distinct chapter in Japanese-phillipine affairs,the problem of primary importance during this period concerns the interaction between Japan’s aspirations for equality with the Western powers on the other hand,and its immediate interest in the southwestern Pacific on the other.

JAPAN VIEWS the PHILIPPINES 1900-1944 by LYDIA N.YU-JOSE

JAPANESE OCCUPATION of the PHILIPPINES “a pictorial history” by Ricardo Trota Jose/Lydia Yu Jose
The RAPE of Nanking by Irish Chang-The new yorkTimes bestseller “A powerful.landmark book.Riveting in its horror”-Richard Rhodes

If you know more about kanji,hiragana and katakana how about try to read this book?

This is an archived page from the former Timog Forum website.